General Our new Panda

Currently reading:
General Our new Panda

An MX5 is something I've considered in the past however i instantly remembered 1, i am a bloke and 2 i don't cut people's hair! (joke) The fact remains that the HP has twice the seating capacity and is way more practical, plus I've always had small cars and always loved them (even though being 6ft tall it can be a squeeze at times) I dunno, I've got a month or two before i make my final decision but it's top of the list at the moment. Besides you're supposed to be defending it as you've got one!

Know what you are saying, but you've got the MJ for the practical stuff when you need to ship people around. I had a 2 seater MR2 for 5 years (3 of them) I also had a brand new MX5 in 2004. I never struggled with the 2 seater issue.

I would defend it, but never as a 'weekend/fun' type car. Whilst the 100hp is fun to drive, there are other cars that are a lot more fun for the money if i'm honest. If I didn't have the Integra I wouldn't be happy just with the 100hp, not really. Especially so when there are so many other options open to you.

Anyways have a think about it. Why not test drive both?

X/19 was the best ever Fiat 2 seater. I can't even begin to describe the thrill of being a passenger in my mate's car in the early '80s.
Sadly, they've all rotted away and gone to sports car heaven.

Those X/19s are cool, but rot and a fairly low engine output was the problem. I had a few supercharged MK1 MR2s... now they were a lot of fun. Difficult but rewarding to drive quickly, great little cars.

RWD doesn't make a great car, from what I remember the barchetta was very well received. The FWD Elan was apparently a great sports car too. I'm not the authority on these things though.. ;)

FWD in a two seater 'sports' car. (n)

Have you still not realised this is a road car forum, not a racing car forum? All your posts seem to centre on these cars failings on track type driving. If you care to do some research into the comment you have just made you will find reviews of the Barchetta praise its exceptional balance and neutrality in cornering.

For you maybe, going sideways a lot of the time might be great. For the rest of the world it'd get us into trouble.

RWD doesn't make a great car, from what I remember the barchetta was very well received. The FWD Elan was apparently a great sports car too. I'm not the authority on these things though.. ;)

The barchetta may be good, but the obvious choice in the two seater sports car sector really has to be an MX5. There is a reason why they are so popular.

Yes and the FWD Elan is a great handling car. I suppose FWD two seaters are a rarity really as most would favour RWD in that type of car.

My Integra is FWD and getting that was a very big departure for me as I was something of a RWD stalwart, not even considering owning a FWD car, which does kind of narrow your choices somewhat(!). However the Teg has been a revelation, it really does handle and seems to oversteer more than my MR2 ever did which was a pleasant surprise. So I have come to the realisation that FWD need not necessarily mean lots of boring understeer.

The barchetta may be good, but the obvious choice in the two seater sports car sector really has to be an MX5. There is a reason why they are so popular.

Yes and the FWD Elan is a great handling car. I suppose FWD two seaters are a rarity really as most would favour RWD in that type of car.

My Integra is FWD and getting that was a very big departure for me as I was something of a RWD stalwart, not even considering owning a FWD car, which does kind of narrow your choices somewhat(!). However the Teg has been a revelation, it really does handle and seems to oversteer more than my MR2 ever did which was a pleasant surprise. So I have come to the realisation that FWD need not necessarily mean lots of boring understeer.

I'm not sure that most people buy the MX5 because it is RWD, I can imagine a large number of owners have no idea what that means. If Mazda made the MX5 FWD, I think it would still be the most succesful roadster around. I would guess that a small percentage of MX5 owners are 'enthusiasts', and that the car being RWD is important to them. It is basically a well packaged and proportioned, reliable sports car that captures the old days perfectly.

Well done on realising that some FWD cars handle by the way, too many people have already made their minds up on that one.. (n)

Have you driven a Barchetta?

Re: Our new Panda (and lots of other stuff?)

Are we straying a little from the subject here folks?

The OP tells us they have a new 1.2 Panda Eco, that they're very pleased with it in general, better than expected even, although maybe not the car of choice for a long journey -- which is OK as its really a 'city' car by definition.

So why is this thread now debating front- versus rear-wheel drive, Barchettas, MX5s and even Lotus Elans... to drift or not to drift... the pros and cons of speed bumps...

Just thought I'd ask ;)

Last edited:
Re: Our new Panda (and lots of other stuff?)

I thought it was quite an interesting discussion..

Back