Your most historic tool

Currently reading:
Your most historic tool

I was rummaging yesterday, and I was just saying to my daughter.... I am really hungry, I could have some breakfast, or, I could go and photograph some old spnnaers for teh Fiat Forum.

Her response? Go and have some bloody breakfast you silly old man....

My response Some of my hammers, dad kept everything and some of these date back to around 1890 from his grandfather.... Its suprising how many still get used. I mean, a mans got to sort stuff innit!

Brace n Bit drill. These were Woolworths c 1930 apparently you could get a pile of tools for 6d each. The little hand drill needed fettling, and Im ashamed to say I took it apart and through lack of patience put the chuck parts aside adn cann find them. Is the little hand drill was a finger pincher my heart isnt in finding teh bits to repair it. Imagine repairing a 90 year old drill!

Black and Decker c 1980. Inherited from Dad. It made a frightful screetch. Changing teh gearbox grease sorted it. Still a really good drill when power is needed.

Tesco Economy drill by comparrison. Yuck, sparks and smoke. Outside works where it might get broken.... sadly it still goes on but it was £7 so cheap.

This hand saw was a junk shop find by dad 40 odd years ago. He always said it was a good saw, and I didnt believe him. It will cut through a 6"x4" slab of timber quicker than the time taken to get the electric chain saw out, safer and far more satisfying too. Probably around 1900 vintage.

Williams torque wrench from around 1970 still in regular use.
TBC
I love that all metal drill, looks really good doesn't it. My oldest drill is this one:

P1110711.JPG

Which I must have bought back in the early '70s. In my ignorance I didn't realize how limited it's uses would be and almost right away went out and bought a Black and Decker electric drill - which accounts for the excellent condition of this wee hand drill, it's never been used in anger! The Black and Decker was the cheapest one they did at that time and, although good value for money, didn't last all that long before it burnt out - like your's, quite spectacularly, with sparks and smoke! I replaced it with this more powerful 350 Watt 2 speed Black and Decker:

P1110710.JPG

Single speed motor and no impact action but, as you can see, came in a lovely box which has stood the test of time. This drill has done just so much work over the years and is still going strong although I've twice stripped it down, washed out the gearbox and regreased. The brushes are still, amazingly, the originals!

As I became more ambitious I bought a variable speed Black and Decker with impact function - I think it was around 600 Watts - but, after some heavy use and at about 2 years old, it started making a noise like it had chipped a tooth in it's gearbox. At that time Machine Mart started sending me invitations to their VAT free events and I just couldn't resist their 1200 watt 2 speed impact drill:

P1110708.JPG

Not only does it have a 2 speed gearbox and impact action which can be turned on or off but also an infinitely - within limits - variable motor speed. Here it is alongside the "trusty" old Black and Decker so you can compare the two.

P1110709.JPG

The Machine Mart drill is quite a bit bigger, a lot heavier and much more powerful. It pretty much does everything I could ask of a mains powered electric drill and I've bought a drill stand for it so I can accurately drill stuff on the bench. It's pretty weighty and, although manageable for intermittent normal use, I wouldn't like to be hefting it around for hours on end.

Shortly after I bought it a neighbour asked if I could lend him an electric drill. I normally wouldn't do this - I've lent tools before and, on occasion, regretted it so really just don't do it any more. However, on this occasion, there was the "sick" variable speed drill so I thought "why not", explained the problem to him and said if it broke not to worry as I knew there was something wrong with it. He had it for about a week and I heard a lot of drilling going on. When he gave it back to me it wasn't making the noise any more and has worked just fine ever since! One of these days I'll strip the gearbox and have a look see. My oldest boy has it just now.

I'm afraid the story doesn't stop here though. There had to be a "silly" end to this didn't there?

Either Aldi or Lidl, I don't now remember which one it was, had a batch of really heavy duty SDS impact drills. I'd looked at them a few times when we'd been in shopping - Power Craft branded, made in China, 1500 watts and noticed they weren't exactly flying off the shelf. I think there were probably about 10 originally which slowly dwindled over the weeks until there were just 3 left which just seemed to sit there week on week. Then, one day, there were only two with a heavily discounted "special" price and I just couldn't resist:

P1110706.JPG

The thing's absolutely humonous, just look at it alongside the wee Black and Decker:

P1110707.JPG

The set included drills, chisels, a 13mm chuck and other stuff but, of course, there was also a set of extra long drills in the next bin so I bought them too.

P1110705.JPG

Good sales presentation Aldi/Lidl! You may also have noticed a really really long drill just in front of the case? I made that to drill through cavity walls when we were doing my boy's flat to facilitate installing electric wiring. Some of these were sandstone blocks as it was an old tenement building. This drill is just short of 3ft long (and I made it myself by brazing the drill bit into the end of a mild steel rod) and with the power of this big drill behind it the drill went through like I was drilling butter! It operates at relatively low RPM and the impact rate is much slower than your traditional impact drill but it's brutal, just goes through stuff like it isn't there! You do have to be a bit careful though because if the drill bit jams it'll break your wrist before you can get it stopped! The other problem with it is it's just so heavy. Probably a good thing I don't need to use it very often. Silly purchase but nice to have "just in case" and is just about justifiable at the price I paid.

I love that all metal drill, looks really good doesn't it. My oldest drill is this one:

View attachment 440564

Which I must have bought back in the early '70s. In my ignorance I didn't realize how limited it's uses would be and almost right away went out and bought a Black and Decker electric drill - which accounts for the excellent condition of this wee hand drill, it's never been used in anger! The Black and Decker was the cheapest one they did at that time and, although good value for money, didn't last all that long before it burnt out - like your's, quite spectacularly, with sparks and smoke! I replaced it with this more powerful 350 Watt 2 speed Black and Decker:

View attachment 440565

Single speed motor and no impact action but, as you can see, came in a lovely box which has stood the test of time. This drill has done just so much work over the years and is still going strong although I've twice stripped it down, washed out the gearbox and regreased. The brushes are still, amazingly, the originals!

As I became more ambitious I bought a variable speed Black and Decker with impact function - I think it was around 600 Watts - but, after some heavy use and at about 2 years old, it started making a noise like it had chipped a tooth in it's gearbox. At that time Machine Mart started sending me invitations to their VAT free events and I just couldn't resist their 1200 watt 2 speed impact drill:

View attachment 440566

Not only does it have a 2 speed gearbox and impact action which can be turned on or off but also an infinitely - within limits - variable motor speed. Here it is alongside the "trusty" old Black and Decker so you can compare the two.

View attachment 440567

The Machine Mart drill is quite a bit bigger, a lot heavier and much more powerful. It pretty much does everything I could ask of a mains powered electric drill and I've bought a drill stand for it so I can accurately drill stuff on the bench. It's pretty weighty and, although manageable for intermittent normal use, I wouldn't like to be hefting it around for hours on end.

Shortly after I bought it a neighbour asked if I could lend him an electric drill. I normally wouldn't do this - I've lent tools before and, on occasion, regretted it so really just don't do it any more. However, on this occasion, there was the "sick" variable speed drill so I thought "why not", explained the problem to him and said if it broke not to worry as I knew there was something wrong with it. He had it for about a week and I heard a lot of drilling going on. When he gave it back to me it wasn't making the noise any more and has worked just fine ever since! One of these days I'll strip the gearbox and have a look see. My oldest boy has it just now.

I'm afraid the story doesn't stop here though. There had to be a "silly" end to this didn't there?

Either Aldi or Lidl, I don't now remember which one it was, had a batch of really heavy duty SDS impact drills. I'd looked at them a few times when we'd been in shopping - Power Craft branded, made in China, 1500 watts and noticed they weren't exactly flying off the shelf. I think there were probably about 10 originally which slowly dwindled over the weeks until there were just 3 left which just seemed to sit there week on week. Then, one day, there were only two with a heavily discounted "special" price and I just couldn't resist:

View attachment 440570

The thing's absolutely humonous, just look at it alongside the wee Black and Decker:

View attachment 440571

The set included drills, chisels, a 13mm chuck and other stuff but, of course, there was also a set of extra long drills in the next bin so I bought them too.

View attachment 440572

Good sales presentation Aldi/Lidl! You may also have noticed a really really long drill just in front of the case? I made that to drill through cavity walls when we were doing my boy's flat to facilitate installing electric wiring. Some of these were sandstone blocks as it was an old tenement building. This drill is just short of 3ft long (and I made it myself by brazing the drill bit into the end of a mild steel rod) and with the power of this big drill behind it the drill went through like I was drilling butter! It operates at relatively low RPM and the impact rate is much slower than your traditional impact drill but it's brutal, just goes through stuff like it isn't there! You do have to be a bit careful though because if the drill bit jams it'll break your wrist before you can get it stopped! The other problem with it is it's just so heavy. Probably a good thing I don't need to use it very often. Silly purchase but nice to have "just in case" and is just about justifiable at the price I paid.
Ha ha, I have an almost identical SDS from ALdi. Its a beast of a thing. I bought it for breaking concrete, and its very effective, and also good gor drilling through walls for drains etc. I bored several 1.5 inch holes through for the solar main cable from house to garage with great ease. The elephant in teh room however is vibration. Having tested the thing its vibration level on hammer action drilling / chiseling is high giving a safe working time of.... wait for it.... yep thats about the safe working time. (18 seconds a day) I dont use it often but bear it in mind!

Ive had a welter of drills and burned them all out drillling for rawl bolts on walls and concrete or for drain pipesand plumbing through walls. The black and decker I have is the same model, but many years older, as one I bought which came with an early battery drill free, That little drill really did some work, and went on for years until the battery died. Replacements of type or even rating and size just were not available so sadly it too was replaced. I have two battery drills the Ryobi brushless one has automatic torque control and is massively powerful for its size but it has a sensitive thermal cut out that limits my abuse. Probably a good thing. The battery is now 10 years old and still seems sound.

I have found its really useful to have two cordless drills so you can drill with one and screw drive with the other when doing things like flooring. Sometimes three would be useful!

One thing is sure, the new drills are not as strong as the old ones.

I am trying to get my youngest into a house, we have had the bid submitted and Im just hoping this time we manage to complete without being gazumped. The target aquisition needs a pretty comprehensive renovation so the power tools are going to be needed again. Then I am going to have to do our bathroom and kitchen... Sure thing after thats done I am selling my tools, ladders, scaffolding and packing in these daft jobs! Dads building firm will be declared bankrupt and closed forever.

Last edited:
... there was also a set of extra long drills in the next bin so I bought them too.

View attachment 440572
Hmm. I thought that drill set looks familiar.
I bought the same set at a ridiculously low price from a What! store.
They are marked as Draper, but they were so cheap (£13 IIRC) that I've always thought they were either mis-priced or fakes !
(to appreciate their size, the bottom one is 22mm dia and 35cm end-to-end).
IMG_2278.JPG

I love that all metal drill, looks really good doesn't it.
Actually its not nice to use. I do from time to time just nostagia thinking of dad using it though.. My new one works much easier. I must oil the pivots. The little hand drill I have is like yours but half the size. Not used often as you say but handy from time to time. The chuck was always better than anew one but it needed cleaning and Ive lost hte inside bits somewhere.

They are marked as Draper, but they were so cheap (£13 IIRC) that I've always thought they were either mis-priced or fakes !
View attachment 440620
Me too exactly the same. They are cheap though. The individual ones I have of a better quality do a better job, but for occasional use they do a job. Mine are all well used and probably ready for replacement.

View attachment 440620
Aye, same set I'd guess. Can't remember what I paid for them but they would have been cheap, Good enough for the limited use they'll get with me.

Not so long ago I'd have commented they were probably made by a wee chap in a back street in the East somewhere sweating away to turn out as many as he can for a limited profit. However now it's more likely to be a very slick large factory turning these sets out by the million and this will be only one of many lines they are making.

I could probably add the new to me 1932 Craftsman/Atlas 918 lathe.
NlhNiRrl.jpg

From what I've learned, it was the first small lathe marketed to the home hobbiest. 918 means a 9" swing and 18" between centers. I understand that they were available up 54"

I've been working on it if the weather is conducive to me getting to the garage and staying dry. I have the babbitted main shaft shimmed to zero play, all new belts, dealing with the play in the compounds, and generally cleaning it up. I learned how to grind HS cutting tools in high school, but it's been well over 50 years ago. I bought a couple of blanks but also got a couple brazed carbide tools just to get things moving.

First real project will be to machine a new counter shaft for it. The driven side bearing surface is shot. That was the steel I bought. I'll do the length, OD, and the lube passages. My neighbor has a mill and I'll have him do the keyways. Other up coming projects will be bronze valve guides for my old Ural heads and possibly outer bearing races for the counter shaft. Those seem like they may be cast iron. We'll see. No rush.

To add, I was rooting around in a cabinet, looking for something else when I came across this Starrett dial indicator set while looking for something else.
3s0aKXKl.jpg

I don't know the age but I've had it for over thirty years. I bought it at a flea market for ten bucks.

I set it up and compared it to my digital dial indicator and the two are pretty close. I need to put a new crystal on the dial before I put it back into service. That should be here mid week.

That thing I was looking for...never did find it.

It's like that every time I go in my garage and to make it worse sometimes I will walk from my car for a tool, get to the garage and forget what it was and have to go back to remind myself.:)
Oh, yeah. And daily, too. It hasn't gotten bad enough that I've forgotten why I've walked into the bathroom. Yet.

To add, I was rooting around in a cabinet, looking for something else when I came across this Starrett dial indicator set while looking for something else.
3s0aKXKl.jpg

I don't know the age but I've had it for over thirty years. I bought it at a flea market for ten bucks.

I set it up and compared it to my digital dial indicator and the two are pretty close. I need to put a new crystal on the dial before I put it back into service. That should be here mid week.

That thing I was looking for...never did find it.
I love old sets like this, in their own, usually beautifully made, wooden boxes, nearly always with a sliding lid which slides smoothly despite being umpty tumpty years old. I have a couple of DTI's like this but not with anything like as comprehensive a kit of mountings etc as this one. I also have a selection of 6 Micrometers in suitably stepped sizes to measure everything from a strimmer/blower little end to the crankshaft mains on larger car engines. Now a days I rarely have anything out to measure other than the occasional cam follower shim.

I read somewhere that adult nappies are outselling baby ones in Japan.;)
I must say that having had quite a bit of tummy trouble over recent years I'm absolutely dreading the possibility of becoming incontinent. I suppose if it comes about I'll just have to get on with it (as the Paras say) but I find the prospect quite frightening.

I must say that having had quite a bit of tummy trouble over recent years I'm absolutely dreading the possibility of becoming incontinent. I suppose if it comes about I'll just have to get on with it (as the Paras say) but I find the prospect quite frightening.
I have been incompetent for years.
A bit like being accused of illiteracy/illiterate and you reply "No I was at the wedding";)

Towards the end of a long phone call to one of my sisters, I say I must go soon I need the toilet, then after a bit I say Oh, it's OK now!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
My sister, who lives about 2 hours west of Boston Mass, is awful for keeping me on the phone. Our phone package includes calls abroad for the first hour. Go over that hour though and boy, it costs you. Luckily our home phone has a call timer on it so I remind her when I call her, and put the phone down when it hits 59 minutes whether she's stopped talking or not!

In all fairness, I love it when she rings, or I ring her as we are quite close but, having that great big pond between us, we don't see anything like enough of each other. We were over there a couple of years ago and she's now talking about maybe coming over this summer as her husband's health is in long term permanent decline and, if they don't come soon they may not be able to come at all. Anyway, we both, now in our late 70s, find the travel and airport nonsense very tiring so may not be able to do it much longer.

Luckily our home phone operates from a base station so I can wander all around the house with it - including the loo. You just have to hope no "unfortunate" noises are picked up!

1Kg of Lidl wine gums will do the trick.

Back