Technical panda 169 baggage- rear trunk questions

Currently reading:
Technical panda 169 baggage- rear trunk questions

Hello, my trunk gas shock absorber opens as in the video. It may not open, especially if I do not support it with my hand during the first run.

Is this situation normal? Should I change it?

Question 2; External seals on the boot side. They are worn out now. But it is not getting water, should I change it? Does it have a known size? Should I buy it privately?

Attachments

• IMG_20231015_221903 (1).jpg
    IMG_20231015_221903 (1).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 53
The boot struts appear to be capable of lifting and holding the tailgate, so they are not the problem. A bit of oil on the hinges would be a very good idea, as they appear to be tight. Without lubrication, they will get tighter. They could then break, or twist the shell of the car where they mount. When tight, the tailgate offers a lot of leverage, and can twist the body easily.

The boot seal should be available from a Fiat dealer, at enormous cost. In the UK we have various outlets that will supply standard sizes. You would need to measure the dimensions and see if any online supplier can match closely enough.

You seen to have trouble closing the boot. The striker (the little loop in the car that the latch holds onto) may need moving outwards a little. It should close and latch under its own weight, but not be loose to rattle.

I can't see the video, I get errors trying to view it. But from what PB has said, he's said they are not the problem. Though they may be weak if you're having to manually open the boot all the way, They have the power to hold it up, but maybe no reserve strength which could mean they are getting weak and near the end of there life.

It the boot seal is not letting water in, then I would put it on the to do list and sort it out later. you seem to be putting a lot of time and effort into this car given all your other posts so you might find the money is better spent else where and you can then budget for a new boot seal once other more important things are sorted out.

The opening is normal, there's virtually no lift untill the struts are well past the horizontal

Up to you on the seal, here in the UK it's a trivel task as you can buy a roll of the seal at most motor factors,

At the end of the video, the hatch should lock without slamming it

I have managed now to get the OPs video to play, at one point the struts push the boot up from being pulled down about half way without needing to be assisted so I would say the struts are ok. They may be a little weaker compared to some but its not going to drop the book on your head.

The Boot catch does seem misaligned as PB previously suggested probably needs moving outward a touch. If you're having that much trouble just getting it to catch then it may not be catching properly at all, and is at risk of coming open when driving.

The boot struts appear to be capable of lifting and holding the tailgate, so they are not the problem. A bit of oil on the hinges would be a very good idea, as they appear to be tight. Without lubrication, they will get tighter. They could then break, or twist the shell of the car where they mount. When tight, the tailgate offers a lot of leverage, and
I oiled the hinges and moving parts. I didn't feel any tightness. They move well. I think we can all agree that gas pistons are getting a little old.

It the boot seal is not letting water in, then I would put it on the to do list and sort it out later. you seem to be putting a lot of time and effort into this car given all your other posts so you might find the money is better spent else where and you can then budget for a new boot seal once other more important things are sorted out.
Just like you observed.

I waste too much time. In general, I aim to take good care of my motorcycles and cars and use them this way for many years.

Ultimately, if I consider selling the vehicle, the costs won't hurt me. But my efforts and thoughts are priceless.

I left the gasket issue to the end. :))

As for the trunk lock problem. Yes, I'm having a problem with this.

My problem is seen in the video as follows.

It works fine when I turn it on and off with the switch. It opens and closes nicely.

However, when I try to start it with the remote control, the lock latch gets stuck.

So the problem is in the motorized closing mechanism.

Back