Technical Rear caliper tool

Currently reading:
Technical Rear caliper tool

Question, I'm going to replace the rear discs and pads on my 2014 panda 4x4, does anyone know the size of the piston on the caliper as I'm going make a tool to wind the brake piston in, I know it's going to be a pita getting the discs off having take out the hub bolts to get at the carrier bolts but the size would be handy in advance before i get started swearing at it lol

Question, I'm going to replace the rear discs and pads on my 2014 panda 4x4, does anyone know the size of the piston on the caliper as I'm going make a tool to wind the brake piston in, I know it's going to be a pita getting the discs off having take out the hub bolts to get at the carrier bolts but the size would be handy in advance before i get started swearing at it lol
You don't have to remove the hub bolts (this is a myth that gets regurgitated regularly on here)! It is one way to do it and some professional workshops take this route to save time; do look for @yellow car's post on here. Why risk screwing up the wheel bearings?

With respect to piston retraction, I was able to do it with a G-cramp and adjustable spanner to provide the rotation, you can also use a generic tool which may be as little as £15 if you do the research.

I also have a laser tool which has a reversible die, it's never failed to retract any pistons, including the Panda, from memory think it turns clockwise.

I've also done it with moderate pressure and a set of needle nose pliers in a pinch.

You don't have to remove the hub bolts (this is a myth that gets regurgitated regularly on here)! It is one way to do it and some professional workshops take this route to save time; do look for @yellow car's post on here. Why risk screwing up the wheel bearings?

With respect to piston retraction, I was able to do it with a G-cramp and adjustable spanner to provide the rotation, you can also use a generic tool which may be as little as £15 if you do the research.
Cool I was going to undo the 4 bolts around the hub bearing holder to rotate the hub to get to the caliper carrier allen keys, I'm a great believer in fabricating my own tools, tightarse possibly but I call it practical🤣🤣

Not sure about your link there.. ?
You are right - typed too quickly. This Yellowcar, this thread https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/4x4-rear-brake-discs.437398/page-3

1711128526459.png

Cool I was going to undo the 4 bolts around the hub bearing holder to rotate the hub to get to the caliper carrier allen keys, I'm a great believer in fabricating my own tools, tightarse possibly but I call it practical🤣🤣
Totally with you there, not tightarse just more satisfying, indeed that was me a few years ago. These days the (relative) cost of tools has become more affordable (maybe I have just lost sight of relative values?) and I have more pressure on my time, but a G-cramp and spanner does work if nothing is seized.

Just ordered brembo discs and pads from autodoc they had a caliper cube tool for a fiver so I got one of them too, I got a day or two next week while I'm doing them I'm going to wire brush the subframe down paint and bilt hamber treat it love doing stuff like this 😀

The Fiat (and Alfa) Workshop replace the rear discs in an hour, and do it by removing the hub nut. People talk of the bearing falling apart, but has anyone actually had this happen? Also, folk report it’s a part you can’t obtain if it does fall apart… but check the part number and you’ll spot it’s the same as the front :)

The Fiat (and Alfa) Workshop replace the rear discs in an hour, and do it by removing the hub nut. People talk of the bearing falling apart, but has anyone actually had this happen? Also, folk report it’s a part you can’t obtain if it does fall apart… but check the part number and you’ll spot it’s the same as the front :)
I'm going to try my method 1st I'm pretty good with mechanics as I work on garden machinery for a living, some of the axles I work with on ride ons are full gear mechs, so this to me is simple I cracked the tight threads on the left rear hub lunchtime so they will come out nice and easy and Monday lunchtime I will crack off the right rear hub bolts, so there ready for Thursdays work if worst comes to worst I will pull the drive shafts and press in new bearings if they get knackered, thanks for the bearing tip I intent to keep this great car on the road till I retire 10+ years down the line

I'm going to try my method 1st I'm pretty good with mechanics as I work on garden machinery for a living, some of the axles I work with on ride ons are full gear mechs, so this to me is simple I cracked the tight threads on the left rear hub lunchtime so they will come out nice and easy and Monday lunchtime I will crack off the right rear hub bolts, so there ready for Thursdays work if worst comes to worst I will pull the drive shafts and press in new bearings if they get knackered, thanks for the bearing tip I intent to keep this great car on the road till I retire 10+ years down the line
I actually did wonder whether it was a load of puff as I've never encountered a bearing break taking out a driveshaft spose there's only one way to find out lol

Just ordered brembo discs and pads from autodoc they had a caliper cube tool for a fiver so I got one of them too, I got a day or two next week while I'm doing them I'm going to wire brush the subframe down paint and bilt hamber treat it love doing stuff like this 😀
Do you want to do mine too LOL

I'm gonna get the Mrs winging at me about spending too much time working on my car so no lol, I ain't got the heart to tell her I enjoy working on my motor more than I do being with her she'd probably divorce me, then again perhaps I should tell her🤣🤣🤣
Im definitely not going to dare you!

I'm gonna get the Mrs winging at me about spending too much time working on my car so no lol, I ain't got the heart to tell her I enjoy working on my motor more than I do being with her she'd probably divorce me, then again perhaps I should tell her🤣🤣🤣
Maybe give her the option to pay for a workshop to do the work..?

When they replaced your discs did they changed the hub bearings? as tomorrow is my discs day to be changed was going to do it at the weekend but hadvto much on

Eh up steevetee55

I’m reading this thread with interest as I’ve always opted to dismantle and replace the discs without splitting /removing the hub bearing.

You clearly know your way around spanner’s, I can only add I recently did my BMW e90 hub bearings and these were a first class ba85tard 🤬

There was no way I could split these and needed all unsundry of tools from my arsenal to remove and then reseat new bearings.

I’m interested in seeing how you get on, im sure I added some tips/findings to Yellowcars thread at the time as I did it by attacking it from the rear. I reckon I do discs n pads in an hour and half a side now I know the knack, if that gives you an idea on time verses risk.

Really interested to see your views , it’s really useful to have a group of members who share their experience and knowledge 👍

Eh up steevetee55

I’m reading this thread with interest as I’ve always opted to dismantle and replace the discs without splitting /removing the hub bearing.

You clearly know your way around spanner’s, I can only add I recently did my BMW e90 hub bearings and these were a first class ba85tard 🤬

There was no way I could split these and needed all unsundry of tools from my arsenal to remove and then reseat new bearings.

I’m interested in seeing how you get on, im sure I added some tips/findings to Yellowcars thread at the time as I did it by attacking it from the rear. I reckon I do discs n pads in an hour and half a side now I know the knack, if that gives you an idea on time verses risk.

Really interested to see your views , it’s really useful to have a group of members who share their experience and knowledge 👍
When I do them I will take photos of everything I do I might try one side the yellowcar way and the other side by removing the hub, and see if I can get the wheel hub off without knacking the wheel bearing, what annoys me is if fiat had used their noodle they wouldn't have hidden the caliper carriers bolt behind the bloody subframe!

Back