ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).jpg

Panda (Classic) Mk1 Fiat panda 4X4 restore

Introduction

Sam's Fiat Panda mk1 restoration thread

Day 1

Started work today on the panda, my god, what have I done :eek:. As im working on the car I'm keeping a running notepad report/ideas/questions sheet.

Mission today : Rust finding

Rust found on

Front arches
Front sills (passenger side)
Under washer bottle
Scuttle pannle, passenger side
Rear tail gate

Rear tail gate is a write off, and the rest is going to need a lot of welding. Underside checks out with solid jacking points. Rear arches solid but have surface rust. Look better after a blast with the sander.

Removed bonnet 4X10mm bolts
Spare wheel removed with tool kit and jack
Washer bottle 1x 8mm nut
Scuttle panel vents
Bulk head insulation, removed 2 Philips screws removed fuse box (2 wires disconnected my mouse)
1 Orange and 1 white block disconnected from washer bottle
vents removed, 2x2 Philips screws
Wiper removed
Scuttle panel removed

Photos to be sorted out soon, sorry for the some what ott list, its more for my reference as I know what i'm like with bits of paper.

I was happy with everything till I saw the mess under the scuttle panel :eek: Im in this deep however I may as well crack on.

I have two options, find a panda non runner and cut the bits I need out of that, Or get my self a anvil and vise and make up some sheets my self.

All in all, PANIC!!!!
Only really this one so show the one side completely stripped. This was pre clean up stage

_DSC0173.jpg

I need to get back out there and crack on with it, until lately the weather being what its been (we hit -18 one night and -15 most of the week) to harsh to do anything, even in a workshop with a heater

Has any one got any images that illustrate the difference between them?

I thought there was the 2 types the metal one with a few vertical slits, mostly solid. And the plastic ones that are horizontal

Are there 3 types of grill then, and which one do I need! :D

- up to 1984 pandas had metal grille with vertical slits on one side only (sold at hadrians)

- 1984-6 the plastic grille was introduced on the 4x4 and the 45 only I think it was. This looks just like a mk2 grille that has many horizontal slots but due to the shape of the mk1, the headlights are nigh on vertical looking from the side profile of the car. And so therefore so is the grille (this is not sold at hadrians :( )

- 1986 the mk2 was introduced with the fire engine and updated body. One of the changes they made was to make the headlights slant at an angle (for aerodynamics of course :p) and so the grille was changed to match this slope. (sold at hadrians)

- In 1991 there was another face lifted grille that only has 3 thin horizontal slats and a fat slat at the top. (sold at hadrians)

You could fit a mk2 headlight and grille to a mk1 but if you fit just a mk2 headlight or just a mk2 grille one or the other would stick out proud and not be flush.

So in summary, for your mk1 you need to fit either a mk1 plastic grille (1984-1986) or buy all mk2 headlights and grilles (post 1986).

Possibility: You might be able to adapt a mk2 grill to fit at the correct angle....just a thought (y)

Hope thats a bit clearer anyway,
Cheers,
Si

Mine is 1985, Do you have a image of the grill that it should have?
(and thanks for that post, its great, I have printed it out to go in my notes book)

Mine has the original grille on it:

DSCI1556.jpg

No probs, there are so many little differences its painful sometimes. And I am allways finding new ones!! It is visually very similar to a mk2, I will try to take a picture of a mk1 and mk2 side silhouette at some point to show the angle difference. I only have mk1's though LOL!! Need to get hold of my mk2 owning friends I think:D

Cheers
Si

PS thought of another difference. You know the mk1 metal grille only has slits on one side....well the mk1 plastic grille only has gaps between the slats on the passenger side (because the radiator is that side) but the mk2 one is for the fire engine (large radiator that is width of engine bay) has gaps all the way across. So you would have to blank half of it off if you were to adapt a mk2 one or you'll get carb icing!!

Last edited:
Just to clarify about grills on MK1. All 45s VIP had the plastic grill. Comfort, CL had metal grill. I'm not sure but I think the 4x4 was fitted with both.

That seems to fit in with Si`s description, looks like you`ve got it! (y)

Great thread BTW, I`ve just read through the lot! We need to locate some spares cars that we can cut sections out of, like for your screen/dash top & boot lid.

Did you just fill the bottom corners of the rear screen or did you cut the corners out of a Mk2 tailgate & weld them in?

I`ve got a big dent in an akward place to repair in my Panda`s hatch, but the screen surround & all edges are still rust free, if I can locate an un-dented one it`d still be useful to keep for sections like that.

That hadrians site is good, thanks for that Chas, the slightly gutting thing is, they list Uno door sections, both outer skin bottoms & inner frame bottoms, but none for the Panda, which, arguably is more prone to door rot than the Uno.... the bottom 5" of my passenger door frame has literally vanished on my Panda, the relatively good skin just flaps around in the wind!

I could use some damaged Panda doors for sectioning if anyones got some!

Last edited:
To repair the boot I had to cut and weld my own plates in. I finished it off with a filler. Not a ideal solution bit the mk1 boot lid is rare and not easy to replace.
The windscreen section is being built up in the same way.
The sheds will be clear by tomorrow so I should be able to crack on with some welding Monday night.
(You have a great collection of cars by the way, I'm only aloud 3 at a time :( )

Thanks! I love em! I saw you`ve got a Jag too! little Fiats & big Jags are a good combo!

You could have used a damaged Mk2 tailgate to get exact repair sections on your tailgate, I`d imagine the rusty bits on yours would be identical to the Mk2 its always worth keeping damaged panels for that kind of sectioning, makes it alot easier & you barely need filler after, I`ve chopped out repair sections for my XJ40`s sills & bootlid like that, then seemlessly butt welded them in.

I`ve got some rust staining just starting under the screen seal on my dash too so I`m probably going to have to do something similar, but I dont think its as bad as yours & its in the straight section in the middle, so should be easier to repair.

Anyway, I`m subscribed, good to see you saving a Mk1! Top work! :D

Just to agree with Si. Yes that is the correct plastic grill for the MK1. What you have is up there with Hens teeth and black budgies....:D

Pointless info time - That grill was introduced on the Panda Super in 1983. It was the first use of the five bar logo which was to be the fiat logo through the Eighties and into the Nineties.

After trying to sort out some bits and bobs in the smaller shed I gave up and desided it was time to move the panda to its new home!

I should be able crack on with my welding and make some serious progress. I have been hampered by the cold weather and rain up untill now (other sheed developed a nasty leak)

So some pictures of the move and its new home, before you go "lol" or AHHH he is nuts, this is very much a hard core restore and it needs to get worse before it gets better (or so im told!)

_DSC0763.jpg

_DSC0761.jpg

_DSC0760.jpg

(my ugly mug also features in this one!)
_DSC0758.jpg

_DSC0757.jpg

still a bit of work to do then but the alloy looks great(y) should definitely keep it on. must be great to get that far down and just think 'no rusty bits going back on'.

I have about two weekends worth of welding and general body work tidying before I can weld the wings and A sections (new) back on.
My new tools air tools arrived last week making things much easer...now if only I could stretch to a car lift!

I am watching this thread with interest GG, it's strangely reassuring to see another white Mark 1 in bits!!!:D

Btw, your grille is spot on - the metal grille was used on the more basic models, the 5 bar grille was used for the more 'luxurious' models like the 4x4 and Super.

Keep going and please keep the updates coming, I am finding your thread inspiring!!! (y)

Minor update, desired that it would be great if I could wheel the car on to a dolly, jack it up and then move it around as I please up in the air with no wheels.

So I built a dolly for it over the weekend, 10 industrial casters, countless bolts, nuts, wood, steel, welding produced this (forgive the picture quality)

_DSC0764.jpg

I can now rotate it, push it in to the corner, move it outside, higher it, lower it.. you get the picture..

Back