General Red Key

Currently reading:
General Red Key

you only need red key if something goes wrong. if for some reason you need a new key or need your existing keys reprogrammed to deactivate the imobiliser they use the info stored on the red key. if you dont have that. then they have to replace all the keys and immobiliser and i think maybe even the ecu????

you will most proubaly never need it its for imobliser problems or to reprograme 2 new blues in that are cloned off a red, if you only have 1 blue key and you car is between late 1995 and 2000 get it cloned now, if the car is out side of these dates it would have never had a red key :)

Last edited:
Good answers guys why not make this sticky it seems to come up every week!

I've just bought my 4th Fiat car last week, s/h from a local car auction. It came supplied with 2 x Blue keys that both work OK.
Looking at the user manual it would seem that this car never had the dreaded 'Red Key' system tha my previous vehicles had.
My only concern is that i don't have the Security code card for this vehicle, which is needed for the Emergency start -up procedure.
Is it possible to get a replacement card from Fiat, or at least find out what the code is for my vehicle ?

Last edited:
red key

This week I bought my first ever FIAT. A 2000 (W) Punto HGT.

I seem to be reading a few things about the "Red Key".

Mine came with two Blue keys but no Red!

Should I have a Red Key for this car?

By the way - great forum here, I will be spending some considerable time here I think.

Re: red key

Mk 2 punto's have CODE2 system rather than CODE1 previously fitted on FIAT/ALFA ROMEO.

There should be only blue keys- minimum of 2 at any one time, although upto 8 can be programmed.

When you order CODE1 keys they need to be cut to profile, but CODE2 keys are ordered by the cars chassis number and come precut.

Last edited:

If I'm right in saying, these code 2 keys are the ones with a little triangle and circle symbol near to the key itself? So if they have that then it's the newer type that doesn't need a red key. Not having had one myself, I'm not too sure.

It's not the be all and end all if you don't have the red key, There's guys on the Coop forum that have run coops for 5 years + without needing it.
It only costs about £200 to have a new one done as well.

Thanks for all your help! - I like it here - great Site!

I have checked my owners handbook and it is the Code 2 system as you say two blue keys no mention of a "red key".

It does mention something about if the "key light" comes on the dash a "code" needs to be input that should have been supplied on a card? for use in "emergency starting" - Don't have this either- Again - do you think I need the code - Do you think FIAT will be kind enough to supply it to me / are they able to supply it to me?-

I have had no experience of dealing with FIAT as yet - based on what I have read so far I might deal with one of the two independant FIAT servicing garages local to me here in Stockton on Tees.

yeah if the code light comes on and stays on there then is a problem.

the card does not exist the manual says it does but it dont i think that was for euopre .in uk the actually codes are held by fiat or by someone for fiat cant remember wich now. and you are supposed to phone them up to get the code. when you need it

I got the code card with my car.

It has two codes on it, immobiliser code and mechanical code.

I dont really know how come I got my code card as there is an arrangement between Fiat and the insurance companies not to issue the cards in the UK

Back