So you think youre obese?

Currently reading:
So you think youre obese?

This thread as made me hungry, grabbing a twister meal on the way home now.:yum:

I don't really know much about all this... I do go to the gym now, but even before I did I have never managed to put on weight. It will catch up with me one day, I guess.

1986Uno45S said:
Why is this? Why can I eat pretty much what I want and not put on weight? Why are their bodies so susceptable to weight gain compare with mine? Who knows, but it does go to show that there is more to being obese than simply over eating and not exercising (though I do agree that in many cases that is the primary problem).

2 words.... metabolism and somatatype.

nearly all of your will know about metabolism, peoples metabolic rate greatly differs, i for example have a fast metabolic rate, i have to forcefeed myself, drink protein shakes (over 600 calories and 80g of protein in 1 go) and im also on 5.6mg of creatine a day just to gain weight, and some people have slow rates, which means they gain weight really quickly, and a binge weekend can put several pounds onto their body weight.

the other will be new to most of you..... basically this is your body type.
there are 3 main body types, endomorph, mesomorph, and ectomorph, and everyone will have a certain ammount of all 3 types combined to give them the body they have.

now... it is a basic summary,

endomorphs usually naturally carry a larger ammount of body fat, are more "apple" shape, with a lot of the weight on their hips and thighs, these people will find it very easy to gain weight, and very hard to shift it!
endomorph.jpg

mesomorphs are more naturally muscular with the typical V shape, broard shoulders, even though they may not of worked out before... most body builder are this type, as they can pack on loads and loads of muscle!
mesomorph.jpg

and finally ectomorph
have a look at a marathon runner.... typic ectomorph, peter crouch is another fine example, tall, very very lean and defined, hardly any body fat on them, again a very very fast metabolism, and will also find it harder to put on weight. but that doesnt mean people can just go around eating burger king all day an not get fat.
ectomorph.jpg

you have to take bodytype seriously when lookin at y someone is over weight.... it will have a lot to do with it, and even more in later life when metabolism slows down so you naturally burn off fewer calories.

wow wat an essay.... all im sayin is that people who fall into the endomorph side of things need to watch wat they take in more carefully then ectomorph people, however... the muscluar mesomorph can also get very large when eating the wrong kinds of foods.

Im overweight bigtime but its only just started to niggle me and make me do something about it.

I was never small and I didnt eat all the crap you see on honey we are killing the kids being fed to kids.

I never aim to be small, or muscluar- im a cross really between an endomorph and mesomorph. Lokk like the first pic at the moment but I have big shoulders.

The muscles in my calfs are huge to- I dont train and dont run (altough up til about 5 years ago i cycled).

Its just one of those things. I eat next to naff all as well and I always feel hungry, but i have trained my head to stop going for food at the slightest twinge.

Take now for instance, I have been hungry since 3pm and I am going to start cooking our teas (spag bol, made fresh with peppers 'shrooms corgettes onion herbs mince tomatoes) at 7. Last year I would have eaten something in between and now I dont and im no hungrier now than I was then, so i can live with it.

Maybe I should see the doc aboiut getting hungry all the time?

paulbfd said:
Have you seen that "Honey we're killing the kids"? Those parents, especially these days when childhood obesity is common, should be ashamed of themselves, as the poor children are almost helpless :(

I think in the case of most people who are trying to diet (Charmed has hit this point in her post) is that it is a bit psycological (sp?).
You do have to be determined and also not be put off if you don't drop 5lb every week or whatever. Charmed, you seem to be in a good place mentally right right now, so you're onto a winner. Keep at it, the results will show and you can be proud of what you've achieved (y)

you spank u kind sir!!!!!

yes I have had a rough few moths with the old diet, but back on track!!!!

i have lost a few stone or three but it's not just about doing it, it is about keeping it off.

there are times for people when they can't do it, you hit periods of this and u work throught it like with everything in life.

I have the supoprt of people who love and care for me and that helps, I am more proud of my brother, he has lost nine stone in the last three years because he realised he needed to do this to be around for his three kids and his wife and do the fun things in life with them.

he never used to eat fruit n veg growing up and he only ate crap, but he has changed his diet around and now eats all those things whilst ai have mentioned in other threads running a pizza shop, think how hard that is for snacks n stuff

so if he can do it anyone can, but when people are ready there is no point in trying to force someone to do it, my other brother needs to but for the time being he's not ready, but when he is he will and he will have the support he needs, like everyone does from time to time.(y)

mase said:
drink protein shakes (over 600 calories and 80g of protein in 1 go) and im also on 5.6mg of creatine a day just to gain weight, and some

5.6mg? I hope that was a typo! You need at least 5 grams a day.

So I take it you've upped your protein then? Good lad.

80g in one shot is a little OTT though fella, if your getting 6 feeds a day, then 40g / meal should do the trick for now.

paulbfd said:
5.6mg? I hope that was a typo! You need at least 5 grams a day.

So I take it you've upped your protein then? Good lad.

80g in one shot is a little OTT though fella, if your getting 6 feeds a day, then 40g / meal should do the trick for now.

lol good point :eek: , 5600mg, so 5.6g a day yea!!!

and i think your right, trying to break it down into a few servings throughout the day, thing is... i dont have time to eat 6 times a day cause of the shifts / work i do, can only manage about 4.

but yea, give it a couple of weeks an ill be reporting back, but so far been really impressed with the creatine, allowed me to work a lot harder in the gym, and seem to be gettin bigger even though not puttin on much weight at the moment, so hopefully body fat is goin down as bit as well.

only time will tell. (y)

mase said:
lol good point :eek: , 5600mg, so 5.6g a day yea!!!

and i think your right, trying to break it down into a few servings throughout the day, thing is... i dont have time to eat 6 times a day cause of the shifts / work i do, can only manage about 4.

but yea, give it a couple of weeks an ill be reporting back, but so far been really impressed with the creatine, allowed me to work a lot harder in the gym, and seem to be gettin bigger even though not puttin on much weight at the moment, so hopefully body fat is goin down as bit as well.

only time will tell. (y)

:eek: You out of the midget category yet?

mase said:
pah... youve got another joke, but i dont think hes online :D

PMSL you can actually be quite amusing when you want :p
I have a turtle and an alien joke but they involve actions. :D And I think there's only about three people including myslef who ever found them funny :eek:

mase said:
i dont have time to eat 6 times a day cause of the shifts / work i do, can only manage about 4.

Could you not slip in a meal replacement or a weight gain in? Just bring one of those shakers to work, takes all of 2 minutes to mix and gulp down.

I had a tw@t for a boss once who didn't like me eating every 2-3 hours (even though I'm a desk jockey, sat in an office and not on the phones all day) so I just hid whilst eating in the computer room :D

Glad to hear things are going well though bud (y)

paulbfd said:
Could you not slip in a meal replacement or a weight gain in? Just bring one of those shakers to work, takes all of 2 minutes to mix and gulp down.

I had a tw@t for a boss once who didn't like me eating every 2-3 hours (even though I'm a desk jockey, sat in an office and not on the phones all day) so I just hid whilst eating in the computer room :D

Glad to hear things are going well though bud (y)

well i usually try to eat bits throughout the day, and have a protein shake after a workout.... i do think i could eat more tho, but its just a case of fitting it in during the day!

but yea, just gonna stick with it an see how it goes (y)

Back