Your most historic tool

Currently reading:
Your most historic tool

You must have read my mind Jock. I emailed a tool collector this afternoon to try and obtain an idea of its value, just out of curiosity. I don’t think I’d sell it, but you never know!

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share all your knowledge about resharpening saws. I always find your posts fascinating and educational. I have a few older saws in my shed so I’m going to venture down the garden later to see if they are suitable for re sharpening and probably have a go. Always good to learn a new skill and it’s never too late to learn. 👍🏼😀

You must have read my mind Jock. I emailed a tool collector this afternoon to try and obtain an idea of its value, just out of curiosity. I don’t think I’d sell it, but you never know!

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share all your knowledge about resharpening saws. I always find your posts fascinating and educational. I have a few older saws in my shed so I’m going to venture down the garden later to see if they are suitable for re sharpening and probably have a go. Always good to learn a new skill and it’s never too late to learn. 👍🏼😀
I love old tools so if I owned it I'd probably not want to sell. However if it's worth "real money" then it becomes a bit of a problem?

Thanks for the kind words about my posts. I sometimes wonder if I do go on just a bit too much - don't want to be a boring "know it all". Probably comes with the territory after many years in the roll of trainer and later assessor. There's something very nice when you're using a saw you sharpened yourself and it's biting effortlessly into the workpiece. I find the secret is not to let it get too blunt before resharpening. That way you'll find each tooth only needs a couple of light strokes with the file to restore performance and it doesn't take long to do.

I love old tools so if I owned it I'd probably not want to sell. However if it's worth "real money" then it becomes a bit of a problem?

Thanks for the kind words about my posts. I sometimes wonder if I do go on just a bit too much - don't want to be a boring "know it all". Probably comes with the territory after many years in the roll of trainer and later assessor. There's something very nice when you're using a saw you sharpened yourself and it's biting effortlessly into the workpiece. I find the secret is not to let it get too blunt before resharpening. That way you'll find each tooth only needs a couple of light strokes with the file to restore performance and it doesn't take long to do.
Indeed. I suspect I’ll keep it, but it’d be nice to know whether I should insure it separately as a value item on my house insurance 🤣

Your welcome re your posts. I’d not worry at all. I’m sure the majority of people read them, learn from them and are interested by them as I am. If not they can always scroll past. They’re not forced to read them.😀

After the Mk1 my Dad had a Mk7 - the one with full depth rear wheel spats and I remember, as a very young lad, being out with him when we had a puncture and the "colourful" language he used when trying to get the spat off. Probably one of the only times I heard him swear until I was a lot older.

Regarding that picture, oh go on, please do!
Since you asked so nicely and just in case you are not sure , I am the one on the right. Where did those 64 years go?:)

Attachments

• DSCF1222.JPG
    DSCF1222.JPG
    455.7 KB · Views: 23
I was going to mention the "setting tool", no matter how sharp if no "set" it will jam in the cut.
Although as I have mentioned previously I would have preferred to do metal work at school , I did quite enjoy woodwork at school and could do hidden dove tail joints and all sorts back then, it was just that mechanicing doesn't mix with handling a nice piece of timber, the oil just soaks from your skin and ruins the wood.
I recall the woodwork teacher showing us how to wet grind and then finish blades on an oil stone and the pleasure of a sharp chisel just paring through wood. To this day I will always lay a wood plane on it's side, even if the blade has been retracted to prevent damage.

Since you asked so nicely and just in case you are not sure , I am the one on the right. Where did those 64 years go?:)
Thanks Mike, what a lovely picture. Yes indeed, where have all those years gone and why have they seemed to go so quickly?
I was going to mention the "setting tool", no matter how sharp if no "set" it will jam in the cut.
Although as I have mentioned previously I would have preferred to do metal work at school , I did quite enjoy woodwork at school and could do hidden dove tail joints and all sorts back then, it was just that mechanicing doesn't mix with handling a nice piece of timber, the oil just soaks from your skin and ruins the wood.
I recall the woodwork teacher showing us how to wet grind and then finish blades on an oil stone and the pleasure of a sharp chisel just paring through wood. To this day I will always lay a wood plane on it's side, even if the blade has been retracted to prevent damage.
My plane sits on a pad of foam rubber in the bottom of my tool box and is always laid on it's side when being used, obviously our woodwork teachers were not to be ignored! I remember being shown how to hone the blade in a figure 8 on an oilstone. So many things learned when so young and have never been forgotten when things I did yesterday I can't remember!

When I started in the trade in 1972, initially while still at school, the boss of the little garage gave me a small toolbox with a selection of basic tools. I still have them all. Some were new, some used.
Probably oldest is this King Dick adjustable spanner.
DSCF0453.JPG

It really is only 3 inches long, with a max opening of just half an inch. Very useful for small fixings in tight spaces.
It was originally in a small bespoke leather pouch, with a stud fastening, which is still around somewhere, but is getting old now. This would have been part of the included toolkit in a 1950s Rover P4, and the pouch was imprinted with the selling dealer's name.

Possibly a little older, is my bench vice. Also given to me by my first boss. This is a hefty 4" bench vice, bearing the name Paramo. This is apparently a very rare thing, as few were made, and only during the second World War. When needing new jaws a few years ago, I found some of the story. During the war, bench vices were required in ammunition factories, as well a other manufacture and repair workshops. The Record factory in Sheffield was bombed in 1940, and production of their vices passed quickly to Parramore, who initially copied it, but later changed a few details. Their production ceased soon after war ended in 1945. The jaws locating screws are slightly different to Record ones, so I had to enlarge the holes.

Last edited:
When I started in the trade in 1972, initially while still at school, the boss of the little garage gave me a small toolbox with a selection of basic tools. I still have them all. Some were new, some used.
View attachment 439766
It really is only 3 inches long, with a max opening of just half an inch. Very useful for small fixings in tight spaces.
It was originally in a small bespoke leather pouch, with a stud fastening, which is still around somewhere, but is getting old now. This would have been part of the included toolkit in a 1950s Rover P4, and the pouch was imprinted with the selling dealer's name.

Possibly a little older, is my bench vice. Also given to me by my first boss. This is a hefty 4" bench vice, bearing the name Paramo. This is apparently a very rare thing, as few were made, and only during the second World War. When needing new jaws a few years ago, I found some of the story. During the war, bench vices were required in ammunition factories, as well a other manufacture and repair workshops. The Record factory in Sheffield was bombed in 1940, and production of their vices passed quickly to Parramore, who initially copied it, but later changed a few details. Their production ceased soon after war ended in 1945. The jaws locating screws are slightly different to Record ones, so I had to enlarge the holes.
I'm fascinated by the tale of your vice - Don't think I've heard of a Paramo, although there's something vaguely familiar about the sound of the name. I have a Record 84 with 4.5 inch wide jaws which I was lucky enough to be allowed to take when new vices were being installed in our workshop:

P1110670.JPG

It was the best of the ones which were being scrapped but even so wasn't in great condition. After stripping it and cleaning it, I mounted it at 45 degrees across the corner of my workbench so I could get longer work pieces in it without them fouling the wall. Must have been about 40 years ago and I wasn't expecting it to last me out like this.

The wee adjustable King Dick reminded me that I too have one of these:

P1110669.JPG

It's maybe a little bigger than yours, being as how those vice jaws are 4.5 inches wide and it doesn't have a leather pouch to live in. It lives in a cantilever tool box which contains my plumbing tools and it's got a big brother somewhere. Haven't used either in a very long time though as I've learned to mistrust adjustable spanners due to their propensity for rounding off the corners on nuts and bolts. There's something very attractive about the design though don't you agree?

View attachment 439777

It's maybe a little bigger than yours, being as how those vice jaws are 4.5 inches wide and it doesn't have a leather pouch to live in. It lives in a cantilever tool box which contains my plumbing tools and it's got a big brother somewhere. Haven't used either in a very long time though as I've learned to mistrust adjustable spanners due to their propensity for rounding off the corners on nuts and bolts. There's something very attractive about the design though don't you agree?
They made them in lots of sizes. Better than the average adjustable, as the jaws are better controlled, so less likely to round things off. As they get bigger, the leverage available is often not enough. Great for tight spaces though, and often easier, due to the offset, than a conventional spanner. I have a larger one too, given to me at the same time, no idea of its age. Mine opens to just over an inch, I think. Not often used, but might be a good weapon, as it is quite a heavy chunk of metal.

I got this little mechanical tachometer from my grandfather in the late sixties.
KrxmoJgl.jpg

It belonged to my great grandfather and he used it to check the rpm on steam tractor PTOs during threshing. My grandfather used it on hit and miss engines and for check PTO speeds the McCormick-Deering tractors while threshing.

Grandpa was tickled when he got this hand held AC tachometer. He didn't need his pocket watch to time it like the old one.
on6yzkbl.jpg

I got this little mechanical tachometer from my grandfather in the late sixties.
KrxmoJgl.jpg

It belonged to my great grandfather and he used it to check the rpm on steam tractor PTOs during threshing. My grandfather used it on hit and miss engines and for check PTO speeds the McCormick-Deering tractors while threshing.

Grandpa was tickled when he got this hand held AC tachometer. He didn't need his pocket watch to time it like the old one.
on6yzkbl.jpg
That's a lovely little bit of kit, I doubt many of us would have been able to identify.:)

That's a lovely little bit of kit, I doubt many of us would have been able to identify.:)
When I hung around tractor shows in the late sixties and early seventies, I'd bring it with me and play that game. The one guy that would identify it was usually in his late seventies, early eighties. Then he'd test my knowledge. That's how I learned that 6 seconds x 10 or 10 seconds x 6 beat the heck out having to hold that little stinker against a rotating shaft for a whole minute.

View attachment 439766

Hah!

I was rummaging yesterday, and I was just saying to my daughter.... I am really hungry, I could have some breakfast, or, I could go and photograph some old spnnaers for teh Fiat Forum.

Her response? Go and have some bloody breakfast you silly old man....

My response Some of my hammers, dad kept everything and some of these date back to around 1890 from his grandfather.... Its suprising how many still get used. I mean, a mans got to sort stuff innit!

Brace n Bit drill. These were Woolworths c 1930 apparently you could get a pile of tools for 6d each. The little hand drill needed fettling, and Im ashamed to say I took it apart and through lack of patience put the chuck parts aside adn cann find them. Is the little hand drill was a finger pincher my heart isnt in finding teh bits to repair it. Imagine repairing a 90 year old drill!

Black and Decker c 1980. Inherited from Dad. It made a frightful screetch. Changing teh gearbox grease sorted it. Still a really good drill when power is needed.

Tesco Economy drill by comparrison. Yuck, sparks and smoke. Outside works where it might get broken.... sadly it still goes on but it was £7 so cheap.

This hand saw was a junk shop find by dad 40 odd years ago. He always said it was a good saw, and I didnt believe him. It will cut through a 6"x4" slab of timber quicker than the time taken to get the electric chain saw out, safer and far more satisfying too. Probably around 1900 vintage.

Williams torque wrench from around 1970 still in regular use.
TBC

Attachments

• 20240320_150239.jpg
    20240320_150239.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240322_110949.jpg
    20240322_110949.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240320_152207.jpg
    20240320_152207.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240320_152243.jpg
    20240320_152243.jpg
    982.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240322_111119.jpg
    20240322_111119.jpg
    938.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240320_150655.jpg
    20240320_150655.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
Its too difficult to keep adding to one post so herewith more boring stuff.

I cannot stop buying these things. I have used this a couple of times! the little combination spanner is 10mm
My garage defender there jsut cost me £56 for a new barrel and keys!!!

To go with Portlamnd Bills (big) small adjustable my King DIck short 1/2inch extension. This is INDESTRUCTABLE and the extra weight and girth means its incredibly useful for starting things off and undoing without a handle. Absolutely top quality tools.

Snippers. Ok so brand new, but what a simply incredible piece of kit. Used for cutting those plastic edgings when tiling. Worth their weight in GOLD every day of the week.

Trolley jacks. Just cheap ones. The older one leaked like a drain when new until City Works Norwich made a new piston and bored the pump out for me its been in use for 35 years now and still good but the lift is a bit short soemtimes, hence the newer one. You can see the hockey puck for teh Panda sills. One in each car with instructions to KILL anyone who doesnt use it. I think about £8 off eBay and worth every penny.

Dads big wrench. Another Woolworths 6d! c.1930. This thing is crude but my goodness Ive seen it do a LOT of very very heavy work over the last 60 years. It sits next my biggest socket 1 and 7/8 inch I think and a 10mm socket. This is responsible for my ruined back caused by undoing the hub nut on my old A40 the wrong way.... That was a substantial nut.

There are probably more old tools lurking but I cant remember so many.

Last pic my newest socket set. £80 off eBay. The ratchet wouldnt work. I think someone decided to putm it on mege cheap. Half an our with a wire brush on the drill, and some fine files sorted that. Its not really French....

Attachments

• 20240321_123818.jpg
    20240321_123818.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240320_152037.jpg
    20240320_152037.jpg
    1,008.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240320_152019.jpg
    20240320_152019.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240320_151041.jpg
    20240320_151041.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240320_150208.jpg
    20240320_150208.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240320_150310.jpg
    20240320_150310.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240320_150344.jpg
    20240320_150344.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I'm fascinated by the tale of your vice - Don't think I've heard of a Paramo, although there's something vaguely familiar about the sound of the name. I have a Record 84 with 4.5 inch wide jaws which I was lucky enough to be allowed to take when new vices were being installed in our workshop:

View attachment 439774

It was the best of the ones which were being scrapped but even so wasn't in great condition. After stripping it and cleaning it, I mounted it at 45 degrees across the corner of my workbench so I could get longer work pieces in it without them fouling the wall. Must have been about 40 years ago and I wasn't expecting it to last me out like this.

View attachment 439777

Great quality tools. Now I have a littel Britool adjstable that is really small. Its also quite a nice quality wrench precise so good for tiny nuts. I havnt seen that for a while, another search and resuce effort is required.

Great quality tools. Now I have a littel Britool adjstable that is really small. Its also quite a nice quality wrench precise so good for tiny nuts. I havnt seen that for a while, another search and resuce effort is required.
Just did a google search for Paramo tools and lots of very interesting stuff popped up. Seems they went into receivership in 2003 but their foundry and workshops closed before that. They seem to have started off making stove-grate castings and then were commissioned by Record to make the castings for their vices. Then in the second world war, when the record factory was bombed, they started making the finished article. Wonder if mine was made by them?

Now I have a littel Britool adjstable that is really small. Its also quite a nice quality wrench precise so good for tiny nuts.
Aye, as many of us older chaps will know Britool was a very well respected brand back when we were all starting off in our trade. Snap On has always had more "street cred" though and, although I bought into the Britool branded stuff - and have never regretted it - a lot of "the lads" would only buy from the Snap On van and some of them were running up enormous debt. Don't get me wrong, the Snap On stuff is lovely and was famous for their no quibble replacement policy but I just couldn't see my way round some of the prices. My Dad was an engineer during the war - spent most of his war in Burma building bridges and airstrips - and he told me Britool was a name often seen on the British tools. Most of the Britool stuff I have was bought in the late 60s/early 70s when, in my opinion, Britool were at the height of their powers. They were bought by Facom around 1990 and seem to have faded from popularity with the motor trade after then. One of my greatest regrets is that I sold some of my Britool stuff to a younger chap, who'd been pestering me when he learned I was moving on into a more instructional roll. I've since replaced most of it with perfectly satisfactory branded tools like Bergen, Nielsen, Draper expert, Laser and others, but i wish I'd kept the Britool stuff.

Aye, as many of us older chaps will know Britool was a very well respected brand back when we were all starting off in our trade. Snap On has always had more "street cred" though and, although I bought into the Britool branded stuff - and have never regretted it - a lot of "the lads" would only buy from the Snap On van and some of them were running up enormous debt. Don't get me wrong, the Snap On stuff is lovely and was famous for their no quibble replacement policy but I just couldn't see my way round some of the prices. My Dad was an engineer during the war - spent most of his war in Burma building bridges and airstrips - and he told me Britool was a name often seen on the British tools. Most of the Britool stuff I have was bought in the late 60s/early 70s when, in my opinion, Britool were at the height of their powers. They were bought by Facom around 1990 and seem to have faded from popularity with the motor trade after then. One of my greatest regrets is that I sold some of my Britool stuff to a younger chap, who'd been pestering me when he learned I was moving on into a more instructional roll. I've since replaced most of it with perfectly satisfactory branded tools like Bergen, Nielsen, Draper expert, Laser and others, but i wish I'd kept the Britool stuff.
I only have this tiny adjustable and one ring spanner from around 1975. I totally agree about quality. Its a half in 9/16 so interchangable with 13/14mm and has had a huge amount of use and shows no signs of wear or abuse to which its been subjected. Its doubtless dowwn tothe quality of the steel and back then British steel was the best in the world.. I suppose thats the underlying reason it all failed. The stuff was so good there was not much repeat business as the old things just went on for ever.

Back