Your most historic tool

Currently reading:
Your most historic tool

I do mean daily.

20 years ago I became addicted to them. Something not quite right was going on I think. Getting off them was extrordinarily difficult. Thankfully they withdrew that particular product. May be it was tge ooooh ahhhh gum......

Not something I use now but anyone like to hazard a guess what their purpose would have been in the vehicles tool kit.
Character.... Who wants an ev.... My dad used to have some of these old car spanners I reckon very very early 1900's. I love the look of these old things. ( I wouldnt want to use them though. i have a few from the 1920's and 30's probably and they just dont actually fit that well, and I dont think its all about wear either. They then moved on to box spanners. I have sent most of mine to the recyclers years ago after too many scraped knuckles. They may of course be old plumbers tap spanners.

I do mean daily.

20 years ago I became addicted to them. Something not quite right was going on I think. Getting off them was extrordinarily difficult. Thankfully they withdrew that particular product. May be it was tge ooooh ahhhh gum......
It's dolly mixtures for me. I can easily eat whole packet or even two in one go. Luckily they seem to have no effect on the "outcome" but can make me feel a little sick if i really O/D. I tend to be saved from myself though by the fact that they're not all that popular so quite difficult to find.

It's dolly mixtures for me. I can easily eat whole packet or even two in one go. Luckily they seem to have no effect on the "outcome" but can make me feel a little sick if i really O/D. I tend to be saved from myself though by the fact that they're not all that popular so quite difficult to find.
Ha ha. Lightweight. I used to buy the wine gums in lots of 8 or 10 packets... 250g each one. Unfortunatley I would eat 4 packs in the 4.8 miles from the supermarket to home, so I had to buy 8 or 10 packs. I have never managed to lose the weight I gained from my gluttony. I am sure they had an addictive ingedient. EVne 20 years on I salivate terribly when I think of these things. Thankfully Bassets wine gums are non addictive. God I miss the Lidl's ones. Thinking back its frightening how many I ate! Two packs of Dolly mix, you can be absolved of your sins with just one hail Mary!

To add, I was rooting around in a cabinet, looking for something else when I came across this Starrett dial indicator set while looking for something else.
3s0aKXKl.jpg

I don't know the age but I've had it for over thirty years. I bought it at a flea market for ten bucks.
That reminds me, I inherited a very old 25mm micrometer from my grandfather. It became mine over 35 years ago, and looked very old then. I was surprised it was metric and not inch.
That thing I was looking for...never did find it.
Happens to me so often.
A few years ago, was changing steering joints on brother's car. Went to the toolbox, no joint puller. Had it years, heavy duty, proper workshop tool. Searched the whole box, plus the entire garage. Eventually, gave up, trotted off out and bought a cheap one. It struggled, but did the job. Finished the work, popped the new one into the toolbox, on top of the one I couldn't find. Hiding in plain sight. Not the first duplicate, for the same reason. Always putting things back in the right place, sometimes does not work.
Luckily our home phone operates from a base station so I can wander all around the house with it - including the loo. You just have to hope no "unfortunate" noises are picked up!
I have a friend who talks for a long time. Many times the phone has stood on top of the cistern while continuing the chat. One time, the 'noises' were stereophonic, as he was doing the same thing.
1Kg of Lidl wine gums will do the trick.
Liquorice works well. As does a bar of Caramac, that's warm due to being left in the sun. (Don't ask me how I know)

Liquorice works well. As does a bar of Caramac, that's warm due to being left in the sun. (Don't ask me how I know)
Yes, my mum used to feed us liquorice to keep us "regular" when we were kids.

Caramac? now there's a name from the past. Can you still buy it, I've not seen it in years.

Yes, my mum used to feed us liquorice to keep us "regular" when we were kids.

Caramac? now there's a name from the past. Can you still buy it, I've not seen it in years.
Wine gums better for the opposite effect. Much better than taking disgusting medicine!

That reminds me, I inherited a very old 25mm micrometer from my grandfather. It became mine over 35 years ago, and looked very old then. I was surprised it was metric and not inch.

Happens to me so often.
A few years ago, was changing steering joints on brother's car. Went to the toolbox, no joint puller. Had it years, heavy duty, proper workshop tool. Searched the whole box, plus the entire garage. Eventually, gave up, trotted off out and bought a cheap one. It struggled, but did the job. Finished the work, popped the new one into the toolbox, on top of the one I couldn't find. Hiding in plain sight. Not the first duplicate, for the same reason. Always putting things back in the right place, sometimes does not work.
Odd, in a drawer full of Imperial measuring tools, I have a 25mm micrometer. I have no idea when or where I got it. The metric tape measures I have, I know where those came from. Anything I worked on, pre-retirement, was metric. Unless it came out of Canada.

That is the very same reason why I have two compression testers. The multiple 1/4" socket sets, wiring tools, and bags of cable ties usually were bought in the field. I'd bring what I needed for a certain machine and I'd get the dreaded, "While you're here." :cautious:
I'd go out with one sales guy on a trouble shooting mission, who is a decent enough wrench, and end up buying a certain tool and leaving it with him to keep in his truck for future visits. By the time I retired, I pretty much outfitted his truck. ;) Multi-meters, though, I kept.

Found these at the bottom of my old ‘gate fold’ toolbox…a reverseable screwdriver I made as an apprentice and my grandads old calipers he gave me wehn I was an apprentice…Moore & Wright, wonder if they’re still going in Sheffield?

Attachments

• IMG_8329.jpeg
    IMG_8329.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8330.jpeg
    IMG_8330.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
Found these at the bottom of my old ‘gate fold’ toolbox…a reverseable screwdriver I made as an apprentice and my grandads old calipers he gave me wehn I was an apprentice…Moore & Wright, wonder if they’re still going in Sheffield?
Turns out it is still going, now owned by Bowers Group of Bradford which, in turn, is owned by Spear and Jackson which, after being owned by lots of foreign companies, is now back to being british and headquartered in Sheffield

Turns out it is still going, now owned by Bowers Group of Bradford which, in turn, is owned by Spear and Jackson which, after being owned by lots of foreign companies, is now back to being british and headquartered in Sheffield
Glad to hear the news about Spear and Jackson. I've got a number of their older gardening tools. A very old "Never Bend" digging spade. These had an all one piece forged blade and really were indestructible. I also have several early wood saws and general hand tools all of which have been excellent. The newer stuff seemed to be of not quite such durable build so I started buying "Bulldog" branded stuff which has been pretty good. Having read your post above, might explain it. The only S&J thing I've bought relatively recently has been one of their glass fibre handled post hole diggers and it's been a good purchase. My previous one - actually one I borrowed - had wooden handles which were rather easily broken. The fibre glass ones are a wee bit more bendy but this is good because when they start to bend you know not to lean on them any harder whereas the wooden ones don't give much warning and snap before you realize it. I'll be paying more attention to S&J from now on.

I was surprised by S&J, it’s been owned by nearly everyone (bit like Wolf Tools and Einhell), got rubbished by the lot of them, including Stanley, but is now, seemingly, making half decent stuff again, (Like Wolf and Einhell).
I inherited some gardening tools of theirs from my g’dad and they lasted and lasted until a ‘friend’ borrowed them, broke the fork handle (no puns) and replaced the spade and fork with B&Q plastic jobs wehn he moved…the S&J never returned

I was surprised by S&J, it’s been owned by nearly everyone (bit like Wolf Tools and Einhell), got rubbished by the lot of them, including Stanley, but is now, seemingly, making half decent stuff again, (Like Wolf and Einhell).
I inherited some gardening tools of theirs from my g’dad and they lasted and lasted until a ‘friend’ borrowed them, broke the fork handle (no puns) and replaced the spade and fork with B&Q plastic jobs wehn he moved…the S&J never returned
I don't know about present day Stanley, a well respected name in my youth and I've never bought anything branded einhell, although I've seen the name around. My compressor is a Wolf Dakota belt drive, the model before this one: https://www.ukhs.tv/Wolf-Dakota-100-14CFM-3HP-150psi-Portable-Air-Compressor-100L although the only difference seems to be that mine's yellow. At the time it was quite a bit cheaper than similar from Machine Mart/SGS/etc but looked virtually identical, maybe all made in the same far eastern factory? I havered over whether to go with it or go back to my usual source, Machine Mart, for this sort of thing. In the end, with some trepidation, I went with the Wolf product (being a tight fisted Scotsman also influenced that) However mine has been boringly reliable - which reminds me I must do an oil change on it. By the way, for anyone considering buying a compressor when noise and annoying neighbours might be an issue, if you're considering a direct coupled type (which is the type where the motor drives the compressor directly, without a belt, then ask to hear it running before committing to buy. They can be UNBELIEVABLY LOUD! my belt driven jobbie is almost inaudible when the garage door is closed and quiet enough to easily hold a conversation standing next to it, I've not heard a direct coupled jobbie yet which you could honestly say that of.

I don't know about present day Stanley, a well respected name in my youth and I've never bought anything branded einhell, although I've seen the name around. My compressor is a Wolf Dakota belt drive, the model before this one: https://www.ukhs.tv/Wolf-Dakota-100-14CFM-3HP-150psi-Portable-Air-Compressor-100L although the only difference seems to be that mine's yellow. At the time it was quite a bit cheaper than similar from Machine Mart/SGS/etc but looked virtually identical, maybe all made in the same far eastern factory? I havered over whether to go with it or go back to my usual source, Machine Mart, for this sort of thing. In the end, with some trepidation, I went with the Wolf product (being a tight fisted Scotsman also influenced that) However mine has been boringly reliable - which reminds me I must do an oil change on it. By the way, for anyone considering buying a compressor when noise and annoying neighbours might be an issue, if you're considering a direct coupled type (which is the type where the motor drives the compressor directly, without a belt, then ask to hear it running before committing to buy. They can be UNBELIEVABLY LOUD! my belt driven jobbie is almost inaudible when the garage door is closed and quiet enough to easily hold a conversation standing next to it, I've not heard a direct coupled jobbie yet which you could honestly say that of.
Einhell was a respected German brand, got bought out by the usual ‘investor’ groups, I bought some 18v drill driver tools that were ****, got in touch with their ‘customer service’ and got an email from an ‘untrusted’ site…now they’re back under their own control, they’ve ‘allegedly’ improved QC…having said that, and I’ve detailed before on here, I will NOT buy bosch ever again

By the way, for anyone considering buying a compressor when noise and annoying neighbours might be an issue, if you're considering a direct coupled type (which is the type where the motor drives the compressor directly, without a belt, then ask to hear it running before committing to buy. They can be UNBELIEVABLY LOUD! my belt driven jobbie is almost inaudible when the garage door is closed and quiet enough to easily hold a conversation standing next to it, I've not heard a direct coupled jobbie yet which you could honestly say that of.
Ain’t that the truth. My nearly 30 year old Craftsman oil-less can make you jump when it starts. Worse when you are standing next to it and not using air. It also has been boringly reliable. I dread the day the tank rusts out and I have to replace it. I don’t know if anybody makes an affordable 30 gallon horizontal tank unit anymore.

Ain’t that the truth. My nearly 30 year old Craftsman oil-less can make you jump when it starts. Worse when you are standing next to it and not using air. It also has been boringly reliable. I dread the day the tank rusts out and I have to replace it. I don’t know if anybody makes an affordable 30 gallon horizontal tank unit anymore.
Around our way the auctions are full of knackered nearly new cheap compressors with good tanks.
My old HPC compressor was ancient when I bought from an engineers widow 40 years ago, I fitted a crank bearing around 30 years ago to it and another switch box but that is all. It will probably blow up tomorrow;).
This I am ashamed to say is it lurking under a work bench.

Attachments

• DSCF1262.JPG
    DSCF1262.JPG
    466.3 KB · Views: 10
Back