ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).jpg

Panda (Classic) Mk1 Fiat panda 4X4 restore

Introduction

Sam's Fiat Panda mk1 restoration thread

Day 1

Started work today on the panda, my god, what have I done :eek:. As im working on the car I'm keeping a running notepad report/ideas/questions sheet.

Mission today : Rust finding

Rust found on

Front arches
Front sills (passenger side)
Under washer bottle
Scuttle pannle, passenger side
Rear tail gate

Rear tail gate is a write off, and the rest is going to need a lot of welding. Underside checks out with solid jacking points. Rear arches solid but have surface rust. Look better after a blast with the sander.

Removed bonnet 4X10mm bolts
Spare wheel removed with tool kit and jack
Washer bottle 1x 8mm nut
Scuttle panel vents
Bulk head insulation, removed 2 Philips screws removed fuse box (2 wires disconnected my mouse)
1 Orange and 1 white block disconnected from washer bottle
vents removed, 2x2 Philips screws
Wiper removed
Scuttle panel removed

Photos to be sorted out soon, sorry for the some what ott list, its more for my reference as I know what i'm like with bits of paper.

I was happy with everything till I saw the mess under the scuttle panel :eek: Im in this deep however I may as well crack on.

I have two options, find a panda non runner and cut the bits I need out of that, Or get my self a anvil and vise and make up some sheets my self.

All in all, PANIC!!!!
I did have a couple of small fires, nothing I could not calmly blow out however.
Its one thing i'm EXTREAMLY wary of. There is always a hose pipe and CO2 & powder extinguisher to hand.
I have ordered a A section for the passengers front side as well. All being well this weekend will see all the welding finished

hehe, yeah I allways think about the consequences of putting waxoil into the box sections. But got to try to stop them from dissolving some how :rolleyes:

Si

I agonise over putting bare metal inside repaired box sections. Theres always this weldable primer stuff by I dont have much faith in it. You can scrape it off with a finger nail.

Hi ash, nice to see you over in the panda section! :D

Not really, I have all the bits I need to sort out the metal work on the car but the sci has taken over this last week and the priority is to get that off axial stands.

All being well as the sci parts wont be ready till next week ill get to spend the weekend with the welder and the panda :D

Hi ash, nice to see you over in the panda section! :D

Not really, I have all the bits I need to sort out the metal work on the car but the sci has taken over this last week and the priority is to get that off axial stands.

All being well as the sci parts wont be ready till next week ill get to spend the weekend with the welder and the panda :D

il have to give you a hand one of the days :p

so the plan for this is just to take it back to its former glory ?

Ash

Pretty much a nuts and bolts restoration as I don't expect any of them to come of in one peace :D

The plan is get the shell sorted wile gradually cleaning it back to metal. New carpet, new seats, door cards, roof lining (it helps having a mum that can make anything with a sowing machine)
Wile that's getting done ill debate spraying it my self or getting it taken in for a pro job.
Ill do the simple stuff like oils breaks, lines and then get it rolling and take it from there, its a bloody long list!

Some more photos!

Getting there very slowly, the wing is off and the A section is being taken off, Ill admit not the best way to do it but its been painted and filled so many times its hard to tell where the spot welds were!

_DSC0133.jpg

_DSC0130.jpg

_DSC0128.jpg

_DSC0127.jpg

On the plus side the stepped drill bit has made my life 1 millions times easer

I wouldn't be so sure about the fearless!

All I was thinking is, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh i just took a hacksaw to my car!!!! needs must however. No pain no gain

Well its certainly not timid! Iv'e not seen anyone cut so aggressively into the a-pillar before. Its nice to see that as Pandas get older, their owners ambition to fix things goes up in proportion. Plenty of people with other cars jump ship when ownrship gets too much.

I take the attitude at this point, there isn't much loose I have the replacement pannle to make good, I have a welder, I have the odd weekend here and there and a desire to learn.
If i do good, I have a very old panda in very good condition, If I do bad I have a good spares car

Update :S

There has been little movement with this other than me now having a much larger work area to crack on with the project:

_DSC0574.jpg

_DSC0572.jpg

Quite a bit more has been taken of the underside of the car to help with access.
The front has now ready to receive its new wings and I have the metal to start rebuilding the scuttle panel.

The body work would be complete if I could now source a mk1 grill which looks like its imposable!

Mk1 grille is cheap and easy to get...... Used to be a panel shop which closed down...it's now a place called Hadrian I think....will check out and post up...if not I know we spoke about this not that long ago...so try a search on the forum?

Mk1 grille is cheap and easy to get...... Used to be a panel shop which closed down...it's now a place called Hadrian I think....will check out and post up...if not I know we spoke about this not that long ago...so try a search on the forum?

Metal mk1 grille is easy to get, but the plastic mk1 grille which is vetical but very similar to mk2 in style is almost impossible to find! I've been looking since my accident in 2006 and not found once. I have also tried Hadrian auto panels and unfortunately they are unable to help too (although I didn't try giving them a call but I am pretty sure they'll tell me that what's on the site is what they can get!).

Here is their site anyway in case I missed it:
http://hadrian.dominohosting.biz/hadrian/hcpdb01.nsf/MakeList

Sorry to rain on the parade though, but I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I find anything!

All the best with the restoration! I wish I had a workspace as awesome as that :eek:
Si

Has any one got any images that illustrate the difference between them?

I thought there was the 2 types the metal one with a few vertical slits, mostly solid. And the plastic ones that are horizontal

Are there 3 types of grill then, and which one do I need! :D

Back