General New Panda Twinair Dualogic - production stopped?

Currently reading:
General New Panda Twinair Dualogic - production stopped?

Ingvarr

Hi Everybody,

Today I've spoken with Fiat dealer about my interest in purchasing one. I was interested in dualogic transmission with TwinAir, hence wanted to test drive it first.

But the dealer told me that they don't carry any such demonstrators, and this is primarly because TwinAir Dualogic New Panda currently is not in production - due to some problems with it (?). He said they don't even know when (if) production will be resumed.

At same time he claimed that Fiat 500 TwinAir dualogic has no such problems at all.

Does anybody know anything more about this?

Hi!

We've had one of these on order since the end of May; and last time I saw the (extremely helpful and approachable) salesman we dealt with (a couple of weeks ago), everything -- reportedly -- was fine.

Anyhoo: I've just emailed him a link to this thread, to get his comments; and I'll let you know what he has to say.

Fingers crossed...!

I've just emailed him a link to this thread, to get his comments; and I'll let you know what he has to say.

Not brilliant news, I'm afraid. This is what my chap had to say:

We had a notification from FIAT Logistics mid last week regarding this, as it stands Panda Dualogic production has been postponed, I have placed several calls to various people within FIAT to ascertain whether orders already taken will still be built but have received no indication either way as yet. Production will be resuming in the near future.

As soon as I have the answer I will let you know.

I'm really hoping there isn't a problem: as I need an automatic; and loved the TwinAir...!

Watch this space...!

That's an odd one. I thought the Panda TwinAir was much the same as the 500 TwinAir, and i'm not aware of production issues on the 500 Dualogics.

Perhaps the Panda TwinAir is more different under the surface than I/we thought.

I'm sure it won't be longer than a month that it's postponed, and better that they postpone than send out cars with potential problems. I'm sure the dealer will be helpful - Grays were good regarding our 500, although admitedly we didn't have anything like this happen!

Remember it is close to the August shutdown now...
and the guys in Naples don't need the excuse of a factory shutdown to stop work...!!!

Awww... -- don't say that! :eek:

I was hoping to have the Panda before Christmas... -- although what year, I'm not saying.... :shrug:

[Dislike for same reason as Super Uwe, above...!]

Watch this space...!

Just had an update. Not utterly fantastic; but better than nowt...:

I have had confirmation that the Panda Dualogic is going back into production in October (all being well). I am still waiting for confirmation from FIAT about your specific order as build information is sparse on our systems.

Fingers well and truly crossed; and trying to remain... :cool:

Just found this... -- don't know if it's related: but wouldn't be surprised....

(Still waiting for a sensible reply from Fiat UK....)

Hm hm this is what I found on italiaspeed.com

As its sales continue to drop across Europe, Fiat's Pomigliano d'Arco factory, the home of the brand's only new range model, the third generation Panda, is set to see production halted for an extra two weeks following the usual summer break. That month long scheduled holiday period starts on 23 July...
The rest of text you can read on italiaspeed.com
So no word about earthquake. Maybe they have problems only with duallogic? Dont know!

Based in Dublin I too got the call that my dualogic Panda production would now not take place until October. It was due to be built on July 17th. At this stage I may possibly wait and go for 4x4 Panda, anybody know if this will be available in dualogic. I'm too lazyy to change gears myself!

At this stage I may possibly wait and go for 4x4 Panda, anybody know if this will be available in dualogic. I'm too lazyy to change gears myself!

From what I've read so far, it will be manual only, I'm afraid. See, for example, this Autocar report.

Hate to say it, but I'm now looking at the Hyundai, Škoda, SEAT and Kia alternatives... -- just in case. :(

Last edited:
This issues regarding delivery of the Dualogic Panda appear to be unique to the Panda Dualogic, production of all other Pandas are progressing as predicted (if not quicker) and although the New Panda is still based on the old Panda chassis it is a complete new build. the problem could stem from RHD issues (as i believe production hasn't been affected on the continent)
FIAT know from experience that the Dualogic and TwinAir work together so this should be just a temporary blip.
Having driven the 500 TwinAir Dualogic i strongly belive this is the best small Semi-Auto pairing on the market.
I hope you get your answer soon and saves you from settling for a lesser car.

PS:
The Panda 4x4, by all accounts, won't be coming in Dualogic form as the Dualogic system isn't produced to work with 4 wheel drive although hopefully they will produce a TwinAir 4x4 as the torque will be amazing for it

I was hoping to have the Panda before Christmas... -- although what year, I'm not saying....

Just heard from FIAT Customer Care -- in person (on the phone; after a series of 'holding' texts and emails) -- as well as a simultaneous email from the dealer (who continues to be very helpful -- constrained as he is by FIAT's poor lines of communication):
our logistics system... is showing a "week of confirmation" date of October (this is normally the week we would expect your car to come off the production line)....
I'm now, therefore, trying to find out roughly how long a Panda takes from production in Pomigliano d'Arco to delivery in Warwickshire!

FIAT Customer Care (FCC) were, I believe, purposefully vague, however... -- although they did mention something about...
testing the Dualogic gearbox
-- which leaves me a little uneasy, I have to admit (especially on behalf of those who have already taken delivery). FCC have promised, though, to get back to me, either...
later today... or early next week
-- when they found out what's happening. I shall post anything I discover.

Finally, the FT and just-auto confirm what danijel posted above....

Fingers still crossed, therefore... -- albeit a tad... :confused:

the problem could stem from RHD issues (as i believe production hasn't been affected on the continent)

This makes a lot of sense. Let's hope you're right...!

I hope you get your answer soon and saves you from settling for a lesser car.

Thank you. And I agree: anything else would indeed be a step down....

Just had a call from the dealer to let me know that the build date for my Dualogic twin air, according to Fiat, is week 43, third week in October, and it should land in Dublin about a week after that. Now I've to decide if I register it in '12, or leave it with the dealer and register it as '13?. With our number plate system that can mean a big difference when I trade in.

Just had a call from the dealer to let me know that the build date for my Dualogic twin air, according to Fiat, is week 43, third week in October...

Huzzah...! My dealer has notified me that our Panda is now "Fixed in Production" for week 42 (sorry for the oneupmanship...)! :cool:

Also just received a call from FIAT Customer Care: who confirmed the build date... -- even though it was then explained that the car had been put on "technical hold", because of something unspecified with regards to the Dualogic/TwinAir (RHD?) combination. :confused:

However, they have promised to keep chasing Logistics on my behalf; and will contact me every three to four weeks to let me know how things stand -- as well as if anything happens either to delay production further, or somehow(!?) bring it forwards....

Last edited:
Back