4x41.JPG

Panda (Classic) LVJ the scrap yard 4x4

Introduction

Ok, for those who don't know this is my latest acquisition.

I didn't really expect to win the ebay auction so I didn't view it first.

This will either be amazing or a lesson in how not to buy a car :eek:

Ebay pics :

4x410.JPG
4x49.JPG
4x48.JPG
4x46.JPG
4x45.JPG
4x42.JPG
4x43.JPG
4x41.JPG

Still trying to work out how to collect it without it being silly money, If I can get a car trailer for a day my brother has offered to help with his isuzu pickup.

Open to other offers though as he notoriously changes his mind if he gets a better offer for his time (like the pub being open :rolleyes:).
It lives!

On the spur of the moment I managed to start the car, drive it off the er, drive and back it on again.

At least the neighbours won't have to look at the sad bumperless arse of it anymore.

The passenger side rear wheel dug a furrow in the gravel so suppose that needs some attention now.

Clutch is well bitey high up, really grabbing is that knackered too?

Freebo (aka yet another John!!! surely it's the forums most popular name?) came over yesterday for a bit of a fettle with the blue lump of fiat branded rust and misery which is my 4x4.

Some pics of the marvelous under seat non-sub woofer:
IMG_08152.JPG
IMG_08162.JPG

Hay every where still! :

IMG_08171.JPG
IMG_08184.JPG
IMG_08193.JPG

Seats out :

Through the heel hole:

IMG_08212.JPG
IMG_08202.JPG
IMG_08233.JPG
IMG_08243.JPG
IMG_08223.JPG

Plastic trims off and I think these are replacement doors somehow:

IMG_08255.JPG

The bulkhead foam under the pedals is very wet (not suprising once I found what was under (or rather what was not there ) the wheel arch liners :

*picture absent due to camera man being too depressed to photo any more frilly rust holes in the car.

Hmmm I haven't taken any pictures of the welding by the seat runners or the bare interior. She's full of bits that have been taken off now so that will have to wait until I recover enough energy to have another go with the grinder :devil:

John spent his time with his head stuck under the bonnet cleaning up the plug holes which were full of water - (can't think how that happened....), changing the sparkplugs and leads for the one's off the spare engine.

After a bit of puzzling over the vacuum advance hose which was just flapping in the breeze LVJ's engine is once again running sweet (y) :D

So Vacuum advance hose and inline fuel filter (to replace the dodgy looking one on it) need adding to the parts list.

There was what I can only describe as oily silt packed around the plugs which had to be removed to stop any falling in the engine when the plugs were removed.

The plugs themselves were sooted up quite badly and I'm sure couldn't have been working too well. Looks like they hadn't been changed in a long while. Also noticed one of the manifold pipes is touching the bottom of the engine causing it to vibrate when accelerating. Apart from that and a couple of of perished pipes it seem to run nicely :)

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1396186610.775007.jpg
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1396186626.760619.jpg
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1396186654.994108.jpg
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1396186637.342597.jpg
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1396186710.382212.jpg
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1396186729.650553.jpg

Oh yea and it appears the doors were on a silver :)
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1396186748.385658.jpg

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Right here is the fabled list of things to do to LVJ as identified last week:

Engine bay:

All consumables/service items (hasn't run since it's cleaning with the power hose)

Cambelt

Alternator belt

bulkhead sound deadening material
rocker gasket cover

plugs and leads

oil and filter change

fan switch

Rest of vehicle

Sump guard

CV boot (inner drivers)

Gear box oil (20/50)
Diff oil
transmission oil

Front LHS wheel bearing

rear bumper and new brackets (pair)

Welding

inside boot floor

boot seams

plate on floor

Drivers side front cill holes to plate

central crossmember seams

propshaft seam

LHS rear chassis leg

rear behind bumper.

Pretty sure I've missed something major.

never mind it can't get much worse before it gets better :eek:

Sump guard was on shopping list above

LVJ does have a very bent sump guard fitted, thanks Andy (y)

To be honest a tatty sump guard is the least of it's problems :(

I'll be having a word with the more "local" members about his resto as I can't really have him on the drive anymore as the house will be up for sale soon.
Apart from that one of my next door neighbours is terminally ill and I'm not comfortable making a lot of noise grinding the rusty bits off, just doesn't seem right especially as they have been so kind to us since we moved here.
I've taken to quiet activities like washing and polishing the other two (though I did park cinqy round the corner when my sister visited) and generally faffing about the two red ones - "the twins" I call them!
I'm trying my best to watch the "effin' & jeffin'" too.

Last edited:
Just a little bit of news, I have found a pair of doors that are better than the ones on LVJ at least - they are the ones from BEX thanks to dragonman (y)

These will keep it together until it's original ones are repaired then will go on to help another Panda :)
I may also be using the BEX seats (subject to a sisley owner needing them) too as the passenger seat is broken and the rear seats completely missing.

Hopefully LVJ will be away to the menders soon although my move to Calderdale is delayed a bit as the interstore transfer will take 4-6 weeks, plus the bloody accountants and solicitors are playing silly buggers or taking holidays: it's ok it's just my life you're messing about with you bastards :mad:

Phew! feel better for saying that.

I'm really looking forward to going off roading around Halifax (the place not the bank-they don't let cars in the bank) as it's challenging enough driving on the roads - those of you who watched the bike race will have seen a taste of what it's like :)

Jon,
If any of the front seat bottom upholstery is still in one piece - put me on the awaiting list.
i can swap the fabric for you if you want the frame and LVJ upholstery back on it.

Back