I need a job!!

Currently reading:
I need a job!!

I'm looking for admin or retail.

XxXx

If you can avoid retail just now then do, I'm working part time in retail - which has funded my way through the fours yrs ive done at uni, but now, the presure is really on. I can deal with it because I've worked in that environment since I was 16, but there are newbies coming in and cracking almost immediately... it's not to say dont give it a bash. 99% of companies are also doing "probationary" times - even for experienced staff - so if you dont pull in the figures, then you're oot (n)

Jug - thanks for your reply :) I've been applying for jobs which arent necessarily for graduates and also a wage bracket 16k +. I'm applying for jobs that i might be lucky with, but not anything which I know I would get before someone with a first (im a 2:1), but it's just on the off chance.

Plus, with the job situation being horrendous at the mo, I'm applying to anything which my degree has a relevance to, even if it's not an area I'm interested in. I think i'm on the right lines, but the rejection letters are really dragging me down :(

If you can avoid retail just now then do, I'm working part time in retail - which has funded my way through the fours yrs ive done at uni, but now, the presure is really on. I can deal with it because I've worked in that environment since I was 16, but there are newbies coming in and cracking almost immediately... it's not to say dont give it a bash. 99% of companies are also doing "probationary" times - even for experienced staff - so if you dont pull in the figures, then you're oot (n)

Jug - thanks for your reply :) I've been applying for jobs which arent necessarily for graduates and also a wage bracket 16k +. I'm applying for jobs that i might be lucky with, but not anything which I know I would get before someone with a first (im a 2:1), but it's just on the off chance.

Plus, with the job situation being horrendous at the mo, I'm applying to anything which my degree has a relevance to, even if it's not an area I'm interested in. I think i'm on the right lines, but the rejection letters are really dragging me down :(

Aye I know how it feel's good luck!. I was out of work for 5months in 2006 and had to sell my almost fully paid up 06 plate Grande Punto Sporting to pay bills :bang:. I was out of work nov last year too but only took me 2 weeks to get a new job thankgod :eek: :)

Look for an admin job with your local council or social services. There may be career paths there. Many of the kids doing admin in these places have good degrees.

As far as getting the job you want: forget it. Get any job, do well at it, and use it as a springboard to something better. You are young and have time.

As a graduate you have enthusiasm but no practical experience or proof of assuming responsibility, this comes with time, and don't forget, practically everybody is a graduate these days so the title means less than it once did to employers.

What you must do is keep working. No employer will take well to an applicant who has sat around doing nothing waiting for the right job to come along.

There are a thousand media graduates these days and only huge determination, good luck, and possibly connections, will get you a job easily. Nepotism is still rife in the media, sadly.

Last edited:
Look for an admin job with your local council or social services. There may be career paths there. Many of the kids doing admin in these places have good degrees.

As far as getting the job you want: forget it. Get any job, do well at it, and use it as a springboard to something better. You are young and have time.

As a graduate you have enthusiasm but no practical experience or proof of assuming responsibility, this comes with time, and don't forget, practically everybody is a graduate these days so the title means less than it once did to employers.

What you must do is keep working. No employer will take well to an applicant who has sat around doing nothing waiting for the right job to come along.

There are a thousand media graduates these days and only huge determination, good luck, and possibly connections, will get you a job easily. Nepotism is still rife in the media, sadly.

Very true words! I won't be out of work - although staying with my part time employer isn't really an option, I'll be taking any sort of full time job I can get in order to progress and just get some experience in a different role.... so it's not all bad (y)

Good luck to you. You'll get something, and then something better. Just do your best and who knows who will notice (y)

they have finally organised to send me on a course to drive on of these
Counterbalance_Diesel_Engine_Forklift_Truck.jpg

I used to do counterbalance years ago in the freight forwarding business, using a variety of trucks, they are a hoot to drive, I used to love it, I thought about going on and learning how to service and fix them, but never did, sadly.

Would imagine there is lots of H&S issues now, especially getting the certificate

Back