Technical Panda 169 1.2 Radiator Fan

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 169 1.2 Radiator Fan

Shuggie

I've just bought a very tidy and fundamentally honest 2009 Panda 169 Dynamic with 1.2 8v motor and air conditioning. The air conditioning works fine, but in this weather with air con switched on, the radiator fan very quickly turns on at full power, accompanied by quite a bit of noise. I thought that the radiator fan has two speeds. Running Multi ECU Scan, I can tell the car to operate the radiator fan at low speed, and nothing happens; if I tell it to run the fan at high speed, it does just that.

I see that there is an inexpensive resistor module (Part No 71740060) fitted to the fan/motor and at first glance that might explain the lack of low speed fan operation, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has come across this issue before, and has any wisdom to share with me. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

The fan will come on more often with the aircon on

What's the temperature gauge saying

What's the coolant level

Both speeds are controlled by different relays

Yes, I know that the radiator fan will operate more often with aircon switched on - the condenser does need airflow to be cooled. Temperature gauge and coolant level are completely normal at all times.

Screenshot_20230702_160637.jpg

Slightly different fuse numbers and layout in my car, but the handbook has correct info (maybe should have looked there first!). I just took a look and both high and low fan fuses are fine. Not so straightforward to check the low fan relay for operation, except by replacing it, but I'll find a way.

Slightly different fuse numbers and layout in my car, but the handbook has correct info (maybe should have looked there first!). I just took a look and both high and low fan fuses are fine. Not so straightforward to check the low fan relay for operation, except by replacing it, but I'll find a way.
Swap two relays over and retry in multiECUscan

Swap them back over after you have finished

An update, and a resolution of the problem. The fault was the resistor module (Part No 71740060) - the old one looked absolutely fine, and its resistance seemed OK too, but the diode must have been knackered. An inexpensive new replacement has cured the issue, and I now have both radiator fan speeds operating normally.

An update, and a resolution of the problem. The fault was the resistor module (Part No 71740060) - the old one looked absolutely fine, and its resistance seemed OK too, but the diode must have been knackered. An inexpensive new replacement has cured the issue, and I now have both radiator fan speeds operating normally.
Hi,
I'm having the same issue as you - I think
Fan comes on full speed a couple of seconds after the engine is started.
MES worked on high, not low.
Replacing this little resistor pack worked for you?

Thanks, Dave

Hi,

Thanks, Dave
My issue was just with the aircon running (not helped by knackered a/c condenser), and low fan speed was not working, so the fan quickly ran at high speed. The replacement resistor solved that, and now the fan operates correctly at both speeds.

Obviously playing Parts Darts can be futile, but the resistor is cheap and easy to replace, so probably worth a go - apparently they are known to fail

Hi,

Thanks, Dave
Which car

The 1.1 without Aircon only has one speed, no resistor

Aircon off, engine just started, there should be no fan on

Back