Near rear ending!!

Currently reading:
Near rear ending!!

Well the cam's been used a few times (not overly keen on the rear-facing camera though).
First time out & spotted one of our wonderful taxi drivers parking WTF they like - this one was on the yellow zigzags right outside a school entrance - and partway on the path.
He was still there some 10 minutes later as I came out from dropping my passengers off - so I whipped out my mobile & took some pics as well. When he saw me taking pics, he drove up the road then swung around & parked in front of the car in front of me.
I would have let him know what I was doing but thought he'd enjoy the surprise more coming from the taxi licensing people:devil:

I pass him at 9seconds (just as the large lorry is overtaking him)

I have previously tried to video my journey using a mobile and a camera but neither coped very well with the vibration/bumps in the road.
My new camcorder has excellent stability control but it's a very expensive piece of kit to be carrying around on a dashboard all the time.
This camera system is handy because it is stable, runs off the car and auto stops & starts with the power. The speed reading is also a handy thing to have (just in case).

There is, of course, a downside to using this camera - if you have a prang & were speeding just before the accident, this could have the opposite effect & go against you - even if you don't consider yourself to be at fault.
It may be decided that by submitting the video, you admit to doing [30++] in a 30mph zone & had you not been speeding, the accident might not have occurred.

Last edited:
There is, of course, a downside to using this camera - if you have a prang & were speeding just before the accident, this could have the opposite effect & go against you - even if you don't consider yourself to be at fault.
It may be decided that by submitting the video, you admit to doing [30++] in a 30mph zone & had you not been speeding, the accident might not have occurred.

I'm currently trying to look into software to to extensive video editing to crop that part of the video :p

Glad to see you've got your T-eye up and running. Before long everyone will have one and I'll need to start a group :ROFLMAO:

Why do you not like internal cam :confused:

i guess the internal one lets you see your own gormy face lol
hey MEP can you set these to record constantly? I might get one for recording my events. iI see a few people do this (have 2 camcorders usualy) so they can watch themselves after and see ways to improve.
Plus it would be better then my current camera :)

Why do you not like internal cam :confused:

I'm not very photogenic, never have liked seeing myself on camera - just feel awkward.
Same with the built in mic, don't like hearing my voice either.

Craig, these things will start recording as soon as you give them power & stop when the power goes off. (there is a delay of about 30 seconds as the unit initialises (I guess it has to find GPS, time signal etc)
If you let it carry on recording, it will overwrite starting at the beginning.
If something happens that you want to keep, you can save this as an event. It will save up to 3 mins before and 1 min after the 'event' button is pressed (or the internal sensor detects a collision!) (all recording is saved, an event cannot be overwritten automatically)
Mine came with 2GB SD card which supposedly gives 90 mins storage or 64 mins events.
I happened to have an 8 gig SDHC card spare so that will give 370 mins storage.
I knew approximately what time my 'event' happened so didn't bother saving it, I knew I would have plenty of storage left.

Last edited:
Before long everyone will have one and I'll need to start a group

I have said, for a long time, that insurance companies should adopt the same attitude as some other countries - heavy discounts for users of DVR.
I have also said we should have sections of the police (perhaps utilising older officers that they would normally put out to pasture) where we can send in our contributions. A reward could be given if drivers are successfully prosecuted.
They may even find more untaxed/uninsured cars as a result.

i guess the internal one lets you see your own gormy face lol
hey MEP can you set these to record constantly? I might get one for recording my events. iI see a few people do this (have 2 camcorders usualy) so they can watch themselves after and see ways to improve.
Plus it would be better then my current camera :)

Yep, would work really well for that. Just get a bigger memory card and away you go (y)

I'm not very photogenic, never have liked seeing myself on camera - just feel awkward.
Same with the built in mic, don't like hearing my voice either.

Lol. Same here, but I tend to forget its there and all is well (except for on review when I catch myself picking my nose or something :yuck: :p).

I to hate my own voice when recorded :p

I have said, for a long time, that insurance companies should adopt the same attitude as some other countries - heavy discounts for users of DVR.
I have also said we should have sections of the police (perhaps utilising older officers that they would normally put out to pasture) where we can send in our contributions. A reward could be given if drivers are successfully prosecuted.
They may even find more untaxed/uninsured cars as a result.

Yep. I've even asked my insurance upon taking it out and got a blatant no (n) :(

Agree about the rewards thing, catching bad drivers etc :devil: :p

Could catch enough and get so much in rewards that motoring works out to cost nothing.

Now thats wishful thinking :rolleyes:

What happens if you start your car, drive for 30 mins, stop your car (turn it off) and then start it up again and drive for 30 minutes.

Will it save the whole hour, or does it always start overwriting from the beginning everytime you turn it on?

Nope, will do the latter and record the full hour (or however much you can stick on the memory card).

So if you only do 15 min of driving a day it will only start to overwrite after 4 days if it's got 1hour storage (y)

With my 8gig card, I'm supposed to get 370 mins.
When you look at the files on the card, they are labelled from each minute so on a full card I have 370 files.
if i watch the first file, it automatically stitches the next file to it for seamless watching.
One downside, the lens doesn't like the sun

Back