Sick pay

Currently reading:
Sick pay

most of you may know i'm out of work at the moment due to having my apendix removed.

i phoned work and they have told be i will only receive SSP because i've only been working there less than a year permantly, however i have been there about 15 months total, this is only £15ish a day which unfortunaly doesnt even pay my small bills.

i asked nicely if they could take it out of my holiday as i'm never going to use up the holiday i have left anyway (over 3 weeks IIRC) but they said no :(

does that seem fair?

instred i'm not left without choice but to go back to work next week, i might go in friday if i get the car back from the garage, and possibly book holiday or just grin and bear it.....

Well unless your contract states paid sick pay then yes, all you will get is SSP after 3 days (I believe is when it kicks in). As a contractor, my contract states SSP but when I was ill for 2 days I just told them that I don't like that and they gave me full pay; but you don't seem to be in a position to do that.

I am not sure whether you are allowed to state exactly when you want to take your holiday, doubtful. Just remember though that you will get more this way than taking holiday, just you will get the money at a later date.

:confused: how do you figure? i normally get ~£200/week when working, now i'll only get ~£75/week on SSP, when i take my holiday i wont get paid more?

just means i'd get paid normally for being sick....

Think about it....

You take your holiday allocation now and you use up your holiday allocation, it's not 'free' money whilst SSP is in this case. If you had SSP now then you would simply be able to gain the holiday pay at a later date meaning that you gain the SSP over using holiday pay now.

Unless of course your employer/your circumstances mean you will lose the holiday pay or holiday time?!

Hence the "Just remember though that you will get more this way than taking holiday, just you will get the money at a later date."

If you took holiday pay you may be a little better off for this week but not overall, unless you get paid weekly and have weekly outgoings then you shouldn't notice it much. A decent employer should try to help you though.

Hence the "Just remember though that you will get more this way than taking holiday, just you will get the money at a later date."

If you took holiday pay you may be a little better off for this week but not overall, unless you get paid weekly and have weekly outgoings then you shouldn't notice it much. A decent employer should try to help you though.
all well and good paul but you cant defer the rent etc . sometimes you need the cash now.
looks like you need to visit the bank of ma n pa

Of course but a small amount of planning would mean that it wouldn't be necessary, but if Ryan has zero savings then of course it's not possible. If paid monthly, a week of pay at 30% of normal shouldn't be the end of the world to anybody, it just means £125 less in a month for Ryan's pay given above. Even with zero savings that should surely be doable for the mass majority, it just means £30 less a week overall, afterall.

Maybe I just plan ahead too much though!

Of course but a small amount of planning would mean that it wouldn't be necessary, but if Ryan has zero savings then of course it's not possible. If paid monthly, a week of pay at 30% of normal shouldn't be the end of the world to anybody, it just means £125 less in a month for Ryan's pay given above. Even with zero savings that should surely be doable for the mass majority, it just means £30 less a week overall, afterall.

Maybe I just plan ahead too much though!

all well and good paul.
and no offence here but you come from a 'decent' background so perhaps dont know how hard it can be in life sometimes.
ive been through times(not so long ago!) where a tenner was a fortune so you cant say that a drop of any amount is negatable

But I have never called on my parents for money in that way as far as I can remember because I always keep some just incase - as I say, that's because I plan for eventualities, not because I am from a 'decent' background!

This is going OT though, Ryan has had his question answered :)

But I have never called on my parents for money in that way as far as I can remember because I always keep some just incase - as I say, that's because I plan for eventualities, not because I am from a 'decent' background!

This is going OT though, Ryan has had his question answered :)

Custard is right, things aren't always that simple when you have to rely on nothing but your own low wage. I've been in similar positions more than once.

I was of for month with back injury on SSP..........had to take out a £500 loan to pay the bills........now no matter how bad/sick I feel I gotta go in,just got to get on with it.

Unfortunally (and NOT meaning anyone here) but from what I have seen those who get full pay when sick often 'milk' the system especially when hungover!

Back