Snow Accesories (Socks Etc)

Currently reading:
Snow Accesories (Socks Etc)

Hi guys,

so i thought id prepare my self just incase the snow comes again....

I travel alot for work and work is a good distance away on alot of back roads.

I was thinking about a set of snow socks for the GTi and maybe some for the parents cars?!

Does anyone have any? been looking at a few and wondering which are best:
Snow Socks:

Also what else do people carry in weather? spade? etc?

Jon

If there is a possibility of being stranded in snow drifts or breaking down you could also carry blankets / sleeping bag and army supplies like food packs and drinks that heat themselves up. Anything that will keep you warm and hydrated.

I got the socks off ebay - absolutely fantastic.
Not as easy to fit as they make out though - but may be because I have wide tyres? (also makes them tighter to get off)

But I wouldn't be without them.
My current pair are 3 years old & used quite a bit last winter - even got me up a couple of places where 4x4s were struggling. Had loads of people asking me about them last year as I drove around through thick sbnow & ice with no problems whatsoever.
Only downside i could think of is the max speed of 30mph on tarmac - do I spend a few minutes removing them only to have to put them back on later?
Mine have started to show signs of age, some snagging / wearing of the surface but still very serviceable.
As for which of the three choices you go for - well, mine have the mesh covering the centre of the wheel with the cross bands - making removal slightly easier.

People seem to think that a really heavy vehicle or front wheel drive or a 4x4 is essential for winter driving - wrong, I was driving up roads even the 4x4s were struggling up - huge knobbly tyres are no good on almost slick ice whereas the 'knitted' surface of the sock provides for an almost infinite grippy surface of cross hatching.

On a similar vein, as kids we alwasy kept the manky knitted socks our nans always made for us to put over our wellies - to provide extra grip in snow and ice, often people don't believe you when you tell them - but I saw an episode of bear grylls the other day, he was trying to cross a glacier & his top tip was to take your socks off & put them over the boots to provide grip.
People have been using this tech for years.

Next time your gran asks you what you want for xmas, tell her to knit some tyre socks :devil:

Hi, what make were the tyre socks?

On the handy carrying bag it says in large letters
MULTI GRIP
and in one corner, smaller letters
SUMEX

So, presumably, multi grip tyre socks by sumex?

Just had a quick look and there seems to be just the one seller flooding the sales area, wants £50 inc free postage (probably what i paid for mine? so if mine last this year they will have cost me £12.50)
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=...e+socks&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

interestingly, there are loads of chains listed and they advise max speed 30mph and not to be used on snow-free roads.
Whereas the socks have the same speed limit on snow-free roads (and presumably on snow as well?) - with the added bonus that when you drag them out next year, they won't have rusted together.

BTW, in the good old days (when i was young & very poor) I 'reallocated' a load of cable ties, the really long, meaty ones and utilised them as makeshift snowchains. In thick snow, 8 around the tyre did a great job, especially if I left the knobbly bit just on the tyre tread.

Last edited:
Got one of these beauties.

HiaTH07Q90A7jHc.jpg

In strong winds it holds on more than a half-life headcrab. Fold down the flaps and the weather can't get to your face, or to be more specific around the head.

Mine has no badge though. Didn't attach one.

Last edited:
Back