4x41.JPG

Panda (Classic) LVJ the scrap yard 4x4

Introduction

Ok, for those who don't know this is my latest acquisition.

I didn't really expect to win the ebay auction so I didn't view it first.

This will either be amazing or a lesson in how not to buy a car :eek:

Ebay pics :

4x410.JPG
4x49.JPG
4x48.JPG
4x46.JPG
4x45.JPG
4x42.JPG
4x43.JPG
4x41.JPG

Still trying to work out how to collect it without it being silly money, If I can get a car trailer for a day my brother has offered to help with his isuzu pickup.

Open to other offers though as he notoriously changes his mind if he gets a better offer for his time (like the pub being open :rolleyes:).
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Unless you want to set the bar at new level, as mk2's are easier to get for silly money. But are they still that bulett proof as original FIRE engines?

Well the ethics of killing a 17 year old car is something that won't keep me awake at night, I doubt that particular example would be a future concors winner at MITCAR anyway.
It probably only has a few years before its deemed uneconomic to repair, mind you if you wanted to do the worlds first Panda to Punto engine swap I could let you have a few bits!

I'll keep looking if it goes above what I'd like to pay for a donor though.

Mind you if it were used as a winter hack it won't be so nice.....

Last edited:
Well the ethics of killing a 17 year old car is something that won't keep me awake at night, I doubt that particular example would be a future concors winner at MITCAR anyway.
It probably only has a few years before its deemed uneconomic to repair, mind you if you wanted to do the worlds first Panda to Punto engine swap I could let you have a few bits!

I'll keep looking if it goes above what I'd like to pay for a donor though.

Mind you if it were used as a winter hack it won't be so nice.....

Your Pandas were once worthless 17 year old bangers... :p

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Why 16V?

There's a Punto 75 in Norwich I could strip the bits out and sell the shell to someone with a rusty GT as it's teal green. The 8V is a straight swap and will give your 4x4 torque; the 16V is more of a faff and is gutless unless you rev' the crap out of it. Not a lot of use in 4x4 situations unless you want to wheel spin axle deep.

Last edited:
Lessons from FrankenFiat (Project Peterborough) The Punto 60 1242 is lighter because the block walls are thinner, the Punto 75 1242 will fit but weighs more and the exhaust will almost hit the radiator. A Punto 75 cam' in a 1242 60 block will do the same job as the 75 but the cam' can not run a mechanical fuel pump. So if you want to swap to efi you'll need a crank sensor 1242 with a 75 cam' and some extra holes in the bulkhead for the ecu and diagnostic stuff to go on the passenger side above the foot well.

Going from 52-55bhp Panda 999 4x4 to a Punto 60 or 60s doesn't sound like much of an upgrade but going from 68Nm to 89Nm (Punto 60, 1242cc) is.

If you can re-jet your standard Weber carb' with ones from a VW Golf/Polo 1.3 you'll be laughing and the car will be as reliable as it is now. No loom slashing or other faffing just a tick pump on the bulkhead behind the spare wheel wired to your coil live or separate switch (so you can tell your insurance it has an immobiliser).

I was worried about crank sensors getting wet and scraping the cat'. That's why I took the carb' route for my 4x4 I still have the TDM carb's and manifold somewhere. ;)

Why 16V?

There's a Punto 75 in Norwich I could strip the bits out and sell the shell to someone with a rusty GT as it's teal green. The 8V is a straight swap and will give your 4x4 torque; the 16V is more of a faff and is gutless unless you rev' the crap out of it. Not a lot of use in 4x4 situations unless you want to wheel spin axle deep.

Aren't Punto 75s getting really rare now?

Back