General My 1.4 16v Cinquecento Development thread

Currently reading:
General My 1.4 16v Cinquecento Development thread

Coming along nicely.

We did the same as Kristian chopped off the bolt, but on Sei's you have the extra securing bolt on top, Cinqs don't, so you may have to think of some way of making headlamp secure as that's a MOT check.

Maybe take but the threaded section so its flush with bolt and see how much space you have then.

Just take the bolt out and replace it with a self tapper. This is what I did on my first 16v conversion a long time ago and going to do on the other one.

i might just do that, i seem to remember that bolt coming out of the plastic on the headlight with my old one - so no reason why a sellf tapper can't be used!

i might just do that, i seem to remember that bolt coming out of the plastic on the headlight with my old one - so no reason why a sellf tapper can't be used!

yeah mine do this also, very annoying at times cos' takes so long to undo haha, nice little progress thread you've got going on though, keep up the good work(y)

i think its doable in situ, there are no timing marks to worry about seeing. you just lock the cam in place and lock the bottom end in place and change the belt. easy peasy.

well i took the headlight out, and then that bolt out and attacked it with the angle grinder. It now sticks out about 0.5mm. Job sorted.

Found out i need to take a tiny bit more off the mount tho, the pulley fouls it when setting the tension in the belt to the correct amount.

Have adapted the cento wiring (drilled out main connector and converted other from spade to pole) to allow the 16v alternator to connect up.

Just having a brew before getting back to it!

Take it out further than you think you need. It does move a small amount at high rpm under load. I had a belt snap once due to that (when experimenting). I have heard it MAY take out the engine, as the load change can cause the cam belt to slip...dunno if thats true though

hay man nice project:) i was thinking about doing this myself but with the engine out of my punto sporting

what is the differance between the 1.2 and 1.4 are they more or less the same just bore'd or stroked different???

alan

aye i can't wait to get it back on the road :D

todays update;

that bolt has gone;

14012009372_copy.jpg

take off plate my oil temp / pressure gauge does not fit;

14012009369_copy.jpg

alternator and starter motor are both on and plumbed in.

injectors are wired up. i've shortened some wires and tidied the loom up a bit

14012009374_copy.jpg

14012009375_copy.jpg

fuel lines are lined up

14012009377_copy.jpg

doesnt look like much progress but i spent flippin ages under the car with a file making the alternator pulley full clear the mount (grinder wouldnt fit in the gap)

kristian - which TDC sensor did you use? The stilo engine has a two pin sensor, and it has no wiring on it. My loom is currently setup to use a three pin sensor, and has around half the amount of sheilded cable. It looks like the sensor from my old engine would fit tho.

Last edited:
......I had exchange some parts, and its a bit fiddly runnign a seperate thermostat etc...........It ran too close though, and meant I couldn't install the stat.....so i had to shift it a fair bit over........

Here's some more pics of the install so far....just plumbing to do now :D

View attachment 46750

View attachment 46751

Sadly the cento stuff won't fit. Only early 1242 16v's ran the cento filter afaik.

These are called a micro filter, adn you can't get the plate with a stat built in = lots more money.

I have another thread about somewhere with part numbers. I'll see if i can dig it up :)

I know exactly what you mean when you say it looks like a little but took ages :eek:

Kristian

Last edited:
can you get remote filter setups in micro setup? the 1242 16v i have in the garage does use the old style. doh. i did tell the bloke on ebay that it was for a 2004 FIAT Stilo 1.4 16v, and the plate fouls the engine not the car.. so it is going back as it wouldnt have fit the Stilo either

did you catch the edit re the TDC sensor?

Last edited:
Best chat too thinkauto, but i THINK you can get remote filtersfor it. Ultimatly, all you'd really need is a dummy filter and then relocate whereever you like.

Missed your edit, but seen it now. I use the panda 100hp one, which has a plug at the sensor, that the loom goes into.

You can easily fit you own sensor there though, and all would be dandy.

On the 3 pin, one is a screen that's not connected at the sensor end anyway, the other two are the signal.

The two pin sensor has a shield, just like the 3 pin, but as its one single piece of wire, hidden right up to the ecu, you only see two wires. hence only 2 pins.

With regards to the old 1242 oil pump, you could consider swapping the oil pump over? it may let you use that take off you have, and MAY allign your cento alternator with the pulley, moving the belt away from the mount. Probs too late for that idea now though :p

Hope i make sense....very tired and off to bed :D

Kristian

ah, the 1242 has the TDC in the same place as the 1368 tho - in fact im using the 1242 pulley on the 1368 engine as the 1368 pulley had too many grooves and was slightly larger diameter, so would overdrive the (1242) alternator and with it being bigger it was not helping with the clearance issues!!

ta for tips re oil system (y) i could fit the 1242 oil pump etc, but it seems like a lot of faff when what i'll prolly do is remote oil fitler and then stat off that for a cooler (when it needs one)

Last edited:
*We have also made a quantity of sandwich plates from billet aluminium to fit the Japanese microfilter which are of slightly smaller diameter than the new SP1. They are called SP2A/B/ etc.

For remote filter applications where no take off is shown, the only solution is to use a sandwich plate together with the existing filter bowl with the filter removed, if space is limited, bowl and center bolt must be cut down to suit.

Source, thinkauto . I looked in the catalouge, and the bold part is your only choice for remote filter. Best ring to check though!!!!! and make SURE you expalin you need the smaller setup....i had troubles trying to get them to understand.

Kristian

kk, cheers. I will get in touch with them once i'm ready to fit a cooler. For now i dont class it as a prioirty, and having spent far too much on the exhaust already! :eek:

Back