Technical 1.2 16v swap problems

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 16v swap problems

braken11

Hi guys, I did an engine swap on cinq sporting some time ago to a 1.2 16v engine from punto mk2. I got a manifold and throttle body from mk1 and ignition coils from cinquecento engine. The thing is, the car starts, but it appears as it has a bad air fuel mixture or bad ignition timing. It is misfiring and doesnt idle right. The fuel pressure is about 3 bars on ignition and drops slightly when car is started. Water temp gauge is not working for some reason it just jumps to 130 on ignition and drops to 0 on start even if the car is hot. Has anybody had same issues? I will try to attach some photos and videos. Hopefully someone can help me.. Cheers

In the video where car idles around 1k rpm the engine is about 80 or 90 degrees warm.
In the video where car dies engine is cold.

Temp gauge is wired from cinqs green/white to puntos green/white cable on D4 connector.

Attachments

• IMG_6756.mov
    86.2 MB
  • IMG_6710.mov
    71.4 MB
  • IMG_6755.mov
    55.5 MB
  • IMG_6757.jpeg
    IMG_6757.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
you're using the punto ecu, can you connect to it and see whether it gives you any info? can you check that the timing of the engine is OK?
you could check whether the coolant temp sensor is OK by putting it in water and measuring resistance across the terminals. cold - warm - hot should give large-mid-low resistance.

you're using the punto ecu, can you connect to it and see whether it gives you any info? can you check that the timing of the engine is OK?
you could check whether the coolant temp sensor is OK by putting it in water and measuring resistance across the terminals. cold - warm - hot should give large-mid-low resistance.
Hi. Thanks for replying. For some reason i cant connect to the punto mk1 ecu with iaw scan 2. Could be because of bad type of obd cable. The engine was running good before in the punto mk2 where the engine is from so i assume the timing is good. I will re-check it again just to make sure. Coolant temp sensor is also good, it changes resistance depending on temperature.

I also dont have 1 wire connected which is grey-white wire (coming from punto loom). Im not sure what it is for it is a single pin metal connector.
I didnt find it in electrical diagram either.

I have vag kkl 409.1 cable with fiat 3 pin reduction. Can i ask what cable do you use?

New knowledge: Cinquecento engine appearently has 2 coolant temp sensors. One for signal to the ECU and the other for dashboard. As I mentioned earlier, I dont have 1 grey white wire connected from the punto loom (single pin), and this wire could just be for the second temp sensor that is sending signal to the ECU. Cinquecento loom has green white wire (dashboard signal) as the single pin connector and punto loom has green white wire attached to the two pin blue connector.
I forgot to take the battery with me today so i couldnt test it. I will try to connect second sensor and update this thread for anybody who reads this lol.
I havent seen this piece of information anywhere on swap guides so it might be atleast a bit useful for someone.

Attachments

• cinq connecion 2.jpg
    cinq connecion 2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • cinq connection.jpg
    cinq connection.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • cinq sensor 2.jpg
    cinq sensor 2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
  • cinq sensor 3.jpg
    cinq sensor 3.jpg