Technical Gear selection problem

Currently reading:
Technical Gear selection problem

Difficult one to be sure as I never touch that bolt

Is suspect it’s going to be similar to this

Where after dropping the shaft it got out of sync.

We really need @multipete to chime in but they have been active lately
Yeah multipete sounds like he nose the issue thanks pal I’ll just have to hope he replies I can’t get to a garage till Monday to ask

Yeah can use 1st 2nd 3rd an 4th went out earlier to shop in it just no reverse or 5th it just won’t go passed 4th it’s like something stops it

Yeah can use 1st 2nd 3rd an 4th went out earlier to shop in it just no reverse or 5th it just won’t go passed 4th it’s like something stops it
No problem if you got gears,easy fix!! Bit harder if stuck in gear but still fixable. Has the cable attached to this plate got an adjuster that you push,or has it a lock nut and threaded ball joint? It’s only out of adjustment. At the gear box end!

Last edited:
No problem if you got gears,easy fix!! Bit harder if stuck in gear but still fixable. Has the cable attached to this plate got an adjuster that you push,or lock nut and threaded ball joint? It’s only out of adjustment. At the gear box end!
There is an adjustment on pre 2012 cars at the gear leaver end. An orange or red button

Only on the left to right cable

It’s got a ball joint with a thread I’ve tried adjusting both sides but I’m willing to listen because I’ve probably done it wrong I did undo the lever though an the shaft went in but I pulled it back out an made sure the square went back into the slot in the lever an tightened it back up

There is an adjustment on pre 2012 cars at the gear leaver end. An orange or red button

Only on the left to right cable
Has it got anything to do with me taking the gear selector lever off

Attachments

• F16DBAB4-6243-4A9F-A5CE-7A952F2184DA.jpeg
    F16DBAB4-6243-4A9F-A5CE-7A952F2184DA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
It’s got a ball joint with a thread I’ve tried adjusting both sides but I’m willing to listen because I’ve probably done it wrong I did undo the lever though an the shaft went in but I pulled it back out an made sure the square went back into the slot in the lever an tightened it back up
Put it into 3rd gear,put a 12mm or 13mm open ended spanner,and pop the ball off the plate,(gearbox end) and adjust the ball joint longer/shorter so the gear lever moves closer to first position. One way makes it better,one makes it worse. Can’t remember which way to adjust it!
Has it got anything to do with me taking the gear selector lever off
no,it’s adjustment issue,as you have gears,if there was an issue,it would be stuck in a gear,and you couldn’t drive car as two gears engaged at once would Lock the gear box making it impossible to move/drive. I take it you’ve put new cables on?

I’ll try that tomorrow an yeah new cables as it was starting to get stiff when changing gear

Adjusted it still no reverse or 5th adjusted both ways now in your thread before you said about when the shaft goes in takes 35/40 mins to sort has that got anything to do with it sorry to badger you pal can’t find anyone to help on a weekend

Attachments

• 69849033060__78CC922A-A1D9-401C-808A-16B7B770E1E0.MOV
    1.6 MB
  • 730540A1-75CA-40EA-AB1D-58E31FD8870B.png
    730540A1-75CA-40EA-AB1D-58E31FD8870B.png
    376.2 KB · Views: 15
@multipete

I only had experience of the cable adjustment with the Very early Pandas,
Couldnt get reverse once warm..a common issue.

So... the Rod dropping down has no effect as long as it returns?
( @Herts Hillhopper may know more )

OP.
Are you 100% sure youve not made an error with the cables..??
One is slightly longer than the other so can’t really put them backwards plus different size ends to fit on the ball bit how do you mean error like wrong cables ?

Adjusted it still no reverse or 5th adjusted both ways now in your thread before you said about when the shaft goes in takes 35/40 mins to sort has that got anything to do with it sorry to badger you pal can’t find anyone to help on a weekend
The fix was if it was stuck in gear, yours isn’t stuck in gear. Remove the left/right movement cable,and check your gears by manual moving the left/right lever.

The fix was if it was stuck in gear, yours isn’t stuck in gear. Remove the left/right movement cable,and check your gears by manual moving the left/right lever.
What do I do get someone to change gears from inside while I move side to side I don’t no how to find reverse on the gearbox from the engine it was only me to be a simple gear cable change

Left to right adjustment was possible at the gear knob end in early pandas

The left to right cable has a button. You press the button and move the lever and it locks again when you release it

Cables only go on one way

I suspect that the large lever on top of the gearbox isn’t properly lined up with the little lever

It would require cleaning and sealing with RTV so am reluctant to suggest this until all other option are exhausted

Ok I wonder if it has dropped down and then turned and is no longer engaged properly inside the gearbox …. Someone said that might of happened?

Back