Technical Panda 4x4 headlight issue.

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 4x4 headlight issue.

Albert Alfvag

Hello fellow forum members.
Today I have run into a bit of a head scratcher (for me atleast). I started the car and drove for a bit before I noticed that my left headlight (left in the direction of travel) hadn't come on (low beam). So I stopped and popped the hood to see if maybe the connector had come loose. It hadn't.
But two other things had occured: First, as the low beam was off, one of my extra driving lights (lightforce 240 blitz) had come on, eventhough they should come on with the high beam. And two: The connector behind the headlight had melted. Specifically by the left pin (again, left from the drivers perspective). This melting had happened on the connectors behind both of the headlights.

What could be the cause of this? Bad ground somewhere? Bad connectors? Something else? I just don't know, so I turn to the wisdom of this place.

Cheers.
/Albert

Hello fellow forum members.
Today I have run into a bit of a head scratcher (for me atleast). I started the car and drove for a bit before I noticed that my left headlight (left in the direction of travel) hadn't come on (low beam). So I stopped and popped the hood to see if maybe the connector had come loose. It hadn't.
But two other things had occured: First, as the low beam was off, one of my extra driving lights (lightforce 240 blitz) had come on, eventhough they should come on with the high beam. And two: The connector behind the headlight had melted. Specifically by the left pin (again, left from the drivers perspective). This melting had happened on the connectors behind both of the headlights.

What could be the cause of this? Bad ground somewhere? Bad connectors? Something else? I just don't know, so I turn to the wisdom of this place.

Cheers.
/Albert
I would have said an earthing /grounding issue, possibly made worse by the powerful driving lights back feeding / using the low beam light earth as a return, especially as both headlight connectors melting .
So new connectors and heavier wiring including the the good earthing points, maybe extra relays to handle the load.
Perhaps an Auto electrician can advise.

I would have said an earthing /grounding issue, possibly made worse by the powerful driving lights back feeding / using the low beam light earth as a return, especially as both headlight connectors melting .
So new connectors and heavier wiring including the the good earthing points, maybe extra relays to handle the load.
Perhaps an Auto electrician can advise.
Yes, sounds like the load is too great so it’s melted and shorted the connections and/or ‘scavenged’ power (+or-). Extra lamps should always be put through relays, even if they’re ‘switched’ through other lights. LEDs, especially cheap ones, often need separate drivers and can get VERY hot, despite what folk say

Thanks for your input guys.
The extra lamps (halogens) are run through relays though, and the lights have been on the car since I bought it and started using it as a daily driver 8 years ago. That's why I was puzzled by this sudden issue.

Thanks for your input guys.
The extra lamps (halogens) are run through relays though, and the lights have been on the car since I bought it and started using it as a daily driver 8 years ago. That's why I was puzzled by this sudden issue.
Does the connector look like it’s melted between terminals or does it look like melted ‘in-situ’? It’s a bit difficult to diagnose remotely but, as bugsymike says, earths, shorts etc

Does the connector look like it’s melted between terminals or does it look like melted ‘in-situ’? It’s a bit difficult to diagnose remotely but, as bugsymike says, earths, shorts etc
It looks melted only around the specific pin mentioned, both on the left and right headlights.

Could there be a problem with the switches on the steering column? I have a squeaky stearingwheel so I thought maybe there's a connection. And also, I once had a problem (on my other panda) with the headlights not coming on at all, and that turned out to be a fawlty ignition switch so maybe there's a more remote problem than it seems.

It looks melted only around the specific pin mentioned, both on the left and right headlights.

Could there be a problem with the switches on the steering column? I have a squeaky stearingwheel so I thought maybe there's a connection. And also, I once had a problem (on my other panda) with the headlights not coming on at all, and that turned out to be a fawlty ignition switch so maybe there's a more remote problem than it seems.
I would replace the damaged parts first and make sure they are making a good firm electrical connection, also make sure all earthing points are good, so it is not putting any extra strain on the other connections.
It maybe something simple like the headlamp plug had got worn ,loose and rusty over time resulting in a poor connection which then generates heat and melts the plug. Electrical resistance creates heat.
It can happen with all sorts of connections even household, my washing machine stopped working and on checking I found the fault was the factory fitted sealed 13amp plug causing it, so I replaced the plug but also had to replace the wall socket that it went into.

I would replace the damaged parts first and make sure they are making a good firm electrical connection, also make sure all earthing points are good, so it is not putting any extra strain on the other connections.
It maybe something simple like the headlamp plug had got worn ,loose and rusty over time resulting in a poor connection which then generates heat and melts the plug. Electrical resistance creates heat.
It can happen with all sorts of connections even household, my washing machine stopped working and on checking I found the fault was the factory fitted sealed 13amp plug causing it, so I replaced the plug but also had to replace the wall socket that it went into.
Bit like our ‘whirlpool’ drier that decided to go into meltdown that took them five years to admit there was a fault and recalled them all
As for wiring, although there are many known faults with lots of vehicles, (and therefore, we can point you in direction of causes and fixes) it’s notoriously difficult to diagnose a fault, and knock on faults, remotely or by pictures…one of my 141 pandas had a short on the column switches but was caused by the headlamp switch, mostly these just stop working but this one decided to short the lot, so not every known fault presents the same. What you need is an AVO meter and a wiring diagram. Firstly check the obvious like earths, fuses relays and the units/parts that these feed; then check continuity for the feeds, +&-; best way to check for shorts in wiring is to ‘halve’ the wire, check its start and finish, then check halfway along its length, preferably at a connector, then you know roughly if it’s at switch end or unit/part end, then you can half it again…but you really do need wiring diagram and meter

I ended up changing the connectors and H4 bulbs, as well as disconnect and lightly clean the ground connections right behind the left headlight. So far it seems fine and the new connectors havn't melted as far as I can see. So hopefully it was just the 35 year old connectors giving up.
I appreciate your input.

Cheers,
Albert

Back