Old people should be banned

Currently reading:
Old people should be banned

Hmmm, as a definite "old fart" with a clean licence [not caught so far - thanks Road Angel] after 48 years of driving - and having just purchased my first (1.9 JTD) Fiat Stilo 5 door (after several 2.5 - 3 litre petrol automatics) I'm wondering where to get the acceleration from to pass most of the cars I used to drive :( - never mind the 62 year old close by with his new Triumph Bonneville (y) - had one of those from 1960 to 1963. We [well I] don't do it to upset the younger generation, sorry for your 3 points, but hey, you can get 6 more without too much worry.

Milamber said:
and having just purchased my first (1.9 JTD) Fiat Stilo 5 door (after several 2.5 - 3 litre petrol automatics) I'm wondering where to get the acceleration from to pass most of the cars I used to drive :( -
Nice choice of motor :)

If you want more power, go for an engine remap - the JTD can easily be tuned to 155bhp, with oodles more torque :slayer:

the ones that speed up as you overtake are the most dangerous, not because they are speeding up, its because they seem to have forgotten they are driving a car, and the accelerator needs to be pressed, they just get up to speed, go to sleep, people overtake, and they accel off again, forgetting there is some poor sod on the outside of them

the other ones are people that DON'T turn the wheel when going round roundabouts and smack into the side of you, then blame you for being there (your only allowed to go two abreast when there is a proper white line).
and also at junctions when people go into them, not nessacerily quickly, just lazily and don't turn the wheel much, cut off a corner, and the poor sod that was just pulling upto the junction gets their front end wiped out:mad:

i use a main road, the A6, to get to work and its renouned for being a death trap due to the ammountof tourists we get up here cos of matlock and matlock bath. remember being in the UT and once joining a que of 9 cars behind this camper van doin 35mph in a 50mph and no one would over take. got pissed off after 5 mins so i gambled and over took em all in one go lol. must say i was goin alot fast than 35 by the time i was passing the camper :D

Dunc

done that before, quite a lot on the A74/5 going from carlisle out to stranraer, they are super hot up there (police not the birds:rolleyes: ), and have merc C and E class wagons, and BMW5's and x5's and jags and T5 V70 etc etc, you can't really get away from them(n)

anyway point of comment, overtaking a lot of cars, well over into other lane (some really wide bits you can get 4cars accross at a squeeze), and then the prick at the front of the que FINALLY realisles its clear infront, and just pulls out, I had to actually yank accross even further and drive the other side of a car coming the other WAY!!!!!!, I was doing abou 80, in the punto (which ppl can vouch is hairy in them things), diagram

E = car going my way
V = car going other way
I = white line

EE I VE

and the last E on the right was me:mad:

I caught that prick up and nearly smashed his lights out, when I got to him, i realised they were already pretty much out, he was about 90, and needed someone to help him open car door:eek:

do you know what he said,
"I didn't see you", " and anyways, it was my turn to overtake"

I mean WTF, where in the highway code does it state that overtaking is a turnbased manovaur??

So beware old duffers that can't even see

faster4_tec said:
the ones that speed up as you overtake are the most dangerous, not because they are speeding up, its because they seem to have forgotten they are driving a car, and the accelerator needs to be pressed, they just get up to speed, go to sleep, people overtake, and they accel off again, forgetting there is some poor sod on the outside of them

I get this often as loads of small villages here (strictly 30mph) & theres always some :tosser: right up your arse all the way through the village.When leaving the village **** behind pulls out to overtake...well i'm sorry but upon leaving the 30mph zone I speed up & if **** behind gets annoyed get angry cause he cant get pass me tough sh*t,I aint doing nothing wrong.

Another point...and be honest here...who can honestly hold there hand up & say they have never at any time speed up when someone is overtaking them....very few if any I suspect!!!

I don't. if the police catch you doin that it's called RACING.

I've never done it at all. don't actually have a car worthy of it anyway. :eek:

I sped up when a fully laden Suzuki Carry 1.3 tried to pass me just before A de-restriction. This was when I was learning and went out with my grandad, who told me not to let him pass :eek: served him right though. No way should one of those boxes be allowed to pass me :D.

Sometimes when I am driving in restricted zones, with some gimp up my tail, I tend to do the following when I see the Nationals ahead [and if I know the roads]

- turn off aircon, turn off ASR if dry, and blip it down to 2nd, but still keeping it at 30 - the very second I cross that boundary between 30 and Nationals, I just boot it; usually works :p

Seraph said:
I don't. if the police catch you doin that it's called RACING.

I've never done it at all. don't actually have a car worthy of it anyway. :eek:

No your missing the point of what I am saying....example your doing 60 on a motorway & a old rear engined skoda towing a caravan pulls into middle lane to overtake....& you wouldn't think 'f*ck that no way is that old heap getting past me':rolleyes:
Its not called racing!

Stuart DemonD said:
Sometimes when I am driving in restricted zones, with some gimp up my tail, I tend to do the following when I see the Nationals ahead [and if I know the roads]

- turn off aircon, turn off ASR if dry, and blip it down to 2nd, but still keeping it at 30 - the very second I cross that boundary between 30 and Nationals, I just boot it; usually works :p

That sounds similar to what I do, but I never have air con on :p, I put it down to 2nd, chuck the boost up to 9psi and I'm gone :D

T14086 said:
No your missing the point of what I am saying....example your doing 60 on a motorway & a old rear engined skoda towing a caravan pulls into middle lane to overtake....& you wouldn't think 'f*ck that no way is that old heap getting past me':rolleyes:
Its not called racing!

Well you must think I'm really weird, as that's not the sort of thing I'd do. If someone wants to go faster than me I just think fair play, why should I hold them up. It's called efficeiency, and everyones happy, instead of making other peoples lives more difficult.... except of course if they're driving like a tit hanging off my rear bumper!

Also I don't think old people should be banned. Did anyone see Jackie Stewart of Top Gear? What a guy.

The Trooper said:
Well you must think I'm really weird, as that's not the sort of thing I'd do. If someone wants to go faster than me I just think fair play, why should I hold them up. except of course if they're driving like a tit hanging off my rear bumper!

No not at all...but your answered my question I posted bit earlier (about someone being right behind you)...so we are all guilty of it or at least being 'awkward'.Not saying its a good/bad thing but theres not denying we all snigger to ourselves when we wont let that **** in the BMW/JAG etc from cutting into our lane during slow moving traffic...some people deserve it.......like those ones who (despite seeing the lane ahead closed sign) drive as far as they can before the lane is physically closed & try to push their way in despite the half mile of patiently waiting people in the other lane.....arghhhh I'm getting angry now:mad:

Back