General Red Key

Currently reading:
General Red Key

Re: red key

Shunter said:
I got the code card with my car.

It has two codes on it, immobiliser code and mechanical code.

I dont really know how come I got my code card as there is an arrangement between Fiat and the insurance companies not to issue the cards in the UK
is yours an import? the sei i had had the code card also that was a uk car

Everyone laugh at me.

Got the punto, came from secondhand dealer with the red key and the two smaller blue keys. Thought i better go get the red copied as there was only one.

Sooooooooooo after about 2 months I go and get the red copyed for £25, realize it looks just like the other blue ones. Which I thought were, and had been using as petrol cap keys. Horrible sinking feeling in my chest as i try one of the old blues in the ignition.

Car starts.

I start feeling stupid.

Can someone reassure me that my punto elx july 2000 model doesnt have the red key,my 2 blue ones both have the number 2 and the triangle and circle on them.
t-i-a clio

D4NS said:
Basically if your immobiliser kicks in ur buggered to put it bluntley. lol. Easiest way round it is to chip it, but to be honest the chances ull ever need it are slim to none. (y)
Where can I get a chip from and how much are they?
My dads 96 Brava won't start at the moment because of the immobiliser, would getting a chip sort this? Would He be better off sending the ecu to that codeman guy?

Hey there.

My car is a 1999 fiat punto 1.2i 16v. I bought this car off a friend, and all i recieived in terms of keys is one Blue key. That is it. I am kinda concerned now I have read this forum.

-Andy- said:
Hey there.

My car is a 1999 fiat punto 1.2i 16v. I bought this car off a friend, and all i recieived in terms of keys is one Blue key. That is it. I am kinda concerned now I have read this forum.
is it a mk1? if so it should have 2 blue and a red, you can(should) get the blue cloned at good key cutters, you may never need the red key but its worth asking friend if he has it.

will disconnecting the battery make me need the red key was thinking of wiring some amps up and neons???

just making sur ei dont have to send £170 to codeguy lol for new key's

what exactly will the red key be used for i know its to reprogram then blue ones if u happen to get a new 1 but what else???

fair enuf :D

i have 2 blue keys altho only 1 works the alarm can i get anotehr alrm key cut???

also im not worried about disconnecting the battery now if the code alert doesnt come on from doing it

gaz_wrexham said:
FIAT will supply you with the security code, contact your local one, you should get it within a week

Is it free of charge??

Also, I have the RED key only, can i clone a spare one too?

Last edited:
Hi, new to the forum (first post).

Just bought my daughter a punto T reg sx 60 (her first car).

Problem: after reading this thread I am a little concerned about the Red key situation.

The car was supplied with a Red key and a Blue key, however the Blue key only fits the door and boot and the Red key fits the Ignition. I can only assume that the ignition has been broken before and replaced.

Anyway this leaves her driving the car using the Red key, which I believe is a big "No-No".

So should I get a blue key cloned from the red key for the ignition? where from? How much should I pay?

Can someone explain exactly why a Red key should not be used on a regular basis?

thanks
Rimsey

Last edited:
Rimsey said:
Hi, new to the forum (first post).

Just bought my daughter a punto T reg sx 60 (her first car).

Problem: after reading this thread I am a little concerned about the Red key situation.

The car was supplied with a Red key and a Blue key, however the Blue key only fits the door and boot and the Red key fits the Ignition. I can only assume that the ignition has been broken before and replaced.

Anyway this leaves her driving the car using the Red key, which I believe is a big "No-No".

So should I get a blue key cloned from the red key for the ignition? where from? How much should I pay?

Can someone explain exactly why a Red key should not be used on a regular basis?
thanks
Rimsey

because everytime you use the red key it erases all your driving habits and has to learn again so tbh dont use it unless its needed to reset your ecu :D

Back