Flooring advice?

Currently reading:
Flooring advice?

Can anyone recommend an adhesive that will stick vinyl to vinyl?

I have moved into a new build house and the kitchen and downstair loo have some heavy duty vinyl floor covering on a concrete floor. Its hideous. Reminds me of the stuff they had on the floors of holding cells in the prison I used to work at. Extremely hardwearing but this is my home not a prison!

I was hoping I could just lay some self adhesive floor tiles over the top of it. I have done this in previous properties over existing vinyl floor tiles and they are great, but its not working on this floor because its got a rough texture and silver speckles that catch the light. The floor is level but the vinyl is not smooth.

So my new self adhesive tiles are not staying put.

Is there an adhesive that I can spread on the existing floor that will hold the tiles in place?

I know the best answer is to rip the whole lot up and start again but I cant really afford to waste what I have spent on the self adhesive tiles and buy new ones.

Its also going to be a major task getting the existing stuff up, its stuck down really well.

Any advice would be most welcome :)

yes but i don't know what glue he used it didn't smell like solvent based, he said if he took the old one up it would take up some of the self levelling latex he had put down before the first one. He also said wait as long as possible before walking on it.

my prison floor
DSCF1345.JPG
at least i wont slip over any more though :)

I believe any contact adhesive (polychloroprene-based) should do. I would be sceptical about using waterborne suspensions in combination with self-adhesive tiles.
Maybe it would help to degrease the existing tiles?

Yes there are cheaper options out there but most of this type of flooring these days do not come cheap. It is so simple to install and looks really good if done properly.

Back