Technical Shocks and springs

Currently reading:
Technical Shocks and springs

I've 2008 1.4 95k on the clock. New to me.

Drivers side looks like it's done the miles and top nuts more rust than metal. NS replaced '21 @78k but looks cheap and flackie. Spring not changed.

So anybody tuppence worth on where or what as replacement?

Thanks

I've 2008 1.4 95k on the clock. New to me.

Drivers side looks like it's done the miles and top nuts more rust than metal. NS replaced '21 @78k but looks cheap and flackie. Spring not changed.

So anybody tuppence worth on where or what as replacement?

Thanks
Probably the front has been replaced to some extent. The rear is probably untouched since new, so rear shocks would be my preference for best price to ride improvement.

Best to drive it for a few weeks and see where its heaviest.

How much lifetime left in the car?
Personally I buy most if not all from Ebay
Lemforder lower control arms and top bearing mounts
Shocks and springs personal choice but go for known branded
Febi drop links and dust covers
Ebay top "cups" and covers

Check condition of rear beam axle
Thanks. Back end disks and pads recent.

Working along underside, so will check axle.

Bodywork is good so maybe she's (old school) in better nick than me 😏.

Probably the front has been replaced to some extent. The rear is probably untouched since new, so rear shocks would be my preference for best price to ride improvement.

Thanks.
Think your right about rear end.

Hopefully get front end back and get the beastie out 🚗👍

I'd trust nothing from ebay that my life depends on, so many 'genuine' parts that oddly have an address in shenzhen

Worked front to back, rear axle will scrub up, thanks John202020 👍.
Landfill required for debris behind wheel arch liners 😝.
Shocks and bumps are gone. Springs ragged but beyond me to test.
I don't do Chinatown, Autodoc and affiliated.
Any suggestions for quality labels?
Thanks.

Rear springs

Rear shocks

Rear bump stops

QH shocks

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Removed old bits and some scrubbing (axle) and resealing to do before refit.
Caught with pants down so S4p bits on order. Was going to follow john202020 which I should have done 😞. See how I go but appreciate your help.

Parts arrived but one shock box had been opened and label torn off. Shock had a scratch through to metal.
Phoned to let them know. Sent photos as requested and no response!
I've touched up the strut and suspension all fitted.
I didn't want anything other than a hands up apology for it being sent out as it was.
Anyway Shop 4 parts not again for me. Front suspension definitely not!

Tad strong and somewhat tenuous 🤔.
Opinions differ!!! .
I myself do wonder about things such as the folk whom purchase a "NEW Chinese manufactured MG" car are they comfortable supporting the Chinese economy so much?.
Might be born of ignorance but I personally harbour a huge amount of distrust towards this countrys government and its political policys and actions(such as constantly hacking western powers computer systems!) Lies regarding the origins of Covid etc!. mistreatment of its own population and internal minority groups!.

I do my best not to buy directly ANY product from China, but as GETTING BETTER has said most things are bought in by NON- CHINESE companys then re-branded( and substantualy marked up in price!) and sold on,- the sad truth is it is becoming more and more difficult to be certain where any item you purchase was produced!, which makes making an informed choice based on your principles virtually impossible!.

I use Ebay as I cannot afford anywhere else, but I choose carefully use a Power seller look at the feed back etc, not had an issue with say my Lemforder branded parts any Ebay seller wont last long if they sell inferior parts? My QH branded coated front discs and pads were £30 all in a year or so ago and again no issues.

Monro shocks are OEM and available cheaply on the net. Google them and buy froma known authorised dealer. I have used KYM and wouldnt choose them again although they worked fine tehy only lasted around 5 years. Magneti Marelli also good and Bilstein are excellent but supplied me with shocks fitted with the wrong bottom bush size.

Monro shocks are OEM and available cheaply on the net. Google them and buy froma known authorised dealer. I have used KYM and wouldnt choose them again although they worked fine tehy only lasted around 5 years. Magneti Marelli also good and Bilstein are excellent but supplied me with shocks fitted with the wrong bottom bush size.
Is that KYB?
Just fitting KYB front shocks and springs and put Magneti on rears.
Keeping Brasil, Czech, Poland and Italy on the 'made in' labels 😂👍.

Must confess to 4 rubber grommets from Espania (£2.99 Chinatown) 😞.

6 hours getting dropped links off cooled my ardour a tad. Lots of good Anglo Saxon phrases and a bit of skin.

A wee pointer on the front 2 strut bolts. Insert from front to rear. Mine wrong way and brake pipe blocks impact wrench🤔.

Back