Technical Gear selection problem

Currently reading:
Technical Gear selection problem

Not sure where we are going with this thread

When the clutch was change the balls were left on the gearbox

Why are we removing them now

Or am I reading the posts on page one incorrectly? Which I normally am

What the OP was messing about with the gear shift mechanism is anyone's guess. The shifter cables pop off the ball joints with a pry bar. No need to touch any of the levers on the gearbox. You simply make sure the 'box and shifter are in neutral before re-connecting cable end ball joints.

You "can" connect the cables with the gear lever in 1st and the box in 5th - there are other wrong combinations ;) That will prevent you from selecting all of the gears.

You "can" connect the cables with the gear lever in 1st and the box in 5th - there are other wrong combinations ;) That will prevent you from selecting all of the gears.

Not sure I understand this. They are only two levers connected by cables and the ball and sockets are different sized

Makes no difference where they are the gear lever has to follow ?

Only if the selector lever plate had been taken off can things get out of sync.

Or that my understanding.

When you disconnect the ball sockets,the gear leaver is free to do what it wants,doesn’t matter what gear the gear box is in,when you reconnect the sockets it will align the gear lever to the correct position!

When you disconnect the ball sockets,the gear leaver is free to do what it wants,doesn’t matter what gear the gear box is in,when you reconnect the sockets it will align the gear lever to the correct position!

Agreed

I have a gearbox I have rebuilt in the garage. I can widely move the levers and they never get out of sync. The little lever is spring loaded to the centre anyhow. The big lever can be left, middle, or right. Again makes no difference just means the lever in the car will move to 1st neutral or 2nd to match

Did take me awhile to find all 6 gears when testing if I had put it back together correctly. I thought 5th was opposite reverse which it isn't. Had to go into the car and look at the gear knob

You need to get rid of the side to side movement. Did you remove the linkage from the ball and socket,or did you undo the 13mm nut and remove the plate?
Hello I’m having issues now I removed the nut an took the plate off now I’ve put new cables on an I can’t get 5th or reverse please help

I read it as..
They popped both ball joints..and disturbed the coverplate

On reassembly they..

'Overtightened' a feature on the coverplate..

But they have now reset this ..and have all gears selectable :)
Hello I’m having issues now I removed the nut an took the plate off now I’ve put new cables on an I can’t get 5th or reverse please help

When you remove the top 13mm nut ,you will see the square shape. The square of the shaft has to fit throu this. Take care,do Not let the shaft drop into the gear box,it’s not the end of the world,but about 30/45mins to cure! Hold the shaft up using a screw driver from the side to push against the shaft!
Mine dropped in is that what’s caused my problem

Agreed

I have a gearbox I have rebuilt in the garage. I can widely move the levers and they never get out of sync. The little lever is spring loaded to the centre anyhow. The big lever can be left, middle, or right. Again makes no difference just means the lever in the car will move to 1st neutral or 2nd to match

Did take me awhile to find all 6 gears when testing if I had put it back together correctly. I thought 5th was opposite reverse which it isn't. Had to go into the car and look at the gear knob
Hello pal now I changed the gear cables on my panda now I couldn’t get one off so I took the bolt off that holds the plate an that dropped in now I pulled it back out but I don’t have 5th an reverse what have I done wrong thanks

Not sure I understand this. They are only two levers connected by cables and the ball and sockets are different sized

Makes no difference where they are the gear lever has to follow ?

Only if the selector lever plate had been taken off can things get out of sync.

Or that my understanding.
I’ve took the selector lever plate off an now I can’t get 5th or reverse how do I fix it thanks

Are we talking about the little bracket the cables slot into or the big plate on top of the gearbox
That thing my sockets on

Attachments

• CAED37A1-320A-4AFC-B61B-EAC199DC9996.jpeg
    CAED37A1-320A-4AFC-B61B-EAC199DC9996.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
Difficult one to be sure as I never touch that bolt

Is suspect it’s going to be similar to this

Where after dropping the shaft it got out of sync.

We really need @multipete to chime in but they have been active lately

Back