General First car for a new driver

Currently reading:
General First car for a new driver

Look what I picked up for a new driver here in Ireland, he's delighted with it and there was nothing half as good available at twice the price. It was 1200 euro from a fiat garage.

Attachments

• 20240117_122422.jpg
    20240117_122422.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 153
I like red cars too. My old Cortina 1500 GT was Dragoon Red and I loved her. My existing Ibiza ST is also Emocion red. Only thing with red is it tends to fade/oxidize so give it a good cote of polish at least once a year if appearance is important. Becky, our 196 model Panda dynamic eco is white but I like white too especially where there's black plastic bits like bumper inserts and wing mirrors etc as it contrasts well with the black plastic. Shortly taking delivery of Skoda Scala to replace the Ibiza, it's in Energy blue, never had a blue car before although the DAF 33 Van I ran about in many years ago was blue.

Great find in today's market! Hope the driver enjoys it.
Treat the rear axle spring pans, oil sump pan and coolant return pipe across the front of the engine for rust, and make sure the 'duckbill' scuttle drains below the wiper are kept clear or rainwater can flood into the cabin.

Thanks for your reply. This lad is a real beginner. The kind of person a garage would love cos you could rip him off easily. Only had a quick look before buying but the rear beam does look like it could do with some love before it goes from surface rust to worse. The sump is self lubricating 🙄 at the moment. So I'll see what is going on there when I get my hands on it. Obviously with car price and insurance and tax and fuel he is abit skint for now. Will try and get him to do the work himself with my help and tools. If he gets the "can do" attitude from the start he will hopefully be more mechanically sympathetic. The clutch is fairly hard to push down with your foot, not sure if that is a future problem or they're all like that. My cinquecento has a new clutch and it's soo easy to press. I did mine myself and bought a new cable incase needed but not required yet, you know how it goes, if you have it you'll never need it 😒
In Ireland you have to have a full license driver with you when learning buy I see him out on his own sometimes, I mean I did that myself 35 years ago but less chance of getting nicked then. He has his test booked but waiting list is 6 months.

The Panda in the UK are normally hydraulic

The normally only go stiff when they wear down

Keep an eye on it for a bit, the car may have sat for awhile before being sold

If it does not improve, it will probably need replacing. Not easy to test for

Last one I did was over a year ago. The clutch kit was cheap just over £40 but the gear oil adds another £20

I did fitted new input shaft bearing, you could waggle the end of the shaft a mm or so along with the 3 rubber seals

You are lucky. Here in Ireland 3 litres of gearbox oil cost me 66 euro and then most of it leaked out as I think i broke the driveshaft flange installing. Was fun looking for a new flange 😪 so had to buy second hand from Spain via Lithuanian website.... thanks for the info, won't spoil the lads fun yet as he is starting out so in a few weeks I'll get him to show me the car again.

Back