Fireworks. Should we limit who can have them?

Currently reading:
Fireworks. Should we limit who can have them?

As a young lad I really enjoyed bonfire night and the fireworks that went with them. We lived out in the countryside with our nearest neighbour being the farm on the other side of a very big field - doubt if a firework would have the range to cross the field. We would build a big bonfire in our "top field" , considerably taller than me, from all the tree and bush trimmings and stuff like the pallets which stuff for the horses etc were delivered on. Dad would buy a big pack of rockets, catherine wheels, etc and, best of all "bangers"! which he would separate into boxes depending on type - ie. rockets in one box, catherine wheels in another, fountains in another, etc, He was very organised. Only once did we have an accident when a small rocket didn't ignite properly and shot off sideways into the box with the fountains and they all ignited at once. No-one was hurt. My mother, very much a "country girl" who loved her animals (we had dogs, horses, orphan sheep from next door, and other "poor souls") always hated the effect the fireworks had on the animals.

When I left home Fireworks took a back seat until I married and had children when I thought it would be a good idea to have them for the children. That didn't go well as I discovered my wife was actually very frightened by the loud bangs, which surprised me as she's otherwise no "shrinking violet". Subsequently we went to a couple of public displays which were visually very good with much bigger and more impressive fireworks but the whole experience was much less enjoyable than being at home with your own bonfire and marshmallows etc. so we just stopped being involved in fireworks.

Over the years it's very obvious that quite a number of serious injuries are sustained due to abuse of fireworks and just of late we've had some very serious problems in Edinburgh, well highlighted in the national media, with firework abuse which have caused severe injury, abuse of the emergency services and general distress to many residents of those areas of the city. - google it, there's some impressive and shocking footage to be seen - Just today, on my local news feed, I've read of a family dog which was terrified by the fireworks, broke loose from the family and ran out onto the A1 where it caused considerable mayhem and was eventually run over and killed.

I'm now of the opinion that fireworks should be strictly regulated and not sold to the general public at all. Organised, licensed and insured displays? absolutely. But we need to stop having them for sale in every local corner shop/supermarket/garden centre/etc/etc where incompetent idiots can get their hands on them.

Probably stirring up a bit of a hornets nest here? but what do you all think?

Even the organised shows are not 100% safe , several years ago we took the children to a stock car/ banger meeting firework display supposedly safe distance and I heard a noise and 5 foot long rocket and stick still smoking hammered into the ground inches behind my daughter where we were standing together.

Totally on board with this, we have one of our two dogs who was traumatised by a firework going off right about e our garden weeks after bonfire night, whenever she hears anything like fire works now she turns into a shaking nervous mess and paces the house looking for somewhere to hide.
This then turned into a fear of thunder, then as thunder comes with rain she is now scared whenever we get a heavy down pour.

Any thunder or fireworks we have to give her strong sedatives so she can cope and doesn’t get too stressed,

All because of one person randomly setting off fireworks without any warning.

Not to mention all the injuries from people abusing them and playing about with them.

I’m all for organised displays

Absolutely banned from public. The UK is not responsible enough to own them. Should be treated and knives or other offensive weapons in public.

It's not a new thing, I hated this time of year even 20 to 25 years ago in glasgow city centre. Just weaponising the local neds that would let them off for fun around the city. Even now it's better but they can still get their hands on them.

I'm not quite sure what's going on with the edinburgh (and dundee) disorder things. Must be an east coast posh ned problem :D

My wife would be entirely on board with banning them..

She or a close friend or someone she doesn't know at all may have had a conversation with a gentleman who had blown his parts of hand off a few years ago..

Obviously he classified this as an emergency but in terms of triage it wasn't as there was no major blood loss and he wasn't in any immediate danger of death. There was an animated disagreement..

So he got on his high horse of "I pay your wages"..and may or may not have got back "do Bupa not cover blowing your own hand off?"

Obviously I have no idea who said these things..but every year similar crap.

My wife would be entirely on board with banning them..

She or a close friend or someone she doesn't know at all may have had a conversation with a gentleman who had blown his parts of hand off a few years ago..

Obviously he classified this as an emergency but in terms of triage it wasn't as there was no major blood loss and he wasn't in any immediate danger of death. There was an animated disagreement..

So he got on his high horse of "I pay your wages"..and may or may not have got back "do Bupa not cover blowing your own hand off?"

Obviously I have no idea who said these things..but every year similar crap.
It wasn't his hand that was the problem , he was going for a pee at the time:D:D:D

had a conversation with a gentleman who had blown his parts of hand off a few years ago..
I was involved in a health education thing many years back looking at fireworks and bonfire night. Some of the X-rays were interesting

I don’t have access to the X-rays anymore but a quick google highlighted some similar results

IMG_1658.jpeg

Definitely a few of those digits didn’t get reattached

Top left...what the hell shape was his hand???

Given the bones are in the vicinity they must have been in the skin still left but wow, there's a man with no tendons.

Even if no injuries or scared animals etc. damage is so easily done. A few years ago my neightbour's car roof burnt to a crisp by a long burning firwork not making alititude bounce of a roof and landed on the roof of his car where it burned away unnoticed.

I've heard of others getting dents from those massive plastic nose coned rockets.

God help you if you live in a thatched house.

Worse still who the hell do you sue to pay for all your losses.

Our livestock hate it…it goes on for about a fortnight around bonfire night here, and now, new years is worse…we try to bring them all down but, sheep especially, like to sleep/night graze on higher ground.
The dogs are alright in the house but don’t like going out for pee’s n poo’s wehn WWIII is underway, even though they’re accustomed to the shooting brigade, modern fireworks are much louder

Back