Off Topic New Car ideas

Currently reading:
Off Topic New Car ideas

Madness to pay full price for a new car, when it loses its value as soon as you drive it off the forecourt!

Not if its the car you want and there is no movement in the price.

The new and used car market has changed a lot over the last decade. Dealers seem to try and price cars to sell a lot of the time these days, as they know they'll just sit on stock otherwise, and as such won't normally move on the price.

I've only ever bought two brand new cars in my life. One was the DAF 44 which my boss let me buy at cost when I sold DAF cars for him many years ago. The other was our Ibiza in early 2016.

The Daf was a good buy and I think we got our money's worth from it as it was a very cheap car to run, simple to maintain at home (once you understood what to do with the Variomatic transmission) which we kept for years and it became Mrs J's runabout when I bought the Vitesse.

The Ibiza was an interesting purchase. My old, trusty, low tech Cordoba 1.9tdi had just bitten the dust after owning her for around 15 years. Although she had never actually stranded us anywhere she had been having various problems, including going into limp because she had a wastegate problem which was only fixable by purchasing a complete exchange turbo - ouch! So I was living with not being able to exceed 2000rpm or full throttle! We decided to "treat" ourselves to a new car as a retirement "treat" but also because we are old and need reliability for our trips down to Devon and Salisbury to visit family.

After a LOT of research I decided I wanted (and would still like) a Honda Civic 1.8 i-VTEC tourer. (I'm particularly impressed by this engine and the car generally). However, as I think I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum, this was not to be because Mrs J just couldn't get on with it. Having run a number of SEATs and Skodas in the past so I defaulted back to one of their products as a "known" prospect and settled on an Ibiza ST (estate) 1.0 95hp 3 cylinder. Dealer price was in the £14000 region (I forget the exact figure) I went in to my local dealer and was immediately "attacked" by two eager salesmen. After a short while one of them withdrew and I was shown a hatchback version of the car. I liked what I saw but the salesman was unable to answer most of the technical questions I was asking. A test drive of the 95hp engined version was not available and they couldn't show me an estate so I went home, with the salesman following me to the door offering me £500 off and a few extras (like a set of mats). I did manage to get a test drive at another smaller garage and they were able to show me an estate and I decided this was the car I wanted. They only had one prospect available in the near future which was in dark blue (Doom Blue, as a car trader friend called it) and that didn't appeal at all.

I decided, as we still had "Felicity" - our 1992 Panda Parade - at that time so we still had transport, to spend a few days trying to get the very best deal I could. So I emailed every SEAT agent in the central belt of Scotland and up into Fife and south into the Border Country inviting their very best price. I got replies from most of them, although, interestingly, not from my local dealer - which I thought was strange? I then took the best price quoted and emailed the 3 other garages which had submitted the best competing prices asking if they wanted to requote.

Having done that I walked down to our local library to exchange my books and on the way I walk past a small used car sales garage. I've talked with them before but never bought a car from them so I thought - I wonder? - Stuck my head in the door and asked if they are interested in sourcing the car for me. He asked if I had a particular car in mind and I was able to give him the exact spec I wanted. Leave it with me and I'll get back to you within a day or so said he.

In the meantime the emails came back with the best one offering around the £11,500 mark - no mention of any "incentive extras" (mats etc). Early the next morning I got a call from the wee garage and, after a very pleasant few minutes exchanging pleasantries, he asked "what is the best offer you've had so far"? Now I used to sell cars for nearly 5 years and I know this tactic so I gently said I wasn't going to "play" that game. However he, very politely, said "Look I need to make a living here. I'm pretty sure I can beat any price a main dealer is going to quote but I'm not going to simply give you the car at no gain to us". That impressed me, and I don't have anything against someone making an honest profit, so I told him. "I'll come back to you within about an hour he said". True to his word he did. "Hows about £11,000 straight"? Just let me speak to my personal financial advisor (Mrs J) and I'll be back to you before the day's out I said.

I was delaying because I suddenly thought I'd missed a trick by not looking at the websites which promise cheap new cars. I did a quick search but didn't find one that could even beat the main dealer offer I'd already had. So I took a deep breath, rang him back and accepted his offer. What about colour though I asked, I don't want that dark blue or a white one. "Oh good" said he, because the one I've tracked down is Emocion Red non metallic" Now that suited me just fine as I prefer a non metallic for touching up and I don't mind red at all. Good said he. Actually the "free" colour is now white on this model so the red should be costing you an extra £100 (approx). "I'll have it for you by the end of the week.

He rang the next day to say I can take delivery on the next day again. In the morning I was just putting my coat on to walk down to the garage when the 'phone rang. It was him. He sounded genuinely apologetic and said, Look, you can cancel if you want but I need to charge you £100 more, I'll explain why if you decide to proceed. Well, I thought, What the hell is £100? Ok, I'm still in. See you in about a half hour!

What neither of us had known was that the basic vehicle spec had changed in the short time I'd been searching and now include stuff like fancy DRLs in the headlights, LED rear lights and a few other changes and the base price had increased. So that accounted for the £100 he needed. Personally I couldn't care less about these things - just cost more to repair if they go wrong - but it probably impresses my sons more! so I couldn't care. So at the end of the day it cost me £11,100. Now, it'll be 5 years old next March, it's realistically probably worth around half what I paid for it - although there's always a good haggle to be had once a price is offered if part exchanging (remember folks it's always the amount of money you are parting with to drive away in your new purchase which is important. In many respects the trade in value on your existing vehicle is meaningless). The final "deal maker" was that he opened the doors and said "look, a complete set of fitted SEAT branded mats"! He hadn't known they were there until he'd driven the car round to the preparation area earlier. "They should be another £100 or so - just you keep them"

An interesting footnote is that when I went to pick up the new car the chap who actually did the hand over turned out to be a fellow who worked for Taggarts (BL agent) - long gone - when I worked at the BL agent down in Musselburgh. We had a grand old reunion chewing over "the old days". I've kept up contact with him and become friends with the owner too (the chap who actually got the car for me). I recently asked him about my car and asked how he managed to get it at such a good price. Apparently it was a car which someone else had ordered but then couldn't take delivery of due to a decline in their medical condition. He had just been lucky to get in there when the cancellation had just been made and, being near the end of the month, it would have had an effect on the supplying dealers sales figures so they were prepared to let it go to him at little more than cost. Lucky me!

Having said all that though, I won't be buying a new car again. It's absolutely lovely taking delivery of a new car and knowing that nothing has been abused by a previous owner and that all servicing - and more - is being done as it should but it's gobbled up quite a chunk more money than my usual 18 month to 2 year old purchase would. Also, for the first couple of years at least, I've been very aware of where I park in supermarket car parks etc (door bangers) and I feel a lot less anxious about an older car.

Having said all that though, I won't be buying a new car again. It's absolutely lovely taking delivery of a new car and knowing that nothing has been abused by a previous owner and that all servicing - and more - is being done as it should but it's gobbled up quite a chunk more money than my usual 18 month to 2 year old purchase would. Also, for the first couple of years at least, I've been very aware of where I park in supermarket car parks etc (door bangers) and I feel a lot less anxious about an older car.

Indeed if only someone could supply "new" used cars that would be the dream. Especially ones that hadn't been abused on company car, lease and pcp schemes for 3 years and got shot of.

It very nice to have been in a car from day 1 or at least nearly new...and know pretty much everything that has happened to it and what has been attended to.

I'm really enjoying not having an immaculate car these days, she tidies up OK but I'm quite happy launching it down single track roads, occasionally brushing hedges going slightly off road on occasions that require it.

Just because it's at the point where the resale value is not going to be meaningfully affected by a scrape here or there if they happen. If it was immaculate it would be worth 3800 quid...as it stands about 3500 if I battered it probably about 3000. That's not enough to care about on a daily basis..especially when I think the long term plan probably involves a scrappage scheme against an electric car or a scrap man.

Mechanically it's A1, and literally every button switch and knob works perfectly after getting on a for a decade combined with an exterior and interior that are just the right side of a little shabby is perfect for me.

+1 for the Mazda 2 and Suzuki Swift.

They're the only other cars I considered before we got our Panda.

The Honda Jazz didn't make my list only because they're heavy and not much fun to chuck about. If this doesn't matter, then as Jock says it's well worth a look.

I went with Mazdas for 10 years after getting sick of electrical faults on Citroëns and SAABs.

I'll admit I was wary of choosing FIAT over Japanese for this reason. And it's been okay but not perfect.

If you're fed up with worrying about electrical woes on your Panda I would wager 'pacific rim' cars will cause fewer headaches (they can of course still suffer from neglect, particularly rust).

I chose the Panda because an equivalent Mazda or Suzuki would cost more to run in higher insurance, fuel consumption, costs of parts and consumables.

Plus I think the Panda is more versatile, fun and likeable, personally.

And it has this great forum, which most cars don't (y)

Last edited:
+1 for the Mazda 2 and Suzuki Swift.

They're the only other cars I considered before we got our Panda.

As someone who went the other way so from Fiat to a Suzuki Swift and then a Mazda I'd say Mazda over Suzuki.

Just because although they are more expensive the money goes into the materials. Neither has that germanic "bank vault" feel but the Swift always felt like it was well made from cheapest possible material.

Ownership experience bore this out, over 6 years it racked up quite a few repairs, wheel bearings, wishbones × 6, shock absorbers, exhaust repairs, hard brake pipes needed doing at 6 years, air con pipe cracked and it was basically an engine out job to fix. Oh and also had 5th gear replaced under warranty...this is the stuff I remember anyway fairly sure there was other stuff. Also it felt very tired at 75k when I got rid if it. It sounds horrifically unreliable it wasn't this is 6 years and 60k of breakages.

Current Mazda list is, drop links x4, heater fan in the same 6 year period and 50 odd k miles it also has 85k miles on it so has gone further than the Suzuki had when I pulled the plug and still feels reasonably fresh suspension and gearbox wise.

I'd say Mazda over Suzuki.<br />
<br />
Just because although they are more expensive the money goes into the materials. Neither has that germanic "bank vault" feel but the Swift always felt like it was well made from cheapest possible material.
<br />
<br />
Aye, that's a fair point, the Suzuki Swift interior does feel cheap and the Mazda 2 is more refined both to be in and drive. <br />
<br />
That is a surprisingly long list of faults on the Suzuki too. Nothing on our Mazdas ever went wrong, just a few consumables. And rusty rear sills... Mazdas also seem to have strangely high insurance.<br />
<br />
I still liked the Suzuki. It's lighter and feels it.<br />
<br />
Neither would tempt me away from the Panda, though. I can appreciate others might need more refinement from their car, but it's perfect for us?

Last edited:
size wise

Attachments

• Screenshot (20).jpg
    Screenshot (20).jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 19
The only must that I am wanting is Bluetooth/hands free connectivity.
Maybe not quite what you're after, but I added Bluetooth with a simple cigar-lighter plug-in transmitter (like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless...975221?hash=item5b7b23ea35:g:sqsAAOSwU21fPPkd).

It means I can play music from my phone and make and receive calls.

Due to FIAT's charmingly unique lighter socket, it sits quite loosely and is easy to knock out when trying to use it...

Wired-in bt receivers are also available, a good auto audio place should be able to sort this for you.

I also like the double-DIN touchscreen 7018 B which has Bluetooth, as fitted by a forum member here: https://www.fiatforum.com/panda/473680-2-din-radio.html?473680=#post4481826

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
That is a surprisingly long list of faults on the Suzuki too. Nothing on our Mazdas ever went wrong, just a few consumables. And rusty rear sills... Mazdas also seem to have strangely high insurance.

I still liked the Suzuki. It's lighter and feels it.

Neither would tempt me away from the Panda, though. I can appreciate others might need more refinement from their car, but it's perfect for us��

Think the insurance depends on the car and the person insuring it, currently paying 220 quid a year on the Mazda 3. Superminis do tend to cost more than family cars though cos lots of people get them as 1st cars and push the overall risk rating up. Rusty sills..mines starting in the rear arches, the sills are cleanish but realistically it's not going to be an mot problem until 15-20 years old at which point it's the life expectancy for a normal daily driven car.

I liked the Swift, I was going to get a more modern one but baby was on the horizon if not on his way and 200 odd litre boot would have been meant needing a roofbox. I also liked the Panda, in my opinion last "proper" Fiat before they diluted it with GM and now PSA but whoever designed "dual drive" steering needs a punch in the face. Also for where I live the 1.2 is not good enough and they killed all the other decent engine options years ago.

Last edited:
<br />
<br />
Aye, that's a fair point, the Suzuki Swift interior does feel cheap and the Mazda 2 is more refined both to be in and drive. <br />
<br />
That is a surprisingly long list of faults on the Suzuki too. Nothing on our Mazdas ever went wrong, just a few consumables. And rusty rear sills... Mazdas also seem to have strangely high insurance.<br />
<br />
I still liked the Suzuki. It's lighter and feels it.<br />
<br />
Neither would tempt me away from the Panda, though. I can appreciate others might need more refinement from their car, but it's perfect for us?

Refinement..
I dont think our 2004 was any worse than our 2013..
You can always turn the radio up.. :)

P.s.
Turn the heating up! :p

Brr.. Brr ;)

Last edited:
When my daughter got married and moved away down to the south of England in the early 2000s she "upgraded" her elderly Panda to a brand new 2 door Suzuki Swift (2nd Gen). Surprisingly our local dealer up here in Edinburgh did her a considerably better deal than any she could get down where she now lived. Luckily for her (or had she "craftily" factored in) the car was ready for collection just when we were due to take our annual trip south to visit them. I drove the Suzuki and Mrs J followed in our, quite newly aquired, Cordoba. The Swift was a very nice drive. Quite light and spritely on the twisty A702 and coped very well with the long drag down the M6.

The car proved to be very reliable as her daily driver needing only regular servicing until one day the radiator developed a sudden serious leak. Shortly afterwards the MOT found serious rust in the floor. - which didn't particularly surprise me as, in common with a lot of far eastern vehicles of that time, there was little underbody rust proofing - She got all that fixed but in short order more serious things went wrong and shortly after that she traded it in. It was as if the car had suddenly reached the end of an intentional "planned component life". I liked the car although it was a bit "cheap and tinny" it was very easy to work on (although I didn't often do that as it was based at the other end of the country) certainly not a car to be dismissed lightly from anyone's list of possibilities.

Mine was a similar experience, an 06 3 door 1.5.

First few years would have been fine if I hadn't chased noises...things like the 1st 4 gears not whining then 5th emitting a high pitched whistle. Eventually lead to the new gear, also the tumble function on the rear seats didn't work..and they broke nearly everything in the back of the car fixing it. Front wishbones were creaky at the same time so got done.

After that it ran fine with the odd set of new wish bones and wheel bearing...then the last year I had, it just had the feeling of car on the downslope. Never massive issues as such, just always something, so exhaust fell off...welded back on..hand brake adjustor popped, fixed that, Popped a rear shock, OK let's get a pair, brake pipes rotted, let's get that done, half the dash panel lights went off, hmmmm Coolant starting to disappear slowly ..OK I see where this is going..aircon pipe blew out..Bye car have a nice life.

At the time I had new car money saved up, could see where it was going and pressed eject. Mot history suggests it certainly didn't improve and is possibly dead now at 14 with a bit over 100k on the clock but new owner(s) have only put 20k on it in 6 years.

Last edited:
I didnt realise Poppy Panda was so 'young'

Should last a while longer... but still not worth much more than £700 :)
It's probably worth more than that, if you look on autotrader the price of a 10 year old Panda seems to have increased, in fact most "cheap" cars for sale are very expensive wrecks that haven't been maintained, with lots of faults and moon miles, I look at the MOT history on-line and it is obvious they just scrape through or fail with the same faults every year.
I paid £1000 in Nov2019 for my 10reg 1.2 eco Dynamic and think it's worth more now compared to the offerings available.

I’m thinking either a 4x4 Panda, or the newer Panda. They just are cars that I like and find enjoyable to drive. The only must that I am wanting is Bluetooth/hands free connectivity. I would never pay full price, but also want to own the car and not buy into these lease schemes where you are limited by mileage etc. How much would you expect to pay?
You could just change the radio unit, I have been thinking of getting a modern replacement fitted to mine as I would like DAB and music streaming hands free phone etc it's a easy swap out and fit a windscreen aerial for dab and microphone for the hands free.

I know enough about current cars to understand the complexity of their systems. My current and previous cars have all been company vehicles so I've paid zilch. I knew my Panda would have issues but this does not mean they are unreliable; the Panda might be basic but it has the same control systems as other cars. I've had 3 faults the my car - pedal potentiometer, brake light switch and gearbox input speed sensor. All the fault codes were spot on which I fixed the faults.
Now, I do like FIAT group cars because I do find them well engineered. I don't like cars with fundamental problems which many German cars have.
However my next private vehicle will be a lease car due to the increased use of technology in them.
And most likely it will be a FIAT group car and possibly a JEEP.

I know enough about current cars to understand the complexity of their systems.

Now, I do like FIAT group cars because I do find them well engineered. I don't like cars with fundamental problems which many German cars have.
However my next private vehicle will be a lease car due to the increased use of technology in them.
And most likely it will be a FIAT group car and possibly a JEEP.

Unfortunately what you'll find is you can't build a simple car, the amount of stuff effectively mandated by crash testing and EU directives means you build a simple car it gets 3 stars maximum even if the body shell is intrinsically strong.

Of our 2 cars one is 5 star car..(tested under the old regime) one is 4 star car (tested under the new regime that gave Panda and Grande Punto 0 stars). The reason the 4 star car was not 5 stars...it doesn't have automated braking, seriously that's why, it's not more dangerous than any of the 5 star cars in the class, but it will allow you to crash.

The problem with a lot of the modern safety systems is they rely on umpteen sensors some of which are in very vulnerable positions, some of which only work well in good conditions, some of which rely things as basic as having a clean windscreen. As a result the more advanced it gets the more spurious warnings you tend to get.

Thankfully we got in early doors with a 2017 car as you can switch things like lane keep assist off and they stay off, in later models they come back on every time you start the car.

Fiats going forward are going to use the same tech and they're probably going to use the same engine until electrifcation. Can't imagine Stellantis or whatever it's called will bother designing a new small capacity engine other than the puretech when it's dead in 10 years.

So what am I saying? Well German cars tend to be unreliable due to complication, but there are no longer simple cars so everything is vulnerable to random faults. Suppose the one thing to keep comfort from is French cars keep beating German ones in reliability surveys so at least with the PSA tie up they will be as reliable a Citroëns rather than VWs..

Suppose the one thing to keep comfort from is French cars keep beating German ones in reliability surveys so at least with the PSA tie up they will be as reliable a Citroëns rather than VWs..

The real competition in terms of reliability comes from the Pacific Rim, not Europe.

If I were buying a long term keeper, I'd have more confidence in a Hyundai than a Citroen.

Unfortunately what you'll find is you can't build a simple car, the amount of stuff effectively mandated by crash testing and EU directives means you build a simple car it gets 3 stars maximum even if the body shell is intrinsically strong.

Of our 2 cars one is 5 star car..(tested under the old regime) one is 4 star car (tested under the new regime that gave Panda and Grande Punto 0 stars). The reason the 4 star car was not 5 stars...it doesn't have automated braking, seriously that's why, it's not more dangerous than any of the 5 star cars in the class, but it will allow you to crash.

The problem with a lot of the modern safety systems is they rely on umpteen sensors some of which are in very vulnerable positions, some of which only work well in good conditions, some of which rely things as basic as having a clean windscreen. As a result the more advanced it gets the more spurious warnings you tend to get.

Thankfully we got in early doors with a 2017 car as you can switch things like lane keep assist off and they stay off, in later models they come back on every time you start the car.

Fiats going forward are going to use the same tech and they're probably going to use the same engine until electrifcation. Can't imagine Stellantis or whatever it's called will bother designing a new small capacity engine other than the puretech when it's dead in 10 years.

So what am I saying? Well German cars tend to be unreliable due to complication, but there are no longer simple cars so everything is vulnerable to random faults. Suppose the one thing to keep comfort from is French cars keep beating German ones in reliability surveys so at least with the PSA tie up they will be as reliable a Citroëns rather than VWs..
Is assume firefly the 3 and 4 cylinder will be the last petrol engine fitted in any fiat for the next 10 years certainly the last fiat made engine

It is only the UK that is stopping the sale of fossil fuel cars in 10 years time, so of course petrol and diesel vehicles will still be developed. Think of the vast markets in Asia, America, Russia and even most of Europe. whether you could or want to import a fossil fuel vehicle after the cut off, is a different matter.
newer technologies other than electric may evolve by then too.

Back