General Our new Panda

Currently reading:
General Our new Panda

Actually i was just considering buying one without even driving one (no seriously) I did it with the MJ and it paid off

Well it's your money, but I'd never buy a car without driving it as I can't afford to lose a couple of grand if I didn't like it. Funnily enough, I was trying to test drive a Micra 160SR when I was looking at the Panda and the salesman seemed to think it was unusual to want to drive a car before parting with £8k, but that if I committed to buy, he'd happily get one in for me to drive :confused:

Chris

Draig, in my time I've driven on many Welsh roads and I believe that the 100HP would be ideal on these surfaces.
These roads are usually well-surfaced but with crazy bends which this litle car is well-suited to.
I think that the 6 speed box will be a bit of a pain as you will be forever changing gear.

There are a lot of nice roads round here, i just want to make the most of them without buying a car that costs the earth to run (and risks your license) I'll keep the MJ for longer runs seeming as the nearest cinema is 50 miles away, as is a bowling alley decent shops etc, but have the HP for fun at the weekend. That's the theory anyway, maybe i should test one first...

You should definately test drive one first. Like Chris says it's your money, but honestly I think you are bonkers not to test drive a car before parting with at least seven grand!

Just as an aside, why if you are keeping the MJ are you going to get a 100hp? I could completely understand if you were chopping in the MJ, but given that you have 7K to spend on a fun weekend car, why not get something that's really fun?

For less than that you could have a decent M3 or a DC2 or an MX5 etcetera. An M3 or DC2 would set your hair on fire far more than a 100hp could ever hope to. All really good fun cars that will be much more fun orientated than a 100hp. I know you would obviously be buying secondhand if you went for any of the above, but given it's a weekend car it's far less of an issue.

My 100hp is my weekday car that I do most of my general mileage in, but I have the DC2 for when I want to have fun and the difference between the two is striking.

It's firm certainly, but not in an uncomfortable way. UK roads are becoming so neglected that you need to avoid potholes whatever you drive. Got relatives in Holland and the roads there are billiard table smooth. Even the roads on some tiny Greek islands are better, but that's the way it will stay from now on I suppose.

Just as an aside, why if you are keeping the MJ are you going to get a 100hp? I could completely understand if you were chopping in the MJ, but given that you have 7K to spend on a fun weekend car, why not get something that's really fun?
A few reasons:

1. £7k for a new car is cheap, never mind a car that has all the toys and go of the HP.
2. It has over £3000 at the minute so if i am getting one, nows a good time i guess.
3. Insurance on the HP (quote) about £300 to £400 which is cheap considering I'm 21 and had a write off two years ago.
4. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to a cars condition, I'll not buy a car if it hasn't even been washed properly!
5. Running costs like tax and fuel are fairly cheap for the Panda in comparison to bigger sportier cars

There's probably a few more reasons but that'll do for now!

No buy an M3....£7K will get a 10 year old one and it won't have been thrashed at all....:rolleyes:

Oh and they're cheap to run, cheap to insure (especially for a 21 yr old) and ever so cheap on parts....

I do wish people would actually read a thread....

;)

Draig, in my time I've driven on many Welsh roads and I believe that the 100HP would be ideal on these surfaces.
These roads are usually well-surfaced but with crazy bends which this litle car is well-suited to.
I think that the 6 speed box will be a bit of a pain as you will be forever changing gear.
I nearly missed your post! I agree, my friend has a Golf TDI 6 speed, but the solution is to just stay in 5th (or 4th) 6th for cruising or when i have my economy head on! I think the HP would be a right blast on our roads.

A few reasons:

1. £7k for a new car is cheap, never mind a car that has all the toys and go of the HP.
2. It has over £3000 at the minute so if i am getting one, nows a good time i guess.
3. Insurance on the HP (quote) about £300 to £400 which is cheap considering I'm 21 and had a write off two years ago.
4. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to a cars condition, I'll not buy a car if it hasn't even been washed properly!
5. Running costs like tax and fuel are fairly cheap for the Panda in comparison to bigger sportier cars

There's probably a few more reasons but that'll do for now!

Hmm.
1. Yes it's cheap but you could have something else that's more fun. You could even have a classic car.
2. Yes good prices at the mo'.
3. Considering your mileage is low you could have a second car on a limited mileage policy or even a classic which ought to be cheap to insure.
4. There are plenty of cars for that kind of money in great condition that have been looked after. Rarer/enthusiast type cars tend to be molycoddled a fair bit. It's simply a matter of finding a good one.
5. Running costs ought not to be a major factor given that your mileage is going to be low anyway. Our Integra only does 3-4 less mpg than the 100hp and has twice the power just as an example.

Obviously it's your decision but I was just throwing in another few options.

Last edited:
The following is just something that bothers me, and having read it again in this thread, I felt the need to comment! It is not aimed at anyone in particular!

A speedhump is designed to be driven over slowly, but people often mention a cars inability to clear them quickly as though it is some sort of fault..

If you have any mechanical sympathy, you wouldn't have to learn to slow down for speedhumps, it would come naturally and the obstacle would have done its job.

I wouldn't ever consider speedhumps when talking about the quality and feel of a cars suspension, it just isn't of any relevance. Commenting that a car can't go over speedhumps quickly says more to me about the driver than it does about the car!

Last edited:
Commenting that a car can't go over speedhumps quickly says more to me about the driver than it does about the car!

I like to think I drive with a fair degree of mechanical sympathy and make no mention of driving over speed bumps "quickly" or needing to learn to slow down. Previous cars could comfortably drive over speed humps at 15-20mph (at least 10-15 mph less than the posted limit) without any discomfort to the passengers. The Panda is uncomfortable at anything above 5mph which tends to upset following drivers and is pretty jarring on some of the smaller speed strips even going that slowly.

Chris

I agree with Chris. If a speed limit is 30mph why should you have to slow to 5-10mph to go over a speedhump? It's a total PITA.

Actually thinking about it, you could get a really nice, clean MK2 MX5 1.8 for well within your budget. Great handling, great fun, roof down along the welsh roads will be great. Cheap to run, reliable, insurance shouldn't be a problem and the chance of some good drives out with some of the owners club lot.

There are a couple of reasons to slow down, one being comfort, the other avoiding accelerated suspension wear/stress. If you mean 'why should speedhumps be there in the first place', that's a whole new debate. I think they are warranted in some places, but yes pointless in others, although I can honestly say that I've never been massively inconvenienced by having to slow down a few times for them.

I wouldn't worry about upsetting following drivers by the way ScoobyChris, I can't imagine their mood is that important to your task of driving..

How fast previous cars could clear speedhumps is a nonsense argument to be honest, I would imagine that a Range Rover could get across them at considerable speed without any discomfort, but then it is an entirely different sort of vehicle isn't it? Given the set-up of the 100hp, is it any surprise that it doesn't float over speedhumps as though they were pillows? As such, unless your entire daily commute is made up of speedhumps (and if it is, you bought the wrong car), they really shouldn't be a concern when talking about a cars ride.

I came from a VX220 to the 100hp, and can say in all honesty that it is not a hard riding car, it's just not by any means a limousine either.

How fast previous cars could clear speedhumps is a nonsense argument to be honest, I would imagine that a Range Rover could get across them at considerable speed without any discomfort, but then it is an entirely different sort of vehicle isn't it?

So some vehicles can take speed bumps comfortably faster than others? So what you're actually saying is that it's nothing to do with the driver and all to do with the car? :rolleyes:

Chris

So some vehicles can take speed bumps comfortably faster than others? So what you're actually saying is that it's nothing to do with the driver and all to do with the car? :rolleyes:

Chris

Can you quote where I've said it's nothing to do with the driver and all to do with the car? :rolleyes:

If a driver wants to go over speedhumps quickly, they are missing the point of them being there.

I don't recall saying at any point that you should drive over a speedhump as fast as comfortably possible without exceeping the speed limit, I was just explaining that not all cars will have the same characteristics when driving over them, keep up. That you seem to believe that your 100hp should be able to take a speedhump at similar speeds to previous cars suggests that either you don't really understand suspension systems, or as I suspect - you're being a silly boy. ;)

If a car can drive over a speed hump at 30mph without even noticing it, should the driver do it?

Actually thinking about it, you could get a really nice, clean MK2 MX5 1.8 for well within your budget. Great handling, great fun, roof down along the welsh roads will be great. Cheap to run, reliable, insurance shouldn't be a problem and the chance of some good drives out with some of the owners club lot.
An MX5 is something I've considered in the past however i instantly remembered 1, i am a bloke and 2 i don't cut people's hair! (joke) The fact remains that the HP has twice the seating capacity and is way more practical, plus I've always had small cars and always loved them (even though being 6ft tall it can be a squeeze at times) I dunno, I've got a month or two before i make my final decision but it's top of the list at the moment. Besides you're supposed to be defending it as you've got one!

X/19 was the best ever Fiat 2 seater. I can't even begin to describe the thrill of being a passenger in my mate's car in the early '80s.
Sadly, they've all rotted away and gone to sports car heaven.

Back