I called it - Petrol Ban ‘Delay’

Currently reading:
I called it - Petrol Ban ‘Delay’

I don’t mean the little SUVs I mean the behemoths that seem to be taking over round here. I appreciate height needed to accommodate batteries but, with more emphasis on range rather than 0-60 and top speed, you can go further for less.
I’ve a big 4x4 for towing and loading, as a farmer, but these huge things are being used on the school runs and, for me, haven’t the towing weight or range that would actually make them practical

I think all MPs are, but I must say, if the other party was in I think they’d double down on these nonsense ‘green’ taxes on the working and the poor
There wont be anyone working when electric cars are the norm, because nobody on a normal income will be able to afford one, so everyone will be unemployed. Only the rich will be available to pay taxes, and when they have no one to exploit or to labour for next to nothing they will all become poor too. Ha ha. Up the revolution.

Yes agree with extension. Petrol (with or without Hybrid) is the only way (being selfish) I'm going to be able to tow my small caravan to Italy in two days (1000 miles +). Moving away from the selfish aspect I could charge at home but many people with no off street parking etc. just won't be able to charge their cars. I doubt the government/other will put charging points at ever door at wall side as oppsed to kerb side. Cable and safety nightmake.

Many of our poorer citizens live in these types of houses as it is all they can afford (or want). Meanwhile they need simple cheap transport to live and earn. They certainly can't afford the price jump from a cheap £5K (or so) car to a £23K (or so) car.

It is going to take *TIME* and lots of it to get all the ducks in place and in a row.

I've no problem with attempts to reduce our effect on this world but common sense, joined up thinking, investment in technology and infrastructure etc. is required. Rome was not built in a day (as they say) neither will all this NET 0 stuff either. And in any case whilst some countries try to be sensible in their agendas other will just carry on poluting, carbon trading, and every other dogde they can come up with. Delay is NOT, IMHO, a dodge but a neccessary step.

They were unaware, how do you expect them to prevent something they didnt notice.... Anyway it was only 4000 times, stop complaining.

I had to go to one of Thames waters biggest plants near Heathrow a few years back as the company I worked for were cutting the grass. I was the Safety Manager. The fuss these idiots made before I could go on site and exchange information with their management was quite astonishing. If they spent more effort doing things that sensibly need doing and less ******* about being idiots ..... things might possibly improve. I would re-nationalise them immediately without compensation. Things are no better than ever they were but now we are paying for a fresh air service. That is you pay for a service and get fresh air. One has to ask what exactrly is being monitored by the EA. The state of the Norfolk flood defences which another outfit I worked for was working on also shocked me. It is another catastrophe in waiting I fear, Did I want a ticket for the Omaze 2 million £ house on the north Norfolk coast?? Not B likely I know where that house is and I dont scuba dive.

Last edited:
Nonsense green taxes... while they allow the rivers and beaches to be polluted with raw sewage and other waste, double standards there
As a youngster 60 years ago we all swam in TorBay, even when the North East wind blew all the sanitary products and condoms straight into the harbour from the untreated outfall at Hopes Nose and look at me, Cough , Cough.
One of my sisters lives in London and says her drinking water is "passed " by Royalty;)

As a youngster 60 years ago we all swam in TorBay, even when the North East wind blew all the sanitary products and condoms straight into the harbour from the untreated outfall at Hopes Nose and look at me, Cough , Cough.
One of my sisters lives in London and says her drinking water is "passed " by Royalty;)
It is said, that by the time the Thames water reaches London, it has passed through 6 other people. I think of this every time I flush, sending another gift to the government.

Yes agree with extension. Petrol (with or without Hybrid) is the only way (being selfish) I'm going to be able to tow my small caravan to Italy in two days (1000 miles +). Moving away from the selfish aspect I could charge at home but many people with no off street parking etc.
It's 7 years away, and a ban on sales, not use. Plus in the top gear style, anything that gets caravans off the road has to be a good thing 😀
Many of our poorer citizens live in these types of houses as it is all they can afford (or want). Meanwhile they need simple cheap transport to live and earn. They certainly can't afford the price jump from a cheap £5K (or so) car to a £23K (or so) car.
That needs addressed, but the current market isn't that cheap either for a decent old car. £5k don't buy much these days. It makes no sense that a leaf costs £40k just by adding a battery and motor, but removing an engine and fuel system.

It is going to take *TIME* and lots of it to get all the ducks in place and in a row.
We have lots of time, what we don't have is a government that can use it. In the time that we have been waffling about HS2, China have linked all major cities with high speed trains. I've used them a number of times and they are amazing and cheap. That was several years ago, ran at 300kph, and were in the process then of upgrading to 400kph trains. So smooth, you dont even feel the acceleration.

It is said, that by the time the Thames water reaches London, it has passed through 6 other people. I think of this every time I flush, sending another gift to the government.
I'd never tought of that. My wifes family is in Swindon. I feel a visit coming on! We must also take the dog he can pee in the river too.

Regarding water treatment / abuse I think we have to step back a little and consider:

1) Qualtiy treament of toilet water back to human consumption is a well developed and establised scientific art. The whole process is quite complex and understood and when properly conducted works. However why & how bad water is getting back to primary "clean water" or supposedly "clean water" is a good question.

2) However to do 1) takes investment, long term commitment, no shareholder or other financial incentives, just good honest business supporting life and community ......

I think we all know how, when, where and tomorrow where the failings will be!

The answer is possibly in politics, governement control and libaility, systems run for "life" and not "profit", ......

Sadly, and to be expected, politics rarely solves issues. What does is often for non governmental / private bodies is to hit them hard and their profits and shareholder payouts. But neither is this going to really work.

What we need is HONEST, CARING, I DO NOT WANT ANY MORE MONEY, HUMANITY LOVING ....... executives and senior managers in these firms AND government.

Doubt it will ever happen in my lifetime!

What we need is HONEST, CARING, I DO NOT WANT ANY MORE MONEY, HUMANITY LOVING ....... executives and senior managers in these firms AND government.
A bit like charity execs getting £250k a year. That's why i have an issue giving to big charities now.

Unions, Government Parties, Charities, Private Sector company management (and Public Sector funding / handling) - all corrupt. But I would be keen to say that.. one is no worse than the other. Sure, one party will screw up XYZ and do a better job at ABC. But you can bet that the opposition, once in power, might do a great job at ABC... but totally screw up XYZ. Whichever one you support I suppose just depends on how much you personally are aware of how much either XYC or ABC affects you. - and it might not even affect you, but maybe you have strong views fuelled by the way the media sh*t stirs every topic. We're all caught up somewhere in the trap. I think all politicians and corruption is why we're all dragged into these expensive, useless fads... diesel, now EVs.. and no doubt something else after.

On the China note... I think if we could ignore all safety, human rights and pull money out of anything the government seen fit, we'd be polishing off HS5 now... In fairness, the only reason we can't compete with China and the likes is because we have ideals. Human rights, safety, comfort, respect, right to object, freedom that its people don't have. It's why all they can do is copy innovation from other countries. They can only do it , and do it so fast, because they don't have any regard for checks or balances like we have above. They do it because their government has no opposition, its people no say, and all the other governments and organisation around the world too scared to upset them - and equally, too dependent on its mass produced crap - which we are basically paying for as fuel for their huge infrastructure and military funding... :-/ It's quite sick really. Some hope comes as perhaps the US will level the playing field with things like computer chip production... and large companies like Apple making major investment in diversifying its mass production between India and China... It's not going to put jobs back into the US or Europe / UK... but it'll give us more leverage over bringing China to its knees which it very much is in need of.

I just hate the fact that China is now excelling in making EVs and flooding our market with them. And us (as a society at large) are foolish enough to buy them. MG was the first one I heard of... I suppose it's a side effect of the contemporary notion that anybody who is proud to be British, are now automatically associated with extreme, 'far right' 'anti-vax' 'extremists. I would wager that that's why we probably have no moral shame now in where our money goes. Sure, me or you as individuals can boycott these things and make a drop in the ocean. But the mindset of maybe supporting our Western - even EU car brands - or at least ones from countries with similar values, Korea or Japan - is what we should pay a little bit more for. If enough of us did that, maybe we'd be able to send signals in the marketplace that rejects Chinese crap. No disrespect to the people, but because everything in that country has the CCP's finger in it... it's worth boycotting. Instead, we are ripping each other apart and getting polarised, divided, arguments between 'Us (UK) and Them (EU)' when really, on a world scale we're more like each other than not - especially on morals and values and industry / needs. Now... to end on a conspiracy theory note... it is thought that a lot of this 2016 onwards divisiveness is being caused by Russian / Chinese intervention and manipulation / bots online.... tearing our society apart by turning us all against one another. Of course, that can be dismissed as a silly notion but it's all the more reason that we as neighbours / fellow UK citizen / fellow European country dwellers / fellow Westerners who believe in things like human rights / respect / fair trade work together instead of shooting each other down.

There will always be corruption but even corrupt governments and government organisations (and companies) can still do a world of good by its 99% contents of the 'worker bees' or civil servants or people on the ground, delivering things, helping people live their lives better and happier and more comfortably. Even if there are clowns on the news taking big bonuses, occasionally ruining the things altogether...

That went well off topic. Even by my standards...

China, real day-to-day china, is nothing like you think, I've been and worked there a lot. The people don't care about the government and other counties, they are big enough to be self sufficient.

Even the one child rule is misconstrued, there are many simple people that need control, and it worked. China is a much better place than India with no control. Yes, there are richer and poorer, but not starving or homeless.

And the no voting thing, i get that more and more as time goes on. How much time and money is wasted with in fighting and corruption. People don't care in China, they look and see the government general doing the right thing by then so just get on with life.

Some human rights sound bad, but we don't know the truth. And the uyghur muslims are trying to claim part of China as their own Muslim state. I'm sure the UK would be happy it's some immigrant Muslims moved in and said we'll just claim Kent as ours.

(following your off topic route 😀)

Back