Technical Fit new rubber guards on the brake caliper slider pins

Currently reading:
Technical Fit new rubber guards on the brake caliper slider pins

StanZlatan

So i am thinking to replace the old rubber guards on my caliper pins. Every time we changed the break pads the pins are so dirty .. till last month right handside pads wore off more and pins did not slide well ending up scratching my disk. No visible oil on caliper.
When i asked about the rubber guards i saw on youtube my mechanic who is a friend ex manager from amazon told me there is no such guards on my model as there is no space. Now i trust him far more then many other mechanics i have been to. I also saw its little space but i think the original creators put some protection in place. Do you guys know the right rubber parts for this job for my model? I think its not these but to give you idea i post them:

When i asked about the rubber guards i saw on youtube my mechanic who is a friend ex manager from amazon told me there is no such guards on my model as there is no space.
He's wrong.

The caliper slide pin (there's only one per caliper) is protected by a rubber boot. The other end of the caliper just has a fixed retaining pin, which isn't protected.

If the car has been driven for any length of time with the slide pin gaiter completely missing, I'd expect there'd be so much wear that replacing the caliper complete is the only sensible option. Sometimes they split (be careful when tightening the pin that you don't pinch it), in which case they should be replaced, using a rubber-safe grease. The fixed retaining pin isn't critical but I do use a smear of lubricant when reassembing these.

Last edited:
He's wrong.

The caliper slide pin (there's only one per caliper) is protected by a rubber boot. The other end of the caliper just has a fixed retaining pin, which isn't protected.

If the car has been driven for any length of time with the slide pin gaiter completely missing, I'd expect there'd be so much wear that replacing the caliper complete is the only sensible option. Sometimes they split (be careful when tightening the pin that you don't pinch it), in which case they should be replaced, using a rubber-safe grease. The fixed retaining pin isn't critical but I do use a smear of lubricant when reassembing these.
Thank you so much for this reply! It helped me a lot. Yet another thing i dont like is he clean the calipera with the wire brush drill. He says its faster and no scratches. What do you think is it safe to wire brush the caliper pins?

He's wrong.

Totally agree. My Waze was delivered with teh end plugs missing. Fiat wanted £60 fro a full set of rubber. While I dont know the parts they are freely available on eBay and from shop4Parts and Autodoc ect and the price for a set is c £15. I feel that even slight wear is the cause of a lot of teh Panda brake disc rusting that has been discussed on here. New calipers are not expensive and have totally resolved this issue on our 169. I would positively recommend do the caliper unless you are replacimg these dust covers as a routing]e / preventative measure. That £15 is a chunk of the caliper cost.

He's wrong.

What are you defining as the caliper slide pin? I definitely have two on each caliper on the rear of 2012 4x4. Have it apart on the drive, hence doing a bit of supplemental reading.

Back