Technical Squeaky clutch

Currently reading:
Technical Squeaky clutch

1tom10

Hi, I am new here and hoping to solve a couple of issues on my daughter's Fiat Panda.

The clutch squeaks when the peddle is pressed. I have the same issue on my CRV but I can sort it by spraying some GT85 on the mechanism above the pedal in the footwell. I have tried this on the Fiat Panda but so far no joy. Any guidance on how I can solve this.

Many thanks
Tom

The photo did not attach for some reason

Attachments

• 20231013_132850.JPG
    20231013_132850.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
Listen under the battery as someone presses the clutch down

It's likely to be the slave cylinder

Here one from a few weeks ago with advise on how to diagnose it

Last edited:
Listen under the battery as someone presses the clutch down

It's likely to be the slave cylinder

Here one from a few weeks ago with advise on how to diagnose it

Many thanks for this; I should have looked first. THANK YOU!

Agreed, I've had a squeaky sticking clutch slave cylinder when sitting in traffic in warm weather, it seems a pretty common symptom as they age.

I smeared some grease under the the slave boot and it's been fine since, but I expect the slave will need replacing in the not too distant.

Whilst you're busy giving your daughter's Panda a once-over, I'd also recommend checking these main rust-spots:
Rear axle spring pans
Engine oil sump pan
Coolant return pipe across front of engine

Both master and slave cylinders are plastic. As they wear, they get 'sticky'. First symptom is the squeak. Later they'll stick. Not what you want in the middle of a busy roundabout. Slave is easy to replace. Master is also easy, but can be expensive. There are some metal ones available as replacements, which should last longer.

Back