Project Cinq!

Currently reading:
Project Cinq!

Id take it somewhere else tbh, seems like he was looking for easy things yo get some work from you, if he does it again (which i doubt) i would mention his practices and also say that you will take it to vosa for a test, if they dont pick up on his issues then you will be reporting him, also note that you can use council depots for an MOT, and because they dont do repairs, the are impartial ;)

I'm with Stu on this one Mark take it somewhere that doesn't have thick Harry.

I've never heard of a car failing on those points you mentioned & I've helped put cars through MOT's, I think it's more a case of they saw you coming & went "Wright what can we fail this on then..."

Hope all goes well with a Re-test at a decent garage (if there is such a thing)

They took one look at the car, thought "boy racer" and did everything they could to make sure it failed IMO.

mot test should take about an hour, they spent 2 and a half on it, says it all.

Out of interest i asked that place about repairs and they laughed and said they wouldn't touch it, so it's not like they profited. Just hated the car tbh.

i'll be taking it in to my usual and 100% trustworthy place, only reason i took it where i did was to get it in quicker and cheaper. But my normal place know and like the cinq so will treat it properly, plus i'll hand them the fail sheet and see what they make of it.

until then though, gearbox off :( not all bad, spotted a few tiny issues so i'll be able to tidy them up at thr same time

I would still send the sheet to vosa and see what they make of it..

Hmmm, took gearbox off to find the horrible rattle that had developed since i got it back, sounded like a flywheel bolt rattling at 2.5-4k, no rattles at idle and it stops over 4k too, no sign of an issue...... Bit worried tbh, it's ran lovely until they redlined it repeatedly :( i could hear it 2 streets away!

really regretting going there tbh, now i have a problem i can't really trace and not sure if it's serious :(

Not a pulley at the other side or a cambelt tensioner or roller is it?

Nah, all that was checked first, sounded a lot more like flywheel area or cam or crank area.

Thing is, the thing was stone cold and they were bouncing it off the limiter for no ****ing reason, i reckon it's possibly spun a crank bearing :(

Been reading up, i don't think it's bottom end now, the noise is nowhere near consistent enough. Think i'll need to pull the cambox off, have a look in at the valve springs for any weird signs and maybe pop the cams out for a look too if it's still there when the gearbox is back on. Still gutted i even had to take it off for a look, tbh i really can't be arsed with it all now, i've counted how much i've spent and calculated roughly how many hours work put into it.... all for some complete **** to go and fail it on stuff like a diag plug rubbing an air filter and a fuel filter that doesn't even move being insecure etc etc, it never had a chance. Then to treat it like **** and hand it back broken?

Just lost all heart with it, didn't even want to look at it today but was briefly at it, inspected flywheel, checked all bolts were still torqued up, popped clutch back on, hit my elbow really hard off the brake caliper and just launched my tools into the toolbox and went home at that point. I'm at a point where i don't even know anymore when i come home what's dirt and what are bruises, fed up of being filthy, hurting all over and getting cooked in that ****ing way too small garage.

Noooooooo!!!!!! Please don't give up -I really want to see this back on the road again.

Yeah it's **** what the garage did :( (and you should be naming and shaming them on social media imo) but have some time out and hopefully the enthusiasm will come back again

I'm not sure what i'll do tbh, i definitely need the time away from it and to switch off from it for a bit to get over the disappointment.

I'll say one thing, on the pre-mot drive, was the first time i'd had it properly on the road and it wasn't quite how i expected it, because of the low down torque difference on the 16v engine it didn't really feel quick when pulling away like it used to, it felt kinda back to front. It felt like first gear you'd ran out of gear before you'd got anywhere near the engines power range...it felt a little flat like a grown up car. Then you put it into second and third and got the engine on song and it was quick....and i mean really, really ****ing quick....

i defo need away from it, went up for an hour today and took the loom out for better access, had a little wrestle with the gearbox but it's just too much on my own now with things in the way, got frustrated again and left it before i threw something through the windscreen haha

really stressed by it, for my own sanity i need away from it.

should add that i'm car-less because the bmw is broken too and out of mot and tax and i have nowhere to put it so it's all a bit ****ed right now, i really needed the garage for that too :( .

I really feel for you mate...give yourself a break, listen to some music have a beer and a cigar. Persevere, you will get there. Garage arseholes should have only held revs at 2k for a couple of minutes to achieve emissions test.

Problem with that was they'd left emissions til last... the cynical side of me says that was to also give it the worst chance of passing, it had sat for the best part of 3 hours. They decided to get the thing up to a readable temp as quick as they could so somebody just sat in it and red lined it cold :(

I swear to ****ing god that if i find damage i can attribute to that...........................

Back