Technical 1989 Panda 4x4 won't start.

Currently reading:
Technical 1989 Panda 4x4 won't start.

ROGUEPIX3L

Panda won't start.
Youtube vid link:
I'm assuming a lot of the electrical problems are coming from poor grounds but I've got no idea why it won't start. Starter does have power when I bridge the solenoid with a prybar but doesn't engage. I assume it supposed to do that as two other panda starters I have on hand also spin but don't engage when I bridge the contacts. The other day all the electronics but the starter worked too after I fiddled with the grounds which makes me think it's a separate problem.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks.

P.S. The other Panda got cushed by bits of a falling barn which is why I now have this one.

i suspect the ignition switch. a panda has 2 ignition lives. one deactivates while cranking powering the wipers and other things, one stays live while cranking powering the coil and fuel cut off solenoid.

you can see why i have my suspicions.. the first to die would be the crank position, the next would be one of the ignition lives.

pull your steering cowling off by undoing the 10mm bolt through the hole under the cowling which holds your column switches in, then drop the dash down by undoing one if the brackets that hold in the dash fabric support tube, then undo the screw holding the cowling in place. pull it all forward to gain access to the ignition switch.

follow this diagram i made to test if the ignition switch is the cause of the issue

full

i hope this sheds some light on the issue.

if you still have your old panda, try swapping ignition switches. they are quite easy to change once you have the cowling taken off.

hope this helps.

edit, if you look here on a video i made, you can see i have bypassed the ignition switch completely with just some wire. its only on screen for a second but you should be able to see how i did it. its at the 1:44 mark.

Last edited:
i suspect the ignition switch. a panda has 2 ignition lives. one deactivates while cranking powering the wipers and other things, one stays live while cranking powering the coil and fuel cut off solenoid.

you can see why i have my suspicions.. the first to die would be the crank position, the next would be one of the ignition lives.

pull your steering cowling off by undoing the 10mm bolt through the hole under the cowling which holds your column switches in, then drop the dash down by undoing one if the brackets that hold in the dash fabric support tube, then undo the screw holding the cowling in place. pull it all forward to gain access to the ignition switch.

follow this diagram i made to test if the ignition switch is the cause of the issue

full

if you still have your old panda, try swapping ignition switches. they are quite easy to change once you have the cowling taken off.

hope this helps.

edit, if you look here on a video i made, you can see i have bypassed the ignition switch completely with just some wire. its only on screen for a second but you should be able to see how i did it. its at the 1:44 mark.

Wow thanks that is really helpful, I will try this this evening.

full

hope this helps.

Trying it now and I have the starter and battery live contacts crossed but nothing is happening. Just the battery indicator on the dash. Actually just bridged 2 and 3 and the starter motor went! Also I can't work out how to change the ignition switch it looks like it's riveted to the column?

Last edited:
it may be held in with a tiny screw, oh you mean the whole lock barrel? nahh only the plastic thing the wires plug into is the switch, that for me can just be prised out of the metal it sits in. it may have a little screw holding it on but otherwise it kinda clips out.

try rocking it back and forth while pulling it

theres a little white wire going to a spade connector on your carburettor. if you have a multi meter continuity check that to one of the ignition live pins (3,6, and 7) one should be connected to that white wire. same for the white/blue wire on the coil (sometimes its an orange wire). that will be the ignition switch live to the coil.
the image may be mirrored.. the main battery live on pin 2 in a thick red wire, the starter motor is a thinner red wire if i remember right. to start a panda and bypass the switch you do have to bridge 2x of the ignition live pins. the other pin is for things like the wipers.
you can link pins 3,6, and 7 together however i have a feeling that the bit inside the ignition switch that kills the power to the wipers and other things while cranking is the only ignition live the switch is giving out so that means that if you do put it to the crank position, the ignition would be off still then come back on when you return to position 2.

i have actually redone my ignition switch wiring and routed all the the lives through relays so it helps keep the load off it.

Last edited:
Back