Technical Help ! 2013 Ducato 2.3 Euro 5 X250

Currently reading:
Technical Help ! 2013 Ducato 2.3 Euro 5 X250

Murrayxxx77

We have a 2013 X250 2.3 Multijet which has done 35,000 miles. We had cambelt and water pump changed 1000 miles ago, as well as oil and filter change. We are now in Spain and the van has overheated with 'Insufficient engine oil pressure' displayed. Temperature gauge was midway and normal, oil level was normal. Engine block was very hot but radiator cool. Fans did not come on. After waiting a few hours we set off again. Temperature slow to get to normal and all seemed well for 50km but stopping for fuel we got 'Insufficient engine oil pressure' displayed and 'Change engine oil'. Again, temperature gauge normal. We had the oil and filter changed at a garage and they said all was well. 20km later ... same pressure warning. Hot engine, cool radiator. Now waiting on our breakdown cover to find a garage. Weekend and local holiday .. great !Question is .... is it the thermostat or faulty water pump ? The thermostat appears to be working as its sensing heat from engine and possibly allowing some cold from radiator but, it appears there's no water circulation so .. water pump ? Help !

Only a guess but perhaps there is an air lock in the cooling system?
System checked for air locks and been bled. I did notice on another post someone had plastic impellers on two waterpumps fail in short space of time. Insisted on metal impeller and all well.

System checked for air locks and been bled. I did notice on another post someone had plastic impellers on two waterpumps fail in short space of time. Insisted on metal impeller and all well.
So did you sort it what happened ?

So did you sort it what happened ?
Hi, I think the cause may have been the engine fan not working (still isn't). It has now been to 2 garages (one a Fiat garage) who could see no faults etc. Both sat and revved the engine to get the temperature 'hot' and it sat dead on 'normal'. I did say to both garages 'did the fans come on?' and got a vague 'I think so'. I've checked fan fuses which are okay and tapped relay (which I'll replace as soon as I can) to see if its stuck open. Aircon fan works with aircon on. We are in Spain where it's in the high 20s and quite mountainous so using cabin fan + full heat when in hilly bits.
From what I've read, it's fairly common and usually a break in a wire to ECU or fan which can be a pain to find. A lot have bypassed and put a manual switch in cab.
Thermostat was also changed.
To answer your question ... not sorted, but possibly diagnosed, I think, and hopefully sorted when we get home. Fingers crossed for no long term engine damage.

Back