General External Black Plastics

Currently reading:
General External Black Plastics

hodgy18

Established member
Morning All

Anybody got any tips or any product recommendations to get the external black plastics looking good again?

Morning All

Anybody got any tips or any product recommendations to get the external black plastics looking good again?

There are a plethora of products out there, some that command quite a price.I have a gel type from Autoglym bumper care, had it for years. I’ve actually used it inside some cars I’ve owned with good results. Back in the day I’ve used black boot polish :D Now you can get the spray on and wipe stuff that doesn’t affect your paintwork, it’s possibly the easiest to use. No doubt some will be along and add their favourite potion. :)

I've used quite a few different brands for tyre and plastics over the years to retain good condition parts, but the panda having had no plastic treatment has faded over time.

I did see on youtube an american company using a black dye product, which looked to have worked well. I just cant seem to find an alternative UK product.
There are a plethora of products out there, some that command quite a price.I have a gel type from Autoglym bumper care, had it for years. I’ve actually used it inside some cars I’ve owned with good results. Back in the day I’ve used black boot polish :D Now you can get the spray on and wipe stuff that doesn’t affect your paintwork, it’s possibly the easiest to use. No doubt some will be along and add their favourite potion. :)

gtechniq c4 is a ceramic coating

it is suppose to last a year

never tried it myself as I just let the trim age naturally :)

reviews are a difficult one as almost anything works short term including an oily rag

I second Autoglym gel too. Before and after pictures using Autoglym below. The bumpers hadn’t had any cleaning (other than shampoo and water) since I previously sold the car back in 2007.

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2392.JPG

There are 2 ways to do this - little and often or Big and infrequent.

For both, the first point is the same, make sure that the plastic is as clean as it can be. That means using a good APC and one of those magic eraser sponges and a brush for the edges to get them as clean as possible.

If the plastic is the right colour but you just want to protect it for the short(ish) term, then the usual suspects like the Autoglym Vinyl and Bumper Gel etc are decent. My favourite out of this type of product is the Koch Chemie Nano Magic Plastic Care. It is very durable compared to the ususal suspects, is nice to use and, if applied evenly and to clean plastic, doesn't create those runs.

For a more long term protection, a high solids coating suitable for plastic is the best option. GTechnic C4 is very popular and there is often a sale of it on Amazon for around £18 for 30ml which is very cheap. (C4, C5 and C1 are all the same product so you can use it on the rest of your car as well if you want!)

If you need to recolour the plastic, then Solution Finish is a popular choice, but isn't all that. A cheaper option is Owatrol Polytrol which is very good. When dry using the Koch Chemie periodically is a good balance.

ScottHD on YouTube has 2 different video series of long term trim products being tested which are worth a look.

Would love to know if there is a product that works really well, because my experience is that many of these products don’t last very long. I suspect you could use olive oil and it would last just as long as some.

I presume it’s down to the oils in the plastic evaporating in the sun. Probably only long term solution is to have them painted.

I have found Lindseed oil works very well. I have also used danish oil that is usually used to seal wooden worktops. Clean the plastics and then wipe over with a clean cloth.

Your welcome.

Boiled linseed oil gels (polymerises) quite quickly so you are effectively varnishing your car. But hey if its working then why not. The same stuff thinned with white spirit is great for protecting rusty metal. It soaks well into the surface. Chain saw "bar oil" is similarly good for that job and may well work on black plastics.

Back