General Stop/Start not working

Currently reading:
General Stop/Start not working

But unless the battery was allowed to go flat, you would expect it to be ok.

The residual current drain will likely fully discharge the battery in about 10-12 weeks. Fully discharged lead acid batteries are quickly ruined.

If they didn't either disconnect the negative terminal, or charge it monthly whilst in the compound, the battery will likely be scrap.

Once disconnected, a new fully charged battery can be safely left for about six months.

If you'd been the first registered keeper, I'd expect them to replace it under warranty. On a prereg, you're technically buying a used car, so they may have some wriggle room on the warranty.

If I'm buying a prereg, I budget for changing the battery in the first couple of years.

The other thing to watch with a prereg is that leaving a car stored outside with a near empty fuel tank containing a splash of E10 for a few months doesn't do the fuel system a whole lot of good either. I'd give some consideration to running it on a premium E5 for at least the first couple of tankfuls, which should dissolve any gum that might have formed.

And for anyone considering buying a prereg (or any car from stock for that matter), lift the bonnet and look for any date stamps you can find on any of the components. It'll give you a good idea of when the car was actually manufactured (on the basis it must be at least after the latest date of component production).

I do the same thing when I'm looking at a secondhand car, particularly a newish one; if you find anything that's dated after first registration, then that component has been replaced. Doing that has sometimes led me to find some well-concealed repaired accident damage.

Last edited:
NOT!
I bought my TA in July 2013 but it was built in Oct 2012. It had exactly 4km on the clock so that's ten months sitting uncharged and it's likely the battery had never had a full charge. I had the same issues with S/S for a year, with dealers constantly fobbing me off with the line that I wasn't doing enough distance to recharge the battery or that the phone charger was robbing the car of power (yes, really!). After 12 months I was getting p'd off and, armed with knowledge gleaned from this forum, went back and insisted they fix it. Here's the result;

View attachment 439425

I wasn't aware at the time but the battery they fitted was an ordinary type, not the correct EFB, nonetheless the S/S worked flawlessly for three years Until I finally found and fitted the EFB which is still in the car today, and the S/S is working to spec.

Having said that the S/S is switched off except for the occasional test - I don't do enough miles for it to make the slightest difference so I prefer to save wear and tear. Yes, the baleful orange 'Eye of Sauron' glows at me reproachfully from the dash but I don't even notice it these days.
Oh dear. Its pretty pathetic when a car maker acts like this. Fiat are really pretty disgusting in this respect.

Mine works flawlessly since I got a varta battery… that’s what I wanted back then but these days I turn it off as soon as I start the engine it’s now a routine…. I’m still on my original 2011 starter motor so I’m not in a hurry to put extra wear on that! Although I do have another in the parts store …. Waiting

Suppose those are some of the pitfalls with a pre reg vehicle. But the £ saving cannot be ignored, especially when it came up to end of Feb and dealer need to clear stock ready for the 24 plates

Suppose those are some of the pitfalls with a pre reg vehicle. But the £ saving cannot be ignored, especially when it came up to end of Feb and dealer need to clear stock ready for the 24 plates
To be honest considering how much you save on the purchase price if you have to pay £100 for a new battery it aint the end of the world now is it!? grating that the dealers dont maintain em properly in the first place i get that! but if you go in with yours eyes open etc etc now we have raised the subject you could bring up in the price discussions and try to get the £100 knocked of extra!

To be honest considering how much you save on the purchase price if you have to pay £100 for a new battery it aint the end of the world now is it
Exactly that.

I got the last Panda for about 27% off list, bought from dealer stock, and that wasn't even prereg - I was the first registered keeper, so I got a full warranty as well. It had only been manufactured a couple of months before I bought it.

You just need to be in the right place with the cash when a dealer needs the sale.

Last edited:
Well Unless it was a factory customer order it's all most certainly spent weeks or months in storage either in a yard or at the dealer waiting to be bought or even put on sale. Even if not pre registered
When I bought my golf brand new in 2015 which I picked up on the 1st of September as a new 65 reg, the car had been at the dealership for a month as I ordered is a month or so below, the car was actually built in July so it was 2 months between being built and me collecting it, 4 weeks was spent at the dealer as I couldn’t collect it earlier as it wasn’t allowed on the road till the 1st of September,

The car would have been in transit from Osnabrück germany for about 2 weeks once it was built, loaded on a train, shipped out to a port, loaded on a car transporter taken to somewhere up north, unloaded and then shipped to the dealership.

Realistically the car was not sat around for any more time than any factory order. The longest time it spent in storage was at my local dealership where I was able to visit it before hand where it was being kept in a heated garage, the last week before collection they displayed the car in a glass room off the side of the dealership (which was locked to customers) again I was able to visit it while in there set up the car and all the electronics such as Bluetooth for my phone.

While there are still some instances of cars sitting around for a long time, they are not sat around for months and months waiting to be sold, otherwise that’s a huge amount of money just sat losing value Even a “new” car that is not selling needs to be sold and is then sold at massive discount which is not good for the manufacturers bottom line.

While you might see big storage areas full of cars you’d be surprised how much those cars are cycled in and out every day.

When I bought my golf brand new in 2015 which I picked up on the 1st of September as a new 65 reg, the car had been at the dealership for a month as I ordered is a month or so below, the car was actually built in July so it was 2 months between being built and me collecting it, 4 weeks was spent at the dealer as I couldn’t collect it earlier as it wasn’t allowed on the road till the 1st of September
You're right; as a general rule, 'just in time' production is the norm; neither manufacturers nor dealers want capital tied up in supply chains, or finished stock.

When manufacturers see a significant number of built but unsold cars accumulating, they normally discount them and sell them off by various means; they don't often sit around for many months.

But it does sometimes happen, so if you're contemplating buying a car from dealer stock, whether prereg or not, it's worth doing a bit of digging to find out how long it's been hanging around.

While there are still some instances of cars sitting around for a long time, they are not sat around for months and months waiting to be sold, otherwise that’s a huge amount of money just sat losing value Even a “new” car that is not selling needs to be sold and is then sold at massive discount which is not good for the manufacturers bottom line.
Granted. Nonetheless mine was ten months old when I first sat in it. 😮 With only 4km on the clock (assuming it had't been fiddled!) it was definitely 'new'. Even given, say, a generous 3-4 months in transit from Poland to Australia that's still 6 months in storage. There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the car that anyone could have known about before sale (though it turned out to have leaking clutch pipe) and it was a quite a desirable model (well, I bought it didn't I?;)) and has proven both reliable and fun to drive. Maybe the black paint, manual shift and/or price put people off - I'll never know anyway.🙃

It's never a good idea to leave a stationary car with the engine running and the clutch depressed; it puts significant stress and wear on the clutch release bearing.

What I'd really like to see is the option to manually activate S/S by pressing a button on the steering wheel. Only the driver knows how long the car is likely to be stopped, and whether it's worth cutting the engine.
In danger of repeating meself id like to see a system that puts the warning light on when its activated! 👍 not when its turned off!!!:unsure:
(CAN YA TELL ITS ME PET HATE!)🤬

I agree, but we've gotta work with what we've got...:rolleyes: At least with mine I don't have to switch if off every time I get in the car! 🙃
Since the trial and error replacement parts scenario off 4 months ago mine has worked perfectly! :unsure: so the upshot of it is- it was pissing me off when it was NOT working!:mad: and know its pissing me off cause it IS! working🤬!
Me and my brain!!!!:eek: im doomed to live in a constant state of irritation i guess!! (IE- theres always something!!!🤨😂.

It's never a good idea to leave a stationary car with the engine running and the clutch depressed; it puts significant stress and wear on the clutch release bearing.

What I'd really like to see is the option to manually activate S/S by pressing a button on the steering wheel. Only the driver knows how long the car is likely to be stopped, and whether it's worth cutting the engine.
Having grown up with old cars and carbon thrust clutch release bearings I'm always very careful about sitting with the clutch pedal depressed for longer than is necessary. Edinburgh is a very hilly city, being built on 7 hills, so there are plenty of traffic lights situated on hills and i find myself absolutely cringing at the number of people I come across holding the car, on the hill, on the clutch, until the lights change. Release bearings, being now almost universally of the sealed ball bearing type, can put up with this sort of treatment to a degree but not if you do it all the time. Worth considering too, that the diaphragm spring on a clutch cover plate is a mightily strong spring. You can stand on one and fail to depress it! When you press the clutch pedal down the release bearing pushes against this spring to free up the clutch driven (some call it friction) plate. This diaphragm spring is part of the clutch cover assembly which is bolted to the engine flywheel which is in turn bolted to the end of the crankshaft, So, when you push the clutch pedal down and depress this humongously strong diaphragm spring you are, in effect, trying to push the crankshaft out of the front of the engine! So what stops this happening? In most cases a couple of small, white metaled, thrust washers! So keep your foot off the clutch pedal unless you actually need to free the clutch up to change gear etc. Mr Scott, the old chap who taught all us kids to drive back in the 60s, used to slap you on the upper left leg if he caught you sitting with the pedal depressed without due cause while he was teaching you - on reflection, I wonder if he did that to my sister? That thought never occurred to me before (innocent times back then) This thrust washer thing is one reason why I really don't like that you have to depress the clutch pedal of most modern cars before the starter motor will work. I remember the Triumph 2000 was particularly prone to trust bearing wear, you could push and pull on the front crankshaft pulley and be rewarded by a loud "Clonk" on most of them. When they got really bad the engine would stall when the clutch was depressed because there would be nothing left of the thrust washers and the crankshaft would be trying to mill it's way through the main bearings!

Coming to grips now with the Scala. The stop start is easily and quickly deactivated with a button down just behind the gear lever:

P1110646.JPG

I prefer this placement compared to the Ibiza, which had it higher up on the dash, because it's we orange light doesn't intrude into your field of vision when driving and it's very easy to reach.

The other thing I wanted to be able to do was disable the lane keeping assist. I don't want it permanently disabled because I've had rental vehicles with this feature and quite like it on dual carriageways and motorways but I don't want it in town and on wee country roads. turns out it's really easy to do. The right hand steering wheel spoke has controls built in (as does the left hand spoke in fact) which look like this:

P1110647.JPG

All you do is press that wee sign of the car with circle (top left of control) which brings up a list of 4 options on the wee display between the rev counter and speedo on the main dash. The first thing listed is "Lane Assist" with a wee tick sign in it's box. So you don't even need to navigate to another position, you just select this by pressing the chromed scroll wheel on the steering wheel spoke and it deselects this function. The whole thing, turning off the Stop/start and turning off the Lane assist are done in the blink of an eyelid. Of course it all defaults to "on" next time you start the engine but i'd got used to doing the stop/start on the Ibiza anyway and it's so easy to do on the Scala I'm more than happy with it. If you want you can also do it all using the main infotainment screen but it's a more awkward process so why would you?

By the way, the infotainment system is already asking me to initiate an update and warning me the ignition needs to remain on until the upload is complete - although it then subsequently does the instal whether the ignition is on or not. The garage tells me I need to plan the download for a time when I know my journey time will exceed 15 minutes to be sure of a successful download. Oh deary me, technology? my worst bad dream!

This thrust washer thing is one reason why I really don't like that you have to depress the clutch pedal of most modern cars before the starter motor will work. I remember the Triumph 2000 was particularly prone to trust bearing wear, you could push and pull on the front crankshaft pulley and be rewarded by a loud "Clonk" on most of them. When they got really bad the engine would stall when the clutch was depressed because there would be nothing left of the thrust washers and the crankshaft would be trying to mill it's way through the main bearings!
I was taught to always depress the clutch before turning the key - for two reasons; so the car wouldn't lurch forward (or backward) if you'd forgotten to put it in neutral and also to minimize the load on the starter motor. I've done that for fifty years and really feel uncomfortable starting the car without.

I have no issue with technology except when I feel it usurps my authority as the driver of the car. My last car still had a choke knob!

I was taught to always depress the clutch before turning the key - for two reasons; so the car wouldn't lurch forward (or backward) if you'd forgotten to put it in neutral and also to minimize the load on the starter motor. I've done that for fifty years and really feel uncomfortable starting the car without.

I have no issue with technology except when I feel it usurps my authority as the driver of the car. My last car still had a choke knob!
Yes, my kids - now all in their late 40's/early 50's were all taught to do that and don't seem to have car problems due to it, just I was taught not to and it's stuck with me. Entirely take your point about it jumping if left in gear though. With the older cars, which ran thicker gear oils, and especially some commercials maybe, there was a very noticeable drag effect from the gearbox however i think this is much less of a factor now with the almost water like consistency of modern lubricants and much more robust starter motors.

No use me dwelling on it though because most modern cars won't start unless you depress the clutch pedal! Still don't do it on Becky and other older cars in the "family fleet". Just got a "mental block" about it, silly old duffer that I am!

No use me dwelling on it though because most modern cars won't start unless you depress the clutch pedal! Still don't do it on Becky and other older cars in the "family fleet". Just got a "mental block" about it, silly old duffer that I am!
Ah well, won't be long before clutch pedals have gone the way of choke knobs - only grandad will remember them...

I had a brief spin in an old Borgward in the early 70's; an extra knob on the dash turned out to control the radiator blind!

Last edited:
Ah well, won't be long before clutch pedals have gone the way of the choke knobs - only grandad will remember them...

I had a brief spin in a Borgward in the early 70's; an extra knob on the dash turned out to control the radiator blind!
Im a GREAT grandad and i cant remember my own name most days!:eek:🤣

I know my name, got it writted down on a piece of paper somewhere!

Kids cost a lot more, and give you more trouble, than even Italian cars... 🙃
Its even worse if you have an Italian wife! and two half-Italian daughters !+three grandchildren and three great-grand children!!!- its no bloody wonder i am grey and worn out!😕😣😩

Back