Technical Shocks and springs

Currently reading:
Technical Shocks and springs

Is that KYB?
Just fitting KYB front shocks and springs and put Magneti on rears.
Keeping Brasil, Czech, Poland and Italy on the 'made in' labels 😂👍.

Must confess to 4 rubber grommets from Espania (£2.99 Chinatown) 😞.

6 hours getting dropped links off cooled my ardour a tad. Lots of good Anglo Saxon phrases and a bit of skin.

A wee pointer on the front 2 strut bolts. Insert from front to rear. Mine wrong way and brake pipe blocks impact wrench🤔.
Yes. They worked fine when fitted. Mine lasted c 5 years which I feel is a bit short lived, but in fairness its probably enough on todays awful roads. I dont think place of manufacture is an issue as its the quality control that matters and that should eb universal these days.

6 hours getting dropped links off cooled my ardour a tad
A thin cutting disc in a small angle grinder could have turned 6 hours into six minutes.

On mine, out of the four securing nuts, one unscrewed easily, one took a bit of effort & WD40, and two had to be cut off. They'd been on the 13 yr old car since new.

Fortunately most of the replacements come with new nuts.

Glad I didn't buy a lottery ticket 😂.

I got 1 nut off, 1 bolt head rounded and cut off 3 nuts. Drop links only 1 nut off. This after a week of Gasplus and tweaking.

Anyway new bits arrived 👍.

Interested that KYB on YouTube show the securing nuts inserted rear to front, but instructions received showing front to rear 🤔.

Other than access to the bolt (see post 20) is there a reason for one or other?

A thin cutting disc in a small angle grinder could have turned 6 hours into six minutes.

On mine, out of the four securing nuts, one unscrewed easily, one took a bit of effort & WD40, and two had to be cut off. They'd been on the 13 yr old car since new.

Fortunately most of the replacements come with new nuts.
The first one I did took two days…could t get the top one undone….eventually had to order a nut cutter… yes a multi tool probably would have done it if I’d had one

There are a few options for a grinder, either slice the nut off and usually the bad thread is gone, plus heat, means the bit left is easy.

Or if it spins, and on some you cant get the angle for the nut, cut into the ball so you can lock with a big screwdriver.

Or if a grinder wont fit, then get creative and cut chunks of the nut off at whatever angle you can get.

Every time I do drop links I have some deluded idea that they'll just unbolt and not need the grinder.

Or if a grinder wont fit
Dead easy on a 500; there's plenty of room; just use a cutting disc on a grinder.

There's a little battery powered cutoff grinder that turns up in the middle ailse at Lidl from time to time that's cheap and perfect for the job (and quite a few other ones); worth buying if you come across one
s-l960.jpg

Last edited:
Back