General Our new Panda

Currently reading:
General Our new Panda

the fiancee picked up her new Panda 1.2 Dynamic Eco yesterday, as she ran it in at speeds up to 70 mph I was having trouble keeping up with her on the journey home. I was allowed a drive in the afternoon and loved it. Controls really handy, it's really nippy now, and it gets better when it's run in? Computer shows 53mpg - fantastic. It's better over bumps than my C4, reasonably quiet, mostly wind noise. Doors all shut with a lovely clunk. Bit iffy round bends but it does have very skinny tyres. For the money £5300 I think it's an amazing car and great value.

But I do have some questions and it's not that easy getting hold of the salesman, he was doing 7 handovers yesterday and I gather Panda sales are booming, he's very busy.

The handbook mentions a Code Card, we don't have this and someone at the dealers said they have given up issueing them. If you bought a Panda recently did you get a Code Card? The only point seems to be having a number to use if the security system packs up, but having read how you use the number, counting flashing lights, pressing the accelerator pedal lots of times and doing this over and over, frankly, I think it would be call the AA and relay back to the dealer.

The handbook also seems to imply it should have a section explaining the radio controls but no, did you get a separate radio book? I've pretty much worked it all out as it's not dissimilar to the menus in my car so not really necessary, but, while, we don't have an ipod but where would you plug it in if you did? I can't say I've seen any suitable holes where you might plug a lead in. Can someone tell me where please.

But this really is a great small car, don't understand why I never see any on the roads, they seem to be rare as hens teeth.

Last edited:
In the UK the code card is not issued to the owner as a result of an agreement with the insurance industry. Don't ask me why as I don't know any more than this.
The Pandas often have a separate booklet covering the radio/CD so ask the dealer if you don't have one.
I don't think you will find anywhere to plug in your ipod. Look at other threads on this forum for solutions to this matter.
Enjoy the Panda. The narrow ECO tyres will probably grip a bit better when they've worn a bit.

Did you get the obvious extras ? (boot light and locking fuel cap)

Your fuel economy will improve as it beds in, I've had 60mpg out of my 2005 1.2 (indicated 64 pmg) :D :D

Trev

thanks for the confirmation about the code card, not greatly bothered about the radio book, haven't looked at the one for my car since new and I've worked out all the settings on the Panda. Neither of us own an ipod and being TOGS we only listen to The Archers on Radio 4,Terry and Bunty Bagshaw on Radio 2.

No extras, seemed such a bargain I didn't ask. I did see the internal invoice yesterday which showed I think it was a £26 loss on the price to us but as they told us the profit comes on the bonus for hitting a target. Salesman told me they'd sold 31 cars this month, 28 of which were Pandas. Maybe lots of people watched Qeuntin Wilson last week extolling the virtues of small cars.

I bought the Panda solely on price without a test drive though I did read this forum and every road test I could find so I knew it would be fine for the intended purpose. I'm just surprised at how good it is, on holidays I've driven the small car offerings from Hyundai, Peugot, Kia and others with strange badges on the bonnet and first impressions of the Panda are bar round the bends it's better than any of them.

Last comment, the City button seems pointless as the steering is very light at low speed anyway, can't imagine anyone needing it.

the City button seems pointless as the steering is very light at low speed anyway, can't imagine anyone needing it.

I feel sorry for it in my Panda, it's ignored as being a complete waste of space !

Contact Chris@Souls for a deal on locking Petrol Cap and boot light.

Have fun with the bamboo muncher, you will love the sub £30 fill ups :worship:(y)

Trev

In the UK the code card is not issued to the owner as a result of an agreement with the insurance industry. Don't ask me why as I don't know any more than this.

that makes perfect sense. The handbook tells you to always carry the code with you, so for most of us that would mean leave it in the car, probably in the handbook which tells you how to bypass the ignition immobilser using the code.

Congrats on your purchase - it no flying machine, but is pokey enough up to around 45-50mph. I'm impressed with the mpg figure though - running in and taking things gently you may be but i can barely see 50mpg from the girlfriends 1.2 dynamic unless i drop it below 70mph (a decent A road/dual carriageway commute at 75mph returns about 48mpg).

Neither of us own an ipod and being TOGS we only listen to The Archers on Radio 4,Terry and Bunty Bagshaw on Radio 2.

Wake up to Wogan is dangerous when driving - i'm laughing so hard at times it's a wonder i havn't crashed.

No extras, seemed such a bargain I didn't ask. I did see the internal invoice yesterday which showed I think it was a £26 loss on the price to us but as they told us the profit comes on the bonus for hitting a target. Salesman told me they'd sold 31 cars this month, 28 of which were Pandas. Maybe lots of people watched Qeuntin Wilson last week extolling the virtues of small cars.

That program on on ITV last week did Fiat quite abit of good. They gave one guy a 500 to use instead of his old Rover, showed another girl how cheap you could get a Punto for, and went to Lythgoe in Bolton, who have Fiat as one of the franchises, who mentioned Pandas being popular at the moment. We like alot!

I bought the Panda solely on price without a test drive though I did read this forum and every road test I could find so I knew it would be fine for the intended purpose. I'm just surprised at how good it is, on holidays I've driven the small car offerings from Hyundai, Peugot, Kia and others with strange badges on the bonnet and first impressions of the Panda are bar round the bends it's better than any of them.

Last comment, the City button seems pointless as the steering is very light at low speed anyway, can't imagine anyone needing it.

Ive not experienced it in a Panda, but for parking in my Mk2 Punto & Stilo, the girlie button is priceless. Just turn it off once youv'e finished parking as it does feel weird at speed even though it's supposedly innactive above a certain speed.

Comments in bold italics.

well a call to the dealer about the missing radio manual and one arrived in the post a couple of days later so all present and complete now. As the fiancee drives about 5 miles a day which can't be any good for it we popped down to the parents in Gloucestershire to help run it in, a round trip of about 230 miles. Honest opinion is that over 50 on roads with chippings I found it rather noisy and tiring, if it were my car and used for longer journeys I'd certainly fit some extra sound proofing (30+ years ago I fitted some to a mini and it made a huge difference). On hot rolled asphalt surfaces like my local M25 it was fine. Road noise seems to be predominant while the engine is very quiet and sounds very sweet when revved. The gps shows 30 on the clock is about 28 or 29, 70 is really about 66/67. Whatever Jeremy Clarksons thoughts I found it bowled along very merrily at a true 70, had no trouble on the M40 going up the hills or pulling out to overtake slower traffic. Mpg based on filling the tank is about 48. Road roar aside it's a great little car and lots of fun to drive.

Hi, I have had a 1.2 Eleganza for nearly three weeks now (replaced a Panda MJ with it). I found the tyre noise more noticeable on the petrol car (although it is mechanically MUCH quieter than the MJ) but yesterday checked the tyre pressures and (this didn't surprise me) they were all at 2.3 bar. They should be 2.0 bar front and 1.8 bar rear with a medium load. Having adjusted them, I have found a small but certainly significant improvement in road noise and ride comfort. My impressions of the car are just as yours...certainly nippy and the engine is uncannily smooth. I am revving it no further than 5000rpm at the moment but it makes a fantastic noise as the revs rise. I cannot really say that in the real world, it is appreciably slower at all than my MJ was. I'm very happy with my Eleganza. I will post a more in-depth comparsion between MJ and petrol soon. Glad you are impressed too.

thanks Steve, I'll check out the tyre pressures though I've no complaints about the ride at all, much better than my C4 which is a roller skate. Yes, that engine is just lovely as it winds up.

thanks Steve, I'll check out the tyre pressures though I've no complaints about the ride at all, much better than my C4 which is a roller skate. Yes, that engine is just lovely as it winds up.
I'm quite surprised the Panda has a better ride than the C4. I thought Citroen were made famous by their soft spongy clever suspension? I always though the Panda's ride was quite firm (wait till i get the 100HP!)

Is it really that bad? Don't put me off buying one, I've been looking forward for ages to getting one! Is it hard to live with or all part of the fun?

You need to drive one and see what you think.

I bought mine as a mile muncher and have no complaints about the ride, aside from driving over speedbumps which need to be taken fairly slowly. Of course, you might not agree ;)

Chris

Is it really that bad? Don't put me off buying one, I've been looking forward for ages to getting one! Is it hard to live with or all part of the fun?

It is pretty stiff. I drive all around Manchester all day for work, mostly on crappy residential roads that seem to be full of speedhumps.

You do learn to miss potholes, but I don't have a problem living with the ride quality (or lack of it). I'm used to cars with modified suspension and if anything that is what the panda feels like to an extent. I have just learnt to go slowly over speedhumps, but I do if i can try and avoid roads with speedhumps as it is a bit frustrating at times.

The ride in the MJ is very soft in comparison. But the advantage is much better roll control and it does get better the faster you go.

So in summary:

It is stiff (too stiff on the rear really).
You can live with it, depends upon what you are used to.
There are rewards for the stiff suspension when pressing on.
I guess like anything its a compromise.

You need to drive one and see what you think.

I bought mine as a mile muncher and have no complaints about the ride, aside from driving over speedbumps which need to be taken fairly slowly. Of course, you might not agree ;)

Chris
Actually i was just considering buying one without even driving one (no seriously) I did it with the MJ and it paid off, I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth the gamble this time! Last time i got the Train down to Wilts to get the best deal, i hadn't even seen a picture of the car! My first car was a Perodua Nippa and i could live with that, there's no way the ride can be as bad as that!

So in summary:

It is stiff (too stiff on the rear really).
You can live with it, depends upon what you are used to.
There are rewards for the stiff suspension when pressing on.
I guess like anything its a compromise.

There are a lot of nice roads round here, i just want to make the most of them without buying a car that costs the earth to run (and risks your license) I'll keep the MJ for longer runs seeming as the nearest cinema is 50 miles away, as is a bowling alley decent shops etc, but have the HP for fun at the weekend. That's the theory anyway, maybe i should test one first...

Back