General My 1.4 16v Cinquecento Development thread

Currently reading:
General My 1.4 16v Cinquecento Development thread

That's not right I don't think.

I turned over my dry engine by hand and you could hear a noise, but not that grindy or loud, though that could just be the recording.

Was it a known runner when you had it?

I would be tempted to fire it up, and see what happens. If its still fooked, then strip it down.

Why do you think it's the oil pump though? Is that where the noise is from?

KRistian

am thinking oil pump because it sounds a bit like the airy kind of noise the oil pump makes as it sucks up oil.. not explained well, but my old block did it when you turned it over by hand.

engine was meant to be a runner yeah.

could just be there is no oil inthe top end but,,,, thats sound as though something is catching, a guard or something maybe?

i thought that and imdeidately checked the flywheel cover, but it seems fine. i need to get someone else round to turn it over whilst i have a listen and see if i can work out where the noise is coming from.

its not ready to fire up yet, i just wanted another thing crossed off the list!

am thinking oil pump because it sounds a bit like the airy kind of noise the oil pump makes as it sucks up oil.. not explained well, but my old block did it when you turned it over by hand.

reet, what i meant is it is to do with gearing. turning the crank pulley a small amount seems to make more noise than it should, as if it's a geared bit spinning quicker and making more noise, ie oil pump?

Hello mate that don't sound right.

i thought it would be the flywheel guard but if you've check that obviously its not that. So i think it could just be oil not reaching the top end of the engine. when you put the oil in did you take the cam cover off and pour oil over the cam etc?
slightly different situation but i put a cam in my motor and the car was on the ramps and when i started it, it had run find for a while and then seize and i think that was because i never lubricate the top end properly. so now when i put an engine in or change a cam i always cover the cam and top end with gearbox oil.

sorry mate just seen your last thread i would say its the oil pump but i have never heard an oil pump make that noise before, but if thats the case it may of affected the rest of the engine before you had it , lets hope not.

Last edited:
If you think it may be the top end making the noise, lock the cams, remove the belt, and unscrew the extension a few cm so all the valves are closed. Then turn the crank by hand. You won't get contact etc, and the extension gasket should be fine to torque back down without replacing.

I doubt its the oil pump, but if it is, i have a spare.

Kristian

cheers for all the tips guys, i started at what i thought it sounded like, took the starter out to inspect the cover - and i must've bent it when i was putting the box back.

DSCF5110.jpg

so now when i put an engine in or change a cam i always cover the cam and top end with gearbox oil.

If it is a rebuild, I oil can everything from a pressure oil can, rings, any bearings, cams, tappets, oil weys with normal premium oil, but I've never rebuilt an engine with an ECU and fast run. Starting them in warm they would fire, and you could leave then at a slow tickover while they burnt off any oil, brought the coolant up to pressure.

It was agony watching one run for a minute before the oi' pressure gauge showed any pressure, oil cooler I forgot to prime, tusk tusk.

A mate forgot to put oil in a gear box got half way to MoT station...

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back