Technical Stop/Start Batteryl

Currently reading:
Technical Stop/Start Batteryl

IvyAmy

Hi all, can anyone tell me why my stop start battery, does not stop start. Thank you

Lots of possibilities, age of battery, type of battery, style of driving a big factor, sensor wires are known to break.
If you intentionally stall the car does it restart?
I’d add to that, stop/start short journeys…the one thing it’s designed to do, stop n start in city driving DOESNT allow battery to get enough charge

There are a whole host of reasons.
Some as mentioned above the battery itself may be weak and old and not able to hold enough charge. There is monitor on the battery that decides if the battery is healthy enough for stop start to work. So if the battery is old then it can stop working.

There are other reasons such as running the heating on full will prevent stop start. any other electronic problems with any of the various systems in the car can mean stop start turns off. So your rather open ended question does not have one specific answer.

One point worth noting is you need a "special" battery on stop start cars, one that is designed for stop start to work. Without it your battery might initially work but will quickly become faulty and unable to hold enough power for stop start to work. But may otherwise seem to work fine as a normal car battery.

There are a whole host of reasons.
Some as mentioned above the battery itself may be weak and old and not able to hold enough charge. There is monitor on the battery that decides if the battery is healthy enough for stop start to work. So if the battery is old then it can stop working.

There are other reasons such as running the heating on full will prevent stop start. any other electronic problems with any of the various systems in the car can mean stop start turns off. So your rather open ended question does not have one specific answer.

One point worth noting is you need a "special" battery on stop start cars, one that is designed for stop start to work. Without it your battery might initially work but will quickly become faulty and unable to hold enough power for stop start to work. But may otherwise seem to work fine as a normal car battery.
Thank you. I will try and find the monitor on the battery.

Unless you drive 30 mins on the motorway every day, town driving plus a short dual carriage way isn't going to charge the system to the point of the ss working as expected if you only drive say 10 miles to work in town ac on then it's unlikely to cut in

Unless you drive 30 mins on the motorway every day, town driving plus a short dual carriage way isn't going to charge the system to the point of the ss working as expected if you only drive say 10 miles to work in town ac on then it's unlikely to cut in
Thank you John. I drive only locally a a few times a week. I will get my battery checked to make sure it’s up to par. Thank you again

The battery NEEDS to be good

I put a NEW battery on my 2018 .. it will now kill the engine for 5 minutes.. between traffic lights :cool:

Its old battery went onto our 2013.. it kills the engine.. but restarts within 10 seconds.. (n)

Pointless.. so it is now disabled via the switch

DO NOT think your battery is about to fail though.. my 2012 stopped
doing Stop-Start 5 years ago.. the battery is still working well..Now 10 years old original factory battery (y)

Thank you John. I drive only locally a a few times a week. I will get my battery checked to make sure it’s up to par. Thank you again
Do you know how old the battery/car is? Don't be conned into a new battery just for the sake of it, be aware a ss battery is about £100-130 even for the small 500

The battery NEEDS to be good

I put a NEW battery on my 2018 .. it will now kill the engine for 5 minutes.. between traffic lights :cool:

Its old battery went onto our 2013.. it kills the engine.. but restarts within 10 seconds.. (n)

Pointless.. so it is now disabled via the switch

DO NOT think your battery is about to fail though.. my 2012 stopped
doing Stop-Start 5 years ago.. the battery is still working well..Now 10 years old original factory battery (y)
Yeah, batteries can go on to live long and useful lives well after S/S stops working with them. FIAT replaced my car's battery in 2014 with what turned out to be an ordinary lead/acid one (I didn't know the difference back then and I don't think the dealer did either...) but it worked the S/S faultlessly for three years before I put in the EFB battery in 2017 - the latter still operates the S/S perfectly but I usually leave it switched off. The first battery now lives in the garage on a trickle charger and powers our electric gates!

Back