• Tightening

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Slackening

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Either : doesn't matter

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Very rarely have I linked spanners for more torque - I feel its too risky. I have used extension tubes (ring end on bolt) but when really needed it to work the spanner shaft bent. I dont have any long arm type for cam belt tensioners so linking works well sometimes putting a jack under the free end so I can keep it out of the way. The force really is not that great the issue is access.

It was years before I got myself a long breaker bar for sockets. Who knows why - they are not silly money and make life so much easier.

Last edited:
Very rarely have I linked spanners for more torque - I dont have any long arm type for cam belt tensioners so linking works well sometimes putting a jack under the free end so I can keep it out of the way. The force really is not that great the issue is access.

It was years before I got myself a long breaker bar for sockets. Who knows why - they are not silly money and make life so much easier.

I struggled for ages (too long) to attempt to mount a new belt on a 307 at the roadside..
The breakdown guy said.. oh you have to link spanners for this.. and so he did

Doing the belt on my 1.9 jtd I managed to raise the front enough to get a 2ft breaker in there CAUTIOUS PROGRESS.. that spring was massive

My 1248mj I can 'just' do it at the roadside.. I spanner on the tensioner..thd other hand 'wrapping the belt ' around the last pulley

As you say .. its a last resort really..

But waving big hammers around instead has its own issues.

The cam belt on Punto Mk2 HGT was close to impossible. I had to use torx screwdriver bits with an 8mm spanner to remove the cover screws. The tensioner spring is tough but well within the abilities of linked spanners. The issue is you cannot get close enough to push the spanner. I used the jack as that gave me two hands to thread the belt. Carefully lowered the jack it was slow (so little load on it). Then checked the crank was at TDC and tightened the cam wheel bolts. Aux belt was almost as nasty so the jack came in there as well.

Back