Gas vehicles

Currently reading:
Gas vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this interesting, thought it worth a share

Wood gas cars were not the only answer to the limited supply of gasoline in World War One and Two. An even more cumbersome alternative came in the form of the gas bag vehicle. The old-timers in these pictures are not moving furniture or an oversized load. What can be seen on the roof is the fuel tank of the vehicle – a balloon filled with uncompressed gas.

Gas bag vehicles were built during World War One and (especially) World War Two in France, the Netherlands, Germany and England as an improvised solution to the shortage of gasoline. Apart from automobiles, buses and trucks were also equipped with the technology. The vehicles consumed ‘town gas’ or ‘street gas’, a by-product of the process of turning coal into cokes (which are used to make iron).
Fuel and the associated problems of supply, demand and escalating costs remains a painful issue for motorists today, but spare a thought for car drivers of the Great War. In July 1916, petrol was rationed and a tax on fuel was introduced which doubled the cost of petrol by 6d. to a shilling a gallon. In some ways, this increase in the cost of fuel made little difference to car owners who simply found they could not buy petrol, even if they could afford to.
Petrol was strictly limited to the war’s ‘key workers’ and ‘tickets’ were issued allowing small amounts for ordinary motorists who began to cast about for alternatives. Many engineering manufacturers advertised gadgets to improve fuel efficiency such as one company that claimed, “Every motorist can reduce the petrol bill by fitting the Zenith patent carburetor.”

Other car owners opted for more enterprising ways to eke out their petrol allowance and experimented with some rather alarming potions. The Illustrated London News’ motoring columnist reported on the results of mixing two thirds petrol with one third paraffin, and wrote of some more imaginative liquids making their way into car engines; “The internal combustion engine is agreeable to work in an emergency on gin, whisky, methylated spirits, paraffin, and other vaporising oils

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I bet the owner of car in pic 3 was passed off when he found it wouldn't fit in his garage!

I remember seeing these pictures in books when I was a kid as I was a bit obcessed with the 2WW that said I also had grand parents who wouldn’t stop talking about it.

Would you get insurance for a GasBag on the roof though.. ??

To be fair back then your car blowing up was the least of your worries. Your house could get blown up your job, most thing during the 2nd WW where at high risk of blowing up one way or another

My Uncle ran his James motorbike (Villiers engine) on TVO which is a poor quality paraffin. He put petrol in the carb float bowl to get it started then before it ran dry opened the fuel tap and ran it on TVO.

It had a one piece cast iron cylinder and head. He decoked it every weekend with a bucket of caustic soda. One of his mates tried the same method but had to walk because the caustic dissolved his aluminium cylinder

Last edited:
My Uncle ran his James motorbike (Villiers engine) on TVO which is a poor quality paraffin. He put petrol in the carb float bowl to get it started then before it ran dry opened the fuel tap and ran it on TVO.

Topgear had a piece the other day about the end of the Bentley 7.25 V8 engine that has apparently been around since the 50s, the engine was designed back then to be able to cope with big increases in power without needed a redesign because back then they designed it to last and expected the power of cars to increase over the years, this is why it lasted 70 years without massive changes to the block. Anyway one thing mentioned in the article was
that they made it so strong by the end it was capable of 600hp versus the 180 it had back in the 50s they also mentioned that some where in the past (and bare in mind it’s an aluminium engine) they blocked off the spark plug holes and where able to successfully run it on diesel.

Does anyone else make all alloy diesels? The material is up to the job, but I guess the higher costs are not worth the benefit.

There is a mostly alloy diesel engine in production for light aircraft
Cool

The new GM 3.0 Duramax diesel is all alloy
https://www.enginetechnologyinterna...3-liter-duramax-turbo-diesel.html#prettyPhoto

Rover attempted to convert their 3.5 V8 to diesel but financial and technical issue killed it.
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/m8v46q8/

The 1979 energy crisis affected the sales of V8 petrol cars around the globe. British Leyland and Perkins started to develop naturally aspirated and turbo diesel versions of the Rover V8. This was the start of Project Iceberg. The N/A engine managed to produce 100 bhp and the TDV8 produced 150 bhp, but the two engines had cooling issues and the cylinder heads failed. The engines were meant to be fitted to the Range Rover, Rover SD1 and the Jaguar XJ, but the development was never finished due to British Leyland’s financial issues.

There are now quite a few certified light aircraft diesel engines , common rail direct injection types and mechanical injection types.

A division of continental is heavily involved
As well as other manufactures.

Last edited:
There are now quite a few certified light aircraft diesel engines , common rail direct injection types and mechanical injection types.

A division of continental is heavily involved
As well as other manufactures.

But they are (Rudolph) Diesel engines in that they run on compression ignition but they don’t tend to run on diesel.

They are however incredibly reliable and efficient compared to an 8.9 litre lycoming 0-540 found in many 4 seat GA aircraft which is reliable but definitely not efficient.

Jet A and diesel fuel are very similar.
Jet A has about 5% less chemical energy and lower lubricity the diesel fuel.
Aircraft diesel engines require lubricity enhancers to be added to jet A to protect the diesel injection components from premature wear.

Plus Jet A will be at a gaurenteed level of cleanliness required for flight.

Last edited:
Jet A and diesel fuel are very similar.
Jet A has about 5% less chemical energy and lower lubricity the diesel fuel.
Aircraft diesel engines require lubricity enhancers to be added to jet A to protect the diesel injection components from premature wear.

Plus Jet A will be at a gaurenteed level of cleanliness required for flight.

Why are you talking about Jet-A they don’t sell it outside of the USA. And you’re not going to be filling up your little Cessna at a Jet-A pump and it’s not automotive diesel which was the point

Last edited:
Why are you talking about Jet-A ? That has nothing to do with this, the clue is in the name Jet-A is for jet engines. They also don’t sell it outside of the USA.
Am I prohibited from mentioning jet fuel?

I am sorry for not calling it Jet A1

Am I prohibited from mentioning jet fuel?

I am sorry for not calling it Jet A1

Just feels like you have an incessant need to have to add information that isn’t really the case in point rather than having a conversation about something. Dave asked about alloy diesels, I make a point about them not running on diesel and now you start going on about the differences in fuels that we weren’t talking about then get arsey that I called you on Jet A verses Jet A1 which in the aviation world is a pretty big deal.

Just feels like you have an incessant need to have to add information that isn’t really the case in point rather than having a conversation about something. Dave asked about alloy diesels, I make a point about them not running on diesel and now you start going on about the differences in fuels that we weren’t talking about then get arsey that I called you on Jet A verses Jet A1 which in the aviation world is a pretty big deal.
I am sorry to hear you feel that way Andy.

You brought up aviation diesel engines being run on kerosene.
Jet fuel is very very similar to kerosene.
Jet fuel is approved for use in aviation and has tightly controlled production and handling checks so is likely to be a good choice for use in a diesel engines.

Getting arsey , where did you get that from? Puzzled
:)

Jack

Last edited:
Why can't we just agree that jet fuel/kerosene and diesel are all very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back