1388360881283.jpg

Punto (Mk1) Punto gt turbo restoration

Introduction

Lets get it started
Status
Not open for further replies.
i like the work being undertaken here.

quick question as i have to address some holes that have appeared on the rear drivers inner wing. looking at the photo with the quarter panel outer removed i can see the inner wheel arch. it is on this section that i have 3 rust holes about an inch or so in diameter and am keen to get them sorted. i also have another hole up near the filler cap. with the rear quarter on and all components removed is it possible do you think to carry out satisfactory patch repairs to these areas? the outer bodywork is mint and i dont really want to go to the expense of having that removed just to access the inner arch skin.

also (out of interest) would you or your mate (not sure who has been doing the welding) be able to tackle this for me? i could remove all the trims etc but not sure if welding so close to the outer skin would affect my clean paintwork....i can PM you some pics if ness. i need to tidy the passenger side too but only along the straight edge at the top of the arch thats more easily accessed from inside the car having removed the carpet that lines the left hand side.

thanks

Hi it is possible to weld from the inside with the rear quarter trims removed you can see quite alot of the inner wheel arch unfortunately I had a falling out with the feller who owned the body shop where I carried out all my welding so im unable to help you out so sorry about that :( but if you can clean back the metal and make plates that cover the area rivit and bond is passable at an mot station hope this as helped :thumbup:

2 ways of repairing -- plate, which is simply welded over the top of the rust, or a butt weld, where the rot is cut out and a patch welded in to fit the hole.

The first will generally get the car through an MOT, but condemns the car to death -- rust will simply spread beneath the patch and continue to spread. So, the second is infinitely preferable.

Any repair in the rear wheel arch will almost certainly be in a prescribed area (see the MOT stuff on line for details) so rivet and bond won't be acceptable unless the part was originally constructed that way (it certainly wasn't).

MOT men have seen it all -- they're not easily fooled, and the rules get tighter every year.

Still, it's a bit of welding, nothing special. Any decent local garage should be able to sort it.

2 ways of repairing -- plate, which is simply welded over the top of the rust, or a butt weld, where the rot is cut out and a patch welded in to fit the hole.

The first will generally get the car through an MOT, but condemns the car to death -- rust will simply spread beneath the patch and continue to spread. So, the second is infinitely preferable.

Any repair in the rear wheel arch will almost certainly be in a prescribed area (see the MOT stuff on line for details) so rivet and bond won't be acceptable unless the part was originally constructed that way (it certainly wasn't).

MOT men have seen it all -- they're not easily fooled, and the rules get tighter every year.

Still, it's a bit of welding, nothing special. Any decent local garage should be able to sort it.

Yes welding is by far better but if you have no access to a welder and dont want to pay anyone just saying that's what I would do . Most manufacturers ( vauxhall bmw ) are using bond and rivit to repair the vehicles as it is stronger then welds believe it or not I didn't but ive been on the bmw corse and seen it for my self .

Yes welding is by far better but if you have no access to a welder and dont want to pay anyone just saying that's what I would do . Most manufacturers ( vauxhall bmw ) are using bond and rivit to repair the vehicles as it is stronger then welds believe it or not I didn't but ive been on the bmw corse and seen it for my self .

It certainly can be strong -- after all, Lotus use bonded aluminium, GTM and Alfa carbon fibre (which is "just" bonded floppy stuff) and Noble seem to be bonding stainless and aluminium together. But as a repair technique it's just a no no.

This from http://www.motester.co.uk/ is apposite.

The garage that my mother has always taken her beloved Fiat Uno (now 20 years old) to has failed it yet again (about the 8th time in exactly the same places) for welding requirements. Although the car has only done 40 miles this year, the garage in question found three holes, one in each sill (about 4cm x 1cm each, halfway along each of the front doors) and a more severe hole (6cm x 4cm) under the pedals.

We repaired the sills using a chemical weld compound and strips of galvanised steel, but resorted to bolting large sheets of steel under the pedals ... effectively completely replacing the floor pan at that point.

When we took it back for a retest, the garage insist (as it's worth £120 to them) that the repairs must be welded, but I don't see why. The points are not structural and other parts of the car (like the wings) are bolted on. At what point does body filler become unnacceptable and a weld become necessary? Robin Rixon

It is an absolute requirement that any repairs required as a result of corrosion following a failed MOT must, with but a few exceptions be seam welded.

The actual requirements regarding whether or not excessive structural corrosion comprises a failure are quite complex, very specific and laid down by the authorities in the "Tester's Manual" – effectively the 'bible' of how MOT Tests MUST be conducted by the Testing garage.

So whether or not your vehicle should have failed in the first place is something I cannot comment on. I can, however, say with absolute certainty that if a structural repair is required, the way you have done it is totally unsatisfactory and would always result in a failure at re-Test. - MOTT

The manual is downloadeable from http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/

Good work with that burnt orange GT it looks mint! Good effort!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work with that burnt orange GT by the way it looks mint! Good effort!!!

Thanks mate and you will get there with a little time and patience the gt ive got went gold in the end its called giallo naxos yellow/gold looks awesome in the sun ive got fresh pics to put on ive not been on here for a bit .

Last edited by a moderator:
N33t gt

Attachments

• 1399666454447.jpg
    1399666454447.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 148
  • 1399666470788.jpg
    1399666470788.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 1399666486329.jpg
    1399666486329.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 1399666499030.jpg
    1399666499030.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 1399666511186.jpg
    1399666511186.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 1399666524525.jpg
    1399666524525.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 1399666538616.jpg
    1399666538616.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 1399666552899.jpg
    1399666552899.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 136
  • 1399666566736.jpg
    1399666566736.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 1399666579709.jpg
    1399666579709.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 1399666597858.jpg
    1399666597858.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 1399666620707.jpg
    1399666620707.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 158
Hi gents, I've decided my punto gt engine is beyond my ability to repair and restore, how much effort do you think it is to replace with a 16v turbo lump from a coupe?? Or do I just sell the car with a ruined engine??!!!!

This car looks fantastic. I'm not overly keen on the colour (more gold than orange) but good work nonetheless. Did you do any other repair work to the body or was it all concentrated to the rear quarters?

I have a few minor criticisms of the final car. But these are just my personal preferences as I'm hopefully going to be undertaking a similar restoration soon.

• Exhaust - sure it'll sound great but isn't the original design. It should be hidden behind the bumper.
  • Wheels - wrong colour - wrong car. This is a GT2 so the wheels should be silver. Even if it was a GT3 the wheels would be a shade of anthracite, not black.
  • Morettes - I love them, but not on this car as it's too standard.
  • Indicators - should be clear.

Like I said only minor. I would just keep it standard, like hiding the intercooler as well. Still looks great though. Probably the shiniest GT I've ever seen. Top work.

Not been on here for a while now thanks for the good comments on the car guys it's still going strong done a bit more to it maybe not to some people's taste but it's getting comments and people saying it's nice whenever I'm out in it ? so hard to keep clean with the weather we are having so forgive me if it's looking a bit riffy ?

Attachments

• 1418853819426.jpg
    1418853819426.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 712
  • 1418853833994.jpg
    1418853833994.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 137
  • 1418853847764.jpg
    1418853847764.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 1418853862973.jpg
    1418853862973.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 126
nice, gotta love a set of ronal turbo's... And they are so old that not everyone has a set like they once did (y) Only thing wrong with this car is that it is not mine lol. Drop me a line if you ever want to sell it ;) ;) lol

Thanks blu . keeping it with the 90s theme and it sits so nice on the wheels was afraid they was going to be to wide but fit perfectly and if I was ever going to put her up for sale it would definitely be on here god knows what I'd ask I know I'd never get back what I spent but it's the fun in doing a project and seeing the progress :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back