General Panda 4x4 for scrap/parts

Currently reading:
General Panda 4x4 for scrap/parts

got a pair of TCA's if thats any help, if the wheels shot then tca would have bent?

Thanks to all of you for your comments, and to Alan and Tony in particular.

I am considering options and PMing about it, and will let you know once a decision on what to do is reached.

In the meantime I just want to say I am really impressed by the way this community responds to things like this - it's great to have found you guys, and I hope I'll be able to do something in exchange.

Andy

I've just had a proper look at the pictures. I've seen damage like this before and it's probably not as bad as it looks.

The two most likely worst scenarios, judging by the state of the wheel are:

1. The front tie bar has been pulled back and pulled the chassis mount back with it. However, the front mount has a large rubber bush which may have allowed the bar to move back without chassis/mount damage.

2. The inner lower suspension arm mount has twisted when the wheel has been forced back. Again, this is substantially bushed and may have allowed enough twist to prevent damage to the chassis.

If the chassis is ok then replacement of the suspension components is relatively easy and quick for someone who knows what they're doing. With the help and generosity of members of this forum I can't see that this is a major disaster. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

PM recieved & returned, I recon that the wheel has taken the brunt and the fact that the steering wheel turned the driveshaft wasn't directly hit so gearbox should be OK. I concur with Rick on the lower arm and tie bar but again as they didn't take the force directly may have been pulled out of shape. When we get a time as stated we'll come over replace the central piller with the bearing & bottom ball joint, lower arm & tie bar from the Selecta and will keep our fingers crossed the job will be done.

I'm getting attached to that little club ;)

oh! and that's another bleedin roof rack I've lost :( :D :D

Alan, as sure as the sun rises in the sky, there is a roof rack with your name on it out there!!!(y)

Come on Karmic Gods!!! smile upon our brother Alan!!!!!:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
And bless this good man with a roofrack for his mighty sisley!!!!!:worship:
Damien.

OK, i eventually managed to get to Andy's tonight a little later than I had intended but still good...

ok the news is good... it looks like the tracling control arm took the brunt of the blow... it buckled downwards which is about as lucky as you can get... other than not being hit by some arse's car in the first place... on the up side there's tons of grey plastic laying around... and there's no grey plastic on the panda (y)

here's the pics for appraisal... and a gratuitous roof rack shot for effect

Attachments

• damage1.jpg
    damage1.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 24
  • damage2.jpg
    damage2.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 20
  • damage3.jpg
    damage3.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 22
  • tierod_front.jpg
    tierod_front.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 20
  • iinterior.jpg
    iinterior.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 23
  • roofrack.jpg
    roofrack.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 20
Excellent News Tony......thanks for the update. I take it what looks like ripped metal infront of the shock pillar is plastic from the other car?

Andy take better care of that roofrack mate it's getting a bit rusty :) will be mine one of these days :p

Hi

I don't really know how to express this without swearing, but you will not believe what happened today.

THE CAR HAS BEEN STOLEN.

My girlfriend called me an hour ago to tell me that the car wasn't there anymore. The police knew about the car as I had reported the crash, and I have just called them and they said they had no reports of an abandoned car or anything like that, so the only conclusion I can draw is that some **** decided to tow it away. The signs are all there as two days ago the car had been moved from the position it was in, and I found it more or less in the middle of the road: somebody must have tried to tow it away but didn't manage first time round. I pushed it back toward the kerb (it's undriveable as the wheel is broken and the antitheft bar on the steering wheel can't be removed because it's bent). But they must have come today to do a better job of it, and now it's gone. I am still waiting for the police to investigate a bit and call me back, but the chance of it having being towed away legitimately are really slim, so I can only conclude that it's been stolen.

So I would like to do two things now:

1) give you the details so that if anybody comes across any parts or the actual car they can let me know.

Reg plate: TI 149423 (Swiss registration plate)
Chassis no: ZFA141A00 04945375
There are a number of stickers on the back of the car: one on the glass screen with slogans of the AUT (academic union), black and white; several ones on the back door, including the obvious CH sign for Swiss cars, and various others all of which in Italian.
Inside the car there are various objects including a portable radio and a pair of glasses in a case, and the driver's seat (on the left obviously as it's a LHD) is stuck on its rails.

2) the second thing I'd like to say, and believe me I have no intention to stir up any trouble in this lovely community, is that if there is anybody hwo had quite a lot of info about the car, its whereabouts, the plan to get it fixed tomorrow, and who has expressed an interest in it and its parts, it's people on this forum. So I would just like to say that if it's one of you (and I exclude people who have given me a hand so far obviously, but not those who have seen the car here or who have expressed interest in it), well may you rot in hell you ****ing bastard, you probably know how much this car means to me so it's really outrageous of you do to what you have done. I know it may well happen that I find the car has been removed legitimately and I may have to eat humble pie, but as the chances of this are pretty slim considering someone tried to move it two days ago, I'll say it anyway, because I am simply shattered by what happened.

Tony, Alan - obviously in this situation you might as well leave things as they are, no need to come tomorrow obviously (btw, Alan I did read your PM so didn't expect you here tomorrow anyway).

I'll let you know in case there are any developments, but for the time being let's just call it a day. If any of you come across any parts or bits or have any elements that may help me and the police trace the car and the ****er who did it please contact me privately, I assure complete confidentiality.

Andy :cry:

Sorry to hear the bad news :(

I had a Renualt 18 years ago that was stolen from my driveway. I had striped most of the parts as I was going to use the engine in a kit car, what was left must have been worth £20 max at a dodgy scappies for the steel. There's to many scum bags out there(n)

Try contacting your local council just in case they removed it because they thought it was abandoned, with the Swiss reg they won't know where to contact you. hope its found soon Damon

bloody hell!!
you have had an absolute miserable time:(
since the car has foreign plates and is lhd the council may have prayed on it, or ncp car parking wardens, or the dvla tax people or vosa the mot people.
or it could have just been plain stolen.

Was the windscreen and wheel fixed before it was taken?
I know 4x4 panda's are in great demand but I would highly doubt someone on here would take it, not anyone you or i know, but could have been a 'browser' e.g someone who just looked through the forum and took a liking to it(n)

If you knew it had been moved, and then been attempted to be towed when it was in the middle or the road, surely you should have done something!! like move it to a friends house, but a clamp on the road wheel, set up a video camera.

i don't know what to say... :(

:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: scum of the earth!

I truley hope it has been towed away by a semi legitimate scrap metal dealer... that the police can call to make sure they haven't recently towed an "abandoned" Swiss car...

Was the windscreen and wheel fixed before it was taken?
no... it was un drive-able to move it anywhere you would have needed a winch or hydraulic something... the repairs were set for tomorrow...

as for someone from the forum taking it, i can't see it happening at all... firstly only 3 people know where the car is... Alan, Jaff and myself and none of us a shifty in any way really... well, maybe Alan. Plus we already have a 4x4 panda to deal with, we really don't need another one.

Last edited:
Andy I share Tony's sentiments I think it was only the three of us that had the address, at one time Manchester was mentioned if anyone wanted to come over but would never list the address.

I'm absolutely f**king gutted, primarily for yourself but also for the fact that we held such a high regard for that little car becomming almost a family pet project.

I was so pi$$ed off that i couldn't make it tomorrow as the ankle has gone yet again and then to hear this. I now wished I had picked it up sooner on the dolly.

My guess would be either the council (but they generally inform the police to put the details on the police national computer for vehicle checks) or someone with a 4x4 kit car project, or a panda owner looking for bits none of which helps you.

Could I ask the admin to send out a message to all the forum members either PM or e-mail with the details of the car in the hope someone see's it and Knows it's been Stolen.

Meantime a post in leaisure lounge will circulate to a wider audience.

dear all

sorry, i was probably a bit too quick off the mark in making accusations to forum peeps, and i would like to apologise for that - a question of emotions taking over reason, i even had a row with my ladee after that.

thanks for your support. as i said, i did suspect the council may have taken it, but the police know when this happens apparently, so the chances of this being the case are low. i'll give the council a call on Mon if I get the time, although with Mcr city council i don't expect much, based on my experience (i.e. it may take me days just to get through...).

thanks for spreading the word in the meantime, let's see what happens

good nite to you all, and sorry again for making inappropriate allegations... i live in Mcr after all and one should expect things like this to happen, like, naturally (e.g. someone got into my hosue two weeks ago and stole my laptop... while i was in the house! it never rains, it pours...).

andy

Manchester is famous for it's rain...

i'm glad i don't live there anymore...

Back