Technical Engine oil for Fiat Ducato Euro 6 2.3 D series

Currently reading:
Technical Engine oil for Fiat Ducato Euro 6 2.3 D series

Labora

There is quite a bit of confusion about what is the correct engine oil for Fiat Ducato with Euro 6 engine. Apparently, there is a standard to which the oil must conform: "fiat 9.55535-DS1". Note the end, there is also a specification "*-S1" and "*-GS1" and Fiat's manual may contain an error.

So it should be "fiat 9.55535-DS1".

Those who buy the "recommended" oil (Selenia) will have to shell out a hefty sum. Besides, there are quite a few brands where, in my opinion, you pay for the name. With a decent range of manufacturers, the choice is also quite large.

The question is: Am I overlooking something? Or is any oil with specification "fiat 9.55535-DS1" more or less equivalent?

As an example, I have "Castrol Magnatec 0W-30 GS1/DS1" in mind as a permanent solution - this oil has specification "fiat 9.55535-DS1" and seems a safe choice. However, Castrol Edge 0W-30 does not have that specification but may be a better quality oil (ACEA C3).

Last edited:
As I understand it, a motor oil consists of a base (link.) Brands then buy that and supply additives to it.

I assume that meeting a specification generally also produces a good motor oil. I also assume that changing cheaper oil more often will ultimately result in less engine wear than letting an overpriced oil serve its full term.

So I come upon a brand and type of Pemco 332 0W-30 (Baltic in origin) that is and favourable in price and meets FIAT 9.55535-DS1. Any thoughts?

I think that Pemco, Mannol and Fanfaro are all brands of the same German company (Meisteroel?). I've happily used Mannol in my car and boat engines for years but somehow I'm not happy to use it in the Ducato - it's just too cheap :).
Many oils now state 'recommended where Fiat 9.55535-DS1 applies' or 'meets the specification Fiat 9.55535-DS1' but I believe that Selenia WR Forward 0w30 remains the only oil with approval to that standard (although apparently Ravenol FES 0w30 passed approval testing but Ravenol decided not to pay the licencing fees - it remains another oil that is 'recommended' but not 'approved').

it's just too cheap :)
And that is exactly my problem too. It is probably FUD and as a result we choose expensive as some sort of quality guarantee.

I decided to ask manufacturers some opinions... See this link.

may be a better quality oil (ACEA C3).
My understanding from reading this https://penriteoil.com.au/knowledge-centre/Specifications/194/acea-service-classifications/364 is that, basically, C3 is a bit thicker than C2. So its not a case of being better quality, just a bit different.
Like so many things its a compromise - Thinner oil is better for cold starting and lower friction/emissions, thicker oil is better for protection.
Fiat have to give a recommendation for worldwide climates. But being on an island surrounded by water warmed by the gulf stream we never get extremes of cold. So could probably benefit from using a slightly thicker oil
Fiat recommend 0w30 C2.
I'm using Tesco (made by Carlube Bury) 5w40 C3.
(because Tesco Oban discontinued the 4 litre bottle size and were selling what they had left at £5 each so I went mad)

Perhaps just as important is the oil filter
The best filtration material is synthetic but its more expensive than the old paper type

I'm not happy to use it in the Ducato - it's just too cheap :).
Reminds me of the Stella Lager advertising campaign in UK saying it was 'Reassuringly Expensive'
It was the same price as regular lager across the channel because they weren't daft enough to fall for it
So we used to bring plenty of it back :)

I've created a viscosity table here. Interesting with Selenia as a reference, viscosity indices (Selenia 194) vary a lot between 165 (Fuchs) and 204 (Shell). The KV100 column is also of interest. It shines a different light on things, what do you think?

I wonder if a thicker (more viscous) than recommended oil may be better for euro 6 engines. If less oil gets passed the rings etc perhaps the DPF and EGR Cooler will stay clean longer.

As far as I can see, the only disadvantage of a slightly thicker oil is it absorbs slightly more engine power - like stirring a thick liquid in a bowl uses more energy than a thin liquid. And Fiat have to go to extreme measures to minimise friction/emissions to meet Euro6d
But since thicker oil reduces the chances of metal to metal contact and engine wear, and since in UK we never get Arctic cold starts that need a really thin oil, I am happy to go slightly thicker and get the benefit of less engine wear. The viscosity difference between 0w30C2 and 5w40C3 is tiny anyway.

As far as I can see, the only disadvantage of a slightly thicker oil is it absorbs slightly more engine power
Equals more diesel and, only if the oil pump has trouble transporting cold thick oil, poorer lubrication during cold starts, short trips. The latter is debatable, the opposite is true as well.
And Fiat have to go to extreme measures to minimise friction/emissions to meet Euro6d
That is a hidden argument indeed. The relative high viscosity index of Selenia helps here to achieve low friction while securing cold lubrication.
Some viscosity indices VI in the table are really low, relative seen. Finally went for Helix: C3 (i.e. "thicker"), does have the highest VI and is priced very competitive, paid € 8.7 per Liter. We don't have Stella Lager 5W40 here unfortunately ;-)

Last edited:
This is a chart I scanned from my 2009 Citroen Relay Handbook which indicates that (although 0w30 is recommended for worldwide use) 5w40 is OK down to minus 30C

Attachments

• X250 oil viscosity.jpg
    X250 oil viscosity.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for all input here. The article even contains a nice and valuable quote from Royal Dutch Touring Club ANWB about the subject. At the end I clarified my choice:

I concur with the view that a cheaper product is often more than enough. Still, there are clear differences visible between the products. From my point of view, the use is mainly long distances and somewhat higher use temperatures. If you look at the viscosity index column, you will see Helix at the top with a viscosity at 100 °C that is also the highest. Taking into account that there are excellent offers and that the oil is readily available internationally, this was ultimately the reason for choosing this. I paid €8.66 per litre, delivery included.
Those who drive short trips or live in a cold climate, for example, may want to choose a different oil. And as mentioned, the cheapest will certainly not be a bad choice either. It was an extraordinary quest to finally come to a choice and I hope this article gives some insights.
My oil was delivered to a collection point. This was, how ironic, a Shell petrol station. As I walk out with my box of oil, I see in the corner of my eye exactly the same oil listed for a price of €24.50 per litre. That’s three times what I paid for it! There is a curious pricing mechanism behind it. You could almost say it is a somewhat shady trade.

How do I know if my ducato is a series D? What I know of the vehicle is:
2021 fiat ducato 2.3L 160ps maxi

From the German registration, see the screenshot.

Thank you!! 🙏🏻

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240225-123430_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20240225-123430_Trebuchet.png
    149 KB · Views: 47
Back