Technical ESC & Stop & Start System Fault

Currently reading:
Technical ESC & Stop & Start System Fault

bj7115

I have a 2017 Lounge 1.2ltr Fiat 500 model year 2016 that throws up intermittent ESC and Stop & Start, and Hill Holder warning lights.

The faults occurred two weeks ago and again today.

Today I started the car to warm it up and defrost before travelling and all was well, however having switched of the ignition and then started the car to move off I had a number of warning lights come on, they were ESC System, Stop Start deactivated and Hill Holder deactivated plus a Generic Failure Notification.

The same warning lights came on two weeks ago but after driving for approximately 30/40 minutes and switching the engine on and off the warning lights gradually went off, the same occurred today, the ESC light went out then a few minutes later having stopped and turned the engine on and off the Stop Start system light went out and the Stop Start system was again fully functional.

When the problem first occurred fault codes P1220 and C1221 were found and then deleted, but by the time they were read the car was fully functional with no warning lights, I have not been able to check the fault codes today but will do next week to see what appears.

My question is therefore, has anyone had this type of intermittent but recurring problem?

Could this be down to battery charge/voltage or a system/control module problem.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Bruce

I have a 2017 Lounge 1.2ltr Fiat 500 model year 2016 that throws up intermittent ESC and Stop & Start, and Hill Holder warning lights.

The faults occurred two weeks ago and again today.

Today I started the car to warm it up and defrost before travelling and all was well, however having switched of the ignition and then started the car to move off I had a number of warning lights come on, they were ESC System, Stop Start deactivated and Hill Holder deactivated plus a Generic Failure Notification.

The same warning lights came on two weeks ago but after driving for approximately 30/40 minutes and switching the engine on and off the warning lights gradually went off, the same occurred today, the ESC light went out then a few minutes later having stopped and turned the engine on and off the Stop Start system light went out and the Stop Start system was again fully functional.

When the problem first occurred fault codes P1220 and C1221 were found and then deleted, but by the time they were read the car was fully functional with no warning lights, I have not been able to check the fault codes today but will do next week to see what appears.

My question is therefore, has anyone had this type of intermittent but recurring problem?

Could this be down to battery charge/voltage or a system/control module problem.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Bruce
Hi Bruce
A lot of codes such as c1221 are triggered if the ecu detects a low voltage situation (even if it just for a moment!).​
Id start by fully charging the battery off the car overnight!.​
Also clean the terminals and connectors before re-fitting, i have also found that the wiring ring clamps for the battery terminal can "close up" so they are not fully secure even with the nuts tightened right up!, its worth slackening the nuts right off "spreading" the clamps with a screwdriver and when replacing push the clamps firmly down over the battery terminals(I use a 14mm socket!) and hold down whilst tightening up the 10mm securing nuts!​
If the faults reappear check the battery voltage after the cars been standing (without the engine running!) for a few hours it should really be 12.6 volts or above! if not it might be time to consider changing the battery!(especially if it more than two or three years old!.​
As for code p 1220 its related to the throttle system but unfortunately not totally specific so could really be anything from the pedal sensor, through the ecu and wiring to the throttle body you need someone with the proper diagnostics to check the recorded values to pin it down! good luck sorting it!.​
best regards​
Steve​

Steve
Many thanks for your response it is appreciated.
I will get the battery charged and checked for voltage and get the fault codes read in more depth at Fiat main dealer.

Bruce

Steve
Many thanks for your response it is appreciated.
I will get the battery charged and checked for voltage and get the fault codes read in more depth at Fiat main dealer.

Bruce
No worrys mate !welcome to the "headache" club!
The two worst areas to give you sleepless night with the 500 are-
Electrics-loads of Phantom issues and the worst stop/start system ever made!, it seems to work totally at random and even then only 20% of the time! most people just turn it off!.

Cooling system!
Id recommend changing the coolant ever two years using a good quality O.A.T fluid ! much more frequently than the manual suggests at least anyway ! coolant is cheep(ish) and head gaskets are expensive! at the first change you do id recommend getting the thermostat housing changed as well! they have a "PLASTIC" connector pipe on the small connector which is renowned for snapping off causing a total loss of coolant and risk of blowing the head gasket! aftermarket ones can be purchased that have an upgraded METAL pipe which cures the issue totally only cost about £30 quid online!.

I also do a engine oil and filter change every 32k miles(useing5/40 semi-synthetic oil!) the fiat interval of 9k miles is WAY to long in these small engines that are usually worked hard! stay safe
Steve

No worrys mate !welcome to the "headache" club!
The two worst areas to give you sleepless night with the 500 are-
Electrics-loads of Phantom issues and the worst stop/start system ever made!, it seems to work totally at random and even then only 20% of the time! most people just turn it off!.

Cooling system!
Id recommend changing the coolant ever two years using a good quality O.A.T fluid ! much more frequently than the manual suggests at least anyway ! coolant is cheep(ish) and head gaskets are expensive! at the first change you do id recommend getting the thermostat housing changed as well! they have a "PLASTIC" connector pipe on the small connector which is renowned for snapping off causing a total loss of coolant and risk of blowing the head gasket! aftermarket ones can be purchased that have an upgraded METAL pipe which cures the issue totally only cost about £30 quid online!.

I also do a engine oil and filter change every 32k miles(useing5/40 semi-synthetic oil!) the fiat interval of 9k miles is WAY to long in these small engines that are usually worked hard! stay safe
Steve
SORRY MIS-TYPED should have been 3k miles NOT 32k DOH!

Back