Technical 1997 Ducato engine oil leak

Currently reading:
Technical 1997 Ducato engine oil leak

martysnox

Hey,
just recently spotted a new oil leak coming out of this area. Doesnt seem anything major but does seep out when parked stationary and covers everything else when driving. Looking for information on where its coming from, what parts need to be replaced and any tips on repairing it.
1997 2.5 Ducato.

Thanks
Marty

Attachments

• 20240224_171700 leak.jpg
    20240224_171700 leak.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 75
  • 20240224_171700.jpg
    20240224_171700.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
Hey,
just recently spotted a new oil leak coming out of this area. Doesnt seem anything major but does seep out when parked stationary and covers everything else when driving. Looking for information on where its coming from, what parts need to be replaced and any tips on repairing it.
1997 2.5 Ducato.

Thanks
Marty
From having 2.5 and 2.8 versions of that Sofim engine in Iveco Daily's I am guessing it is the brake vacuum pump seals that are leaking.
The whole unit is bolted to the engine but serves the injector pump, power steering pump, brake vacuum pump and oil filter mounting etc.
On inspection you will probably find a single hose from there up to the brake servo drum as a clue.
There is some pdf I think to download which will make it clearer.
Can't say I have ever needed to fix oil leak at that point though and some had done in excess of 200k miles.:)

Three m6 bolts retain the cover plate. Under cover plate there is a thin o ring around the periphery of the vacuum pump. Replace the oil ring, refit cover plate , do not over tighten the three fixing bolts.
Oil will leak out when cover plate removed.
Only do the above if the pump has its own oil supply from engine.
If it does not have oil feed from engine it should be removed to bench for service.

Before doing any of the above check that oil is not dripping onto vacuum pump from higher up.

Last edited:
Three m6 bolts retain the cover plate. Under cover plate there is a thin o ring around the periphery of the vacuum pump. Replace the oil ring, refit cover plate , do not over tighten the three fixing bolts.
Oil will leak out when cover plate removed.
Only do the above if the pump has its own oil supply from engine.
If it does not have oil feed from engine it should be removed to bench for service.

Before doing any of the above check that oil is not dripping onto vacuum pump from higher up.
Hi Jackwhoo,

Is there anyway to tell if it has it own oil supply?

The part it is bolted to has oil running through it as it mounts the oil filter assembly and on the early Ivecos it was also used as the oil filler neck.
The same main assembly has, from memory two large spigots with O rings where it bolts to the engine block, so I am assuming there is a ready supply of oil at least to the drive end of the brake vacuum pump.
I don't ever recall seeing another pipe or feed on it apart from the vacuum pipe to the brake servo it's self, although @jackwhoo will have more current information than me.:)

From what bugsymike wrote that it has oil at opposite end to cover plate then you can remove and refit the cover plate on the vehicle- be aware some oil will run out possibly a cup full.

Back